1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2007 Replacement Key: Different keys in USA vs Canada

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hanging on with 286k, Mar 10, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Hanging on with 286k

Hanging on with 286k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello. I moved to Canada from USA a while back with my 2007. Today at the dealership, they told me that the key they ordered may be different and not have a metal key inside, because it is Canadian and the car is US. Has this happened to you? If it is just a FOB, I can order that on Amazon and program myself with The Chicken Dance.... ?

Tombukt2 likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I would think they would be ordering a key by your VIN number which would dictate that they would be ordering a key for a SKS or non-SKS USA based automobile? One would hope anyway. I'm assuming they took your VIN number and did all that stuff. But yes you could just order a cheap case on eBay or wherever from an American market car with or without the silver logo whatever it is you need and move your stuff from your old case to the new one and everything should work that is if it's working now if your green board is out or any of that nonsense then you need to get well the green board at least to dance with in whatever case you choose. If you have SKS and the little transponder chip don't forget to move that over to whatever case you're going to be using.

Hanging on with 286k likes this.
  3. Hanging on with 286k

Hanging on with 286k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both SKS and non-SKS have an RFID chip. It is the only part of the electronics in fobs that is common across all trim levels.

Hanging on with 286k likes this.