1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 with leather seats?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by schultkl, Sep 14, 2013.

1. schultkl

schultkl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Noticed an AutoTrader advertisement (sorry...I cannot post links, yet x_x) for a 2005 Prius with leather seats...but Motor Trend's package list (again, sorry, I can't post links...) for that year doesn't list leather seats...is Motor Trend's site wrong? Or did they take seats from a different model year and put them in the 2005? Or...?

Reproducing the ad text, below, since not sure how long the ad will exist:

Seller Comments
    Buy with confidence! This vehicle come with 3 months or 3000 miles warranty. Ask for details. Clean Carfax!, and One Owner. This car is nicely equipped with features such as 1.5L I4 SMPI DOHC, GPS Navigation, CD (Multi Disc), Premium Sound, Leather Seats, Rear Spoiler and more. For more information, please visit our website at , Thank you and we look forward to fulfilling your automotive needs. Great Deals on Quality Wheels- Infinitif Auto Sales!

All Prices Are plus Government fees & taxes, any finance charges, any dealer document preparation charge, any emission testing charge. All cars subject to prior sale. All prices subject to change without notice.

2. stillageek

stillageek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Plausible. They aren't factory. They are either dealer installed or owner installed covers.

3. sportcoupe

sportcoupe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I was Prius shopping I found lots of 04-05 Prii with leather even though Toyota didn't offer leather. Seems it was very popular for dealers to install leather seats on many a Prius for an upcharge. You'll notice the steering wheel isn't leather though as the factory would have done.

4. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd go take a look if I were you. The Premium 6 CD Changer (with MP3 capability if it's the original Toyota Unit) sounds like the top of the range JBL unit found in a Touring model. Ditto with the "spoiler" mentioned - if it's the big one, then that's likely a near top of the range Touring model you're looking at. Go take a physical look. Check the wheels! Are they 16 inch tyres? Touring! And as for the leather seats, scour this web site or any online brochures for the real McCoy, chances are it might well be one of the earliest Touring models out there. You'll do best by seeing it in the metal :)

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Leather began being offered in 2006, and even then certain states did not get it right away, so pre 06' its installed aftermarket.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  6. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For the US market, you're probably right and doubtlessly know better. However, across the pond, I'm looking at a genuine 2005 Prius Gen II "T Spirit" (Touring in the US) with Black Leather - and it's factory. It's not uncommon for the odd vehicle to slip through with a few extras normally not supplied. It may well have originally been a demo vehicle to test the market. Or not. But I'd err on the side of caution and assume you're right of course :)

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In the UK I believe leather was an option on all models of the Prius from 2004. Personally an option I think that looks good, but does not suit our climate. Having had a number of company cars with leather I find it to hot to sit on in the summer and to cold in the winter.

John (Britprius)

8. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're right about the real life shortcomings of a leather interior John :). However, my personal choice of going for all available options on my T Spirit, including leather really was purely cosmetic - for "prestige"........or shall we say "Vanity" :p

Y'see, I've never had a highly specified car in my entire life - definitely nothing with leather seats! With all my mates / family friends now swanning around in second hand luxurious executive barges they often have great difficulty maintaining, I thought it was about time I got myself something to at least rival their luxury rides, hence my going "Hell for Leather......lol".

My last car had a very large Bass Radiator Box in the boot with an equally powerful Amp. I'd installed it years ago, not because I wanted to wake the neighbourhood up.....I never did, but because I simply never had the "pleasure" of having one. So I did. I part exchanged it with the MX-3. I'd had enough of it - I'm happy with the Prius JBL unit now ;)

So, I'm very pleased with my leather seats, despite the fact they smell so new, they give my poor wife a headache!! For me, it means I can hold my head high and extol the virtues of my equally luxurious wonderfully spacious Prius Spaceship to my friends - and I can tell you they ALL have Prius Envy :D

Britprius likes this.
  9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I do know what you mean about the appearance of luxury and the smell is great, but getting in the car on a hot day with shorts or a freezing cold morning is not my idea of heaven.
    I also have the Tspirit, but with cloth seats. My real disappointment with the car was no heated mirrors
    "in our climate(n)" something I have now fitted.
    Have you set up the satnav to the voice command home "a real crowd pleaser" and have you tried giving the instruction "I'm hungry".

John (Britprius)

10. schultkl

schultkl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sportcoupe: Very good : o ) Yes, it does not have the leather steering wheel.

Data Daedalus: If I had to guess, I'd say it's not a Touring package #6, sadly...though it does seem like a Standard package #6, which does include JBL...the 10th character of the VIN, JTDKB20U357045546, indicates a 2005 model...and from my understanding Toyota only sold US Touring cars in the 2007-2009 model years. Also, the tyres don't have seven spokes...so, *hope crushed* LOL ; o )

Paradox, Data Daedalus: Thanks for the insights on factory options in the USA/UK : o )

BritPrius: Can you clarify what you mean by setting up the satnav to respond to "a real crowd pleaser" and "I'm hungry" ? : o )

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With the voice recognition satnav you can set your home location and give it any voice command you wish, so if you set home as your destination by voice the satnav will take you home from wherever you are at the command "home".
    If you give the command "I am hungry" it will take you to the nearest restaurant.

John (Britprius)

Data Daedalus and schultkl like this.
  12. schultkl

schultkl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Is this available in the 2005 Prius or is this third-party?

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Being in the UK I do not know what is available in the US for a given year of car. It is available in the UK 2005 Prius as OEM but only on the top of the range Tspirit model. From 2006 on the same car has a reversing camera with "auto park assist". Meaning the car will reverse it's self into a parking spot.

John (Brtprius)

schultkl likes this.
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    '04-'05 was prior to the Touring model being offered IIRC.
    Our '04's leather wasn't installed until '05 .... because by that time there was more competition with after market vendors.

15. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fascinating option on the UK "T Spirit" indeed; the voice control capability on the NAV - in fact I just used it this very evening and I find it extremely useful when I've navigated somewhere obscure and need to lay in a course for home with as little hassle as possible. This evening a good friend of mine I hadn't seen in a while got to take a first ride in my T Spirit. She'd never heard of these amazingly advanced Hybrid's until today. After driving off smoothly and soundlessly in stealth mode, an experience that simply stunned her, I treated her to the simple "Audio On" voice command, and the music that wafted forth seconds later almost made her swoon! After the car responded by talking back to me of course.........

When I first bought my Gen II Prius and got it home back in June, the first thing I did was spend about 2 hours in the cockpit, with the complete handbook and other Prius Crib Sheets on my iPad. I sat there for two hours setting everything up, the bluetooth phone system with my iPhone, erasing the previous users details and entering my own important telephone numbers in the phone book, speed dial et al.

I literally went over every onboard system accessible from the cockpit with the seriousness and importance of a Boeing 787 Trainee Pilot familiarising himself with the controls. I set up the SAT NAV for work destinations and of course I set up the "Home" voice command function. I recall trying it the first time and feeling as pleased as punch. The other thing that gave me the most pleasant shock of my life was the SAT NAV voice piping up on the way home to inform me that my route ahead had severe congestion 5 miles away and would I like to re-route?. How did it know that?!! Yes, sure I have a good idea, but I wasn't expecting to get that little, yet very useful extra with my purchase! I definitely love my "Spaceship"...!!! :)

schultkl likes this.
  16. sportcoupe

sportcoupe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a list of available voice commands somewhere? I have the option in my Prius but the owners manual doesn't go into much detail that I could find.

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Use the link below, then go to post 15 as the first link no longer works.
    List of Voice Commands

John (Britprius)

18. brownsnoutuk

brownsnoutuk Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my 05 has the JBL system, but does not play mp3s.

schultkl likes this.
  19. schultkl

schultkl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aw, that's too bad : o \ Hmm...I wonder what year MP3-compatible JBL audio systems came stock?

20. Ed Carmack

Ed Carmack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently bought an 05 prius with package 6 that has leather seats. It was originally sold in TX. I passed the car on to my daughter so don't have the option listing in hand but it has leather seats and trim in very nice condition and they appear to my untrained eye be factory installed. The MSRP on the car was around 30K, so they may have been installed by the dealer. There was nothing in the maintenance records with the car that indicated later installation.