2008 Prius burning oil and need options...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CU David, Mar 14, 2017.

1. CU David

CU David Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Prius Community!
    I've got a 2008 with 163,500 on the clock. I love the car and have had great luck with it only now she burns about 2 quarts of high mileage synthetic oil every 2500 miles. I want to gift the car to my 18 year old daughter but don't trust her to keep up with the maintenance. I want to give her a car she can go off to college with and not have to worry about, but the oil situation is really concerning me.

My question is: Does it make any sense to invest in a reconditioned engine from Toyota or online? Or should I just handle the oil changes when she comes home from school? Or do I bite the bullet and get her a Prius C?

If I dropped a recon. engine in, what kind of costs would I be looking at? Also, I have the original battery pack in there and don't know how much longer they will run. Does that factor into the equation?

I appreciate any and all thoughts.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's a hybrid shop in Orange county that advertises prius engines installed for about $1300. But there's no guarantees that used engine will be any better than yours.

And of course the battery, is always a concern. 2008 batteries are not as well built as a 2004. So it probably would fail or leak during the time your 18 year old has it in college.

I'd sell it and buy something you know will be reliable for your kid.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  3. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    change your PVC valve (look up how too video on you tube) part is about $10 and the labor is just over an hour.

might help.

4. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2006 Prius had the same issue. Tried many cheap fixes and non of them worked. Finally, I had to have the engine rebuilt ($5.5K) with a brand new short block in 2013. The repair was performed by Toyotech of Montclair, CA. They took their time (1 week) and did an excellent job. Due to internal engine oil burning issue, the catalytic converter and its associated sensors ($1.6K) may also need to be replaced in the near future. A new HV battery installed will cost around $3.4K at Longo Toyota.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your rebuilt engine was $5500?

6. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    so you put 10 grand into a 10 year old car that's worth 4? I have some stuff to sell you.

7. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    maybe it was in pesos

'LectroFuel likes this.
  8. tvpierce

tvpierce Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Try a heavier weight oil. Start with 10-30. If you see some improvement, try 10-40 and see what happens.

9. Mavi

Mavi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I got mine replaced for $1200 in orange county with a 80k mile engine. 20k miles later, and it's still good.. not consuming any oil as of yet.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do you know the engine had 80k miles? It's what they told you?

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Give your daughter a better car (not sure the Prius C qualifies :) ), and you keep the 2008 since you can trust yourself (but not her) to keep an eye on the engine oil level. Also there is a lot of drama in college and your daughter doesn't need to have one more source.

2. When my wife and I gave our daughter a Prius six years ago upon college graduation, we gave her the 2007 instead of the 2004 because my wife reasonably pointed out that I would do a much better job of keeping the 2004 running than our daughter could.

3. I would not install a reconditioned engine because the cost is high compared to the market value of your car. When the oil consumption gets bad, install a used engine or get rid of the car.

4. If the oil consumption is low enough that you would be able to take care of the maintenance during semester breaks, then it seems like it is not really much of a problem - unless your daughter plans to drive all over the country on spring break.

12. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Given the complexity of a hybrid, I do NOT think this is a good choice for a kid going off to school.
    ESPECIALLY not one that uses that much oil.

I suggest that an inspection by a good mechanic would be in order first, mainly to be sure it is not leaking oil or sucking it into the intake via the PCV system.

13. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The new short Toyota engine block itself was around $1.9K. Then there were other surrounding Toyota parts such as water pump, timing chain, gaskets etc. The most expansive part was the labor, which also included a typical valve job and other miscellaneous repairs/maintenance around the engine itself.

#13 johnjohnchu, Mar 18, 2017 at 2:54 AM
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017 at 2:59 AM
  14. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've put 4k into replacing the battery and IC pump in mine, and when it was in the accident, the insurance company sunk another 4k to make necessary repairs. I'm keeping this thing until it dies of old age :D