1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2006 Prius HELP!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MonkMonkey, Sep 27, 2014.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume Monk is over 100k miles and not many 2006's will be older than mine and mine turned 8-yrs old a couple weeks ago.
    But Monk should advise us ODO Miles and date of purchase date if he has not already.

2. MonkMonkey

MonkMonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's something that may help...I put the display screen into diagnostic mode and took it for a drive. It drove normally for a little bit, then I felt a "jerk". The problem then started. The VSC and small orange "!" lights came on. The 12v voltage started to jump from 12.5-14.5v. What does that tell you?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would start by replacing the inverter. However it is also possible that the transaxle (which houses MG1) will also need to be replaced.

Used inverters can be easily found on eBay or salvage yards, for example autobeyours.com

They are fairly easy to install if you have reasonable DIY skills.

If the transaxle needs to be replaced that will be much more difficult. Typically the engine and transaxle are removed as one unit after the suspension is taken out. Used transaxles are pretty inexpensive, the big charge will be for labor time.

I doubt that Toyota would give the OP a break on repair pricing since he bought the car in its current failed condition.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I forget if we already told you the first step is always to assume the 12v battery could be bad and causing the probs...need to check that first

5. MonkMonkey

MonkMonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another symptom...the car sometimes has trouble shifting from neutral to drive or reverse. Doesn't always do it.

6. MonkMonkey

MonkMonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Get the code reads then report back here with the results. Your problem might be different. Upside, you are inBay Area and have two reputable independent mechanics (Art's Automotive and Luscious Garage).

"Maintenance Required," light is just an oil change reminder light. Its triggered every 5,000 miles, and stays on until reset. Owners manual has the reset procedure. Since you might ask:
    • Get odometer to total mileage odometer, if it happens to be on Trip A or B odometer.
    • Turn car off.
    • Keep ODO Trip button DEPRESSED; don' let go.
    • Keep foot OFF brake.
    • Press Power button Twice.
    • Six dashes will appear, where odometer mileage numbers where, then goes to 5 dashes, 4 dashes, 3 dashes, 2 dashes, 1 dash, then six zeroes appear, finally mileage odometer reading again.
    • Maintenance Required light is now reset until 5,000 miles.
    • Release Trip ODO button. Turn car off or start car.

#28 exstudent, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    Kay-Kay likes this.
  9. Maria Navarro

Maria Navarro New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the info. We had our oil change done already. But still it lits. I will try to manually reset it today. How can i find the diagnostic code?

This is what shows up on my dashboard when i start the engine

I manually reset the odometer. When i turn it on maitenance reqd still lits up but now it disappeard immediately. And its not blinking anymore. Did i do it right?

I manually reset the odometer. When i turn it on maitenance reqd still lits up but now it disappeard immediately. And its not blinking anymore. Did i do it right?

Attached Files:

#29 Maria Navarro, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
  10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  11. MonkMonkey

MonkMonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's something else that occurs. The tail lights/ dash lights will flicker when the problem occurs.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe a bad alternator?

13. MonkMonkey

MonkMonkey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I disconnected the 12V battery to reset codes. Reconnected it and drove to autozone and the only code that showed was the inverter converter so I assume that must be the main problem. How hard is this to install? Any DIY's how to install one?

14. Kay-Kay

Kay-Kay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you exstudent. Just got this reset today. Realized my mileage wasn't reset the last time the oil was changed so this light came up and I came here to find a way of resetting it.
    Highly appreciate.