1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Chirping and Vibration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Eclipse, Aug 3, 2022.

1. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I missed that part of the details. Never mind.

2. Eclipse

Eclipse New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    No worries, thank you so much for providing some possibilities as to what it could be. Are you or bisco aware of how the motor bolts up to the electric motor? Could it be a coupler, shaft, bearing? I really don't know what it looks like so I'm just guessing.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    #23 bisco, Aug 23, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  4. Eclipse

Eclipse New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks for sharing this, I really appreciate your help! That was a great video. I'll share it with my mechanic to see if he thinks it might be part of the problem.

bisco likes this.
  5. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    SO the noise is there when the engine is under load.......it seems... Something could be loose between the engine and the transmission. Regardless this sounds like a hybrid specific mechanic needs to check out. Dare I say take it to the Stealership?....it is not higher pitched so I dont think it would be your wheel bearings. Have you checked those for play just due to the age? Also clean out your hybrid battery fan squirrel cage.....and if more than 100K miles and you don' t have a record of it......replace the hybrid coolant pump with an OEM toyota one. $118 on Amazon or check Olathe Toyota online. That have great parts prices. Also a new cabin air filter, and regular air filter are worth a check...but if you are getting 58mpg....those are probably clean.....worth a look.

6. Eclipse

Eclipse New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks for those tips, I really appreciate it! I'll have to look into the coolant pump and the fan since those are definitely important. The wheel bearings and air filter checked out great so those are covered. I haven't had a chance to post after I took it to my mechanic (fortunately not a stealership) but I found the issue! I will post what I found in a new post. Thanks again!

7. Eclipse

Eclipse New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    So I took my car in to my mechanic last Friday and I found the issue!!!! He put me in the car up on the lift so I could recreate the issue (I had to accelerate and then hit the brake with a little gas for it to chirp). He traced it down to the motor mount where he found a chunk of metal wedged on top of the mount. I have no clue how it got there or what it is but I'm guessing it fell when from the top when someone was working on it and got wedged? What a crazy find! Either way, the car is finally quiet and it is so nice! I really appreciate everyone who was willing to help!

20220826_094751.jpg 20220826_094755.jpg 20220826_101719.jpg

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That piece was originally connected to the part where you found it so is not some foreign matter that fell down. It is believed to be a harmonic dampener.

WHCSC likes this.
  9. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    +1 to dolj

That is a "tuned mass damper" weight. Toyota engineers had some vibration they wanted to minimize so they came up with that. A chunk of metal attached to the engine mount with rubber.

You can do without it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. Eclipse

Eclipse New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thank you Dolj and mr_guy_mann! I appreciate you letting me know! That would make sense why it was resting on the motor mount. Hopefully, this helps others who find that their car is making the same awful noise. Thanks again!