1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2008 OEM backup camera add-on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by DangNabbit, Jun 3, 2018.

1. DangNabbit

DangNabbit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I am looking for more information about the OEM backup camera. I was reading from older threads saying the wiring is currently there and it is just plug and play.

I have a 2008 package 1 with cruise. No SKS, no nav.

I bought the OEM backup camera from a junk yard and also got a wiring harness from a different Prius.

I see the pre-wiring in the rear hatch area. I tried plugging in the new harness to the camera but did not get anything to show up on the MFD.

Has anyone added the OEM camera to a non backup camera Prius?

2. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If your Prius did not have the camera or nav, you probably have the low-res MFD screen that cannot show the backup camera. Look in your owner's manual at the MFD info, if it shows a Type I, Type II and Type III then you can identify the MFD based on the "splash" screen (Toyota logo) and Hybrid screen. So, you might have the wiring, but a screen that can't use it.

3. DangNabbit

DangNabbit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I need to check which one I have.

I was reading other threads and I thought the 2008+ all were the higher res screens.

There are some guys who were able to get the camera to work on a 4 button MFD. I don’t know if they still are on the forums.

4. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Type2.jpeg Type3.jpeg
    Press "Info", If you have a Type A, then it is the newer hi-res MFD and should be able to show the backup camera, if you have Type B, then it is the older, low-res model that was used in all non-nav 2004/2005 and base 2006-2009, and cannot show the backup camera without an expensive adapter (Type B uses RGB, not standard composite video).
    Otherwise, if you remove the MFD, there is a label with the model number on the back.

5. OBJUAN

OBJUAN Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I just installed the 86110-47210 MFD into my base 05, replacing the original "47080 MFD".
    ITbland's M13 pin out data was perfect, re attached. The big wires came out easy but the violet
    on pin 25 was stubborn. I used a very fine jewellers screw driver. Make sure
    the locking bar is out, then push the screw driver firmly into the hole closest to the
    edge and it will pop. Then you can pull out the violet wire. I'm still sorting out the REV+
    line for pin 21....

I've ordered some shielded 3 core cable from aliexpress for the camera feed.
    Still figuring out the mount since there is no factory hole in the hatch for the camera.
    It's aluminum so magnets won't help to hold it in place. A picture, with minimal parallax,
    of a hatch showing the camera hole and the two holes near it for mounting the plastic piece
    that holds the backup lights and door lock release would be a great help to make a template.....

Attached Files:

6. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Usually the best place to pick up the reverse line is in the passenger footwell. It is detailed in another of these backup camera threads, I'll look for it and link it here.
    Edit: here is the link: Wires connection of back-up camera to MFD !!!
    Also, keep an eye on @DangNabbit , he is doing the conversion also and has posted some spectacular info.

#6 ITBland, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  7. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not the best pictures (not straight on), but I included my 8 1/2 X 11 sheet (folded) and used it on my (now gone) 2004. hope this helps!
    IMG_0965.JPG IMG_0966.JPG

DangNabbit likes this.
  8. DangNabbit

DangNabbit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Here are some pictures I collected from online sources. I’m still in the process of finishing up the mod. I haven’t found a good way to drill and install the OEM camera either.

I hope these images post.

upload_2018-8-12_17-30-39.png

upload_2018-8-12_17-31-4.png

upload_2018-8-12_17-31-32.png

upload_2018-8-12_17-32-43.png upload_2018-8-12_17-32-0.png

9. OBJUAN

OBJUAN Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Nice try anyway, never be able to get the parallax corrected.
    Hoping the wrecker here still has a unit on the lot, will find out tomorrow...