1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Gen 3 Prius completely dead after battery replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jbaflyer, Jan 29, 2016.

1. jbaflyer

jbaflyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Came out one morning went to start car, daily driver, 180k, completely dead. Figured since battery was never replaced went to Toyota and got a new battery. Left on vacation came back 3 weeks later, installed battery, went to start car and still completely dead. No dome light, no brake lights, no head lights, no anything.

Checked battery, full charge under load. Tried to jump start (correct polarity) using my 4x4 Dodge Ram 2500 (incidentally when I am on the freeway and a Prius is trying to merge, I always let them in - and they look at me like something is not right if that big truck is letting me in - lol) and even with a jump start there is no electrical activity anywhere.

Never had a single issue, warning light etc. I am going to get my multimeter out on Monday when I am back from business and check the visible fuses.

I saw this thread for reverse polarity jump, would this 125A fuse be an issue? He had life in some electric so I would assume not.

Reverse Polarity Jump Start - Gen3 Prius wont Start | PriusChat

I would assume it might be the inverter as discussed in other threads?

Does anyone know if this is the issue if there is a test procedure for it?

I found the 2010 Repair Manual and am searching it.

Any further testing suggestions? I will report what I find.

Thanks.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check your battery connections and fuses, dome lights should work if connection is correct.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like JC said just turn on the headlights and see if there nice and bright. If not my first guess is you reverse polarized it somewhere.
    That can cause $$$$ damage to the electrical system.

My opinion on that is there may be something more going on other than reverse jumping since so many people say they did not do that. My hypothesis is with a stone dead battery if you hook a charging device capable of huge current input (Tow Truck-Dodge Ram 2500) the resulting initial current inrush to 0 volt flat dead battery damages the 12 volt buss. Blows fuses if your lucky or worse damages the Inverter.

So for me the takeaway is if you know the battery is stone dead 0 volt don't jump it in the car. Better off towing it home and replacing the battery or battery tend it till its ok. Alot cheaper in the long run. This is easy to detect. Turn on headlights. If no light at all the battery is toast.
    Beware!!!

For you if no headlights check all the fuses especially the 100 amp thats in the plastic assy on top of the positive terminal of the 12 volt battery itself. Then go into the black fuse box and see if the big fuse under the plastic window is blown. Then check the dome fuse.

Btw, no matter the outcome and I hope its easy that battery is done. When these little agm's get 0 volt'ed and sit for a while they sulphate quickly. Replace it no matter how it tests as it will leave you again when u need it most and again expose your car to the dreaded jump start. That's an easy way to total the car.

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i guess this is a long shot, but when i removed the 12V battery, later i had to power cycle the car a few times before it started right.

5. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Any possibility of having rodents on or about the vehicle while it was parked. Have you seen any brown droppings?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It seems like the dead situation happened suddenly, so maybe (per JC91006) it's fuse blown. Hopefully not reversed polarity, and it seems you've been cognisant of that.

Yeah get multimeter, check voltage on both old and new battery, for starters.

7. jbaflyer

jbaflyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, checked all the fuses good and found out the jumper cables were bad, brand new to.

New issue: Check Hybrid System light came on.

Lights, interior lights, etc, all work on the car. Went in to the MFD Service Menu and checked the voltage status. 10.1v showing telling my probably the Traction Battery is low to. I learned that the Prius was sitting for 45 days without the rear compartment battery in it, and the service plug was not disconnected to the Traction Battery, so I believe the low charge on the Hybrid Traction Battery is the issue, I need more charge in the Traction Battery - The new battery in the rear compartment shows proper charge under load.

So I hooked up the jumpers again and let the Dodge (dual battery engine - could jumpstart a CAT D10 Tractor) truck charge the Prius for 45 mins. I then disconnected the cables, and checked the voltage and it showed 10.7v with NO Check Hybrid System warning light, so that is good and the voltage increased but super slow.

I looked up Hybrid Traction Battery charging on this site, and it seems risky. 2amp max and I have to worry about overheating and ruining cells. At the slow charge rate from the truck (I am at 2500 rpm so I know I am throwing out the amps/volts to the Prius) I would need to let my truck run almost 3 hours to get close to 12v.

Does anyone know min. voltage to start? or an easier way to charge the Hybrid Traction Battery without removing it and risking injury to it, or do I just park the truck and let it charge The Prius for 3 hours? Has anyone hooked up a battery charger to the jumper post on the Prius and charged the Hybrid Traction Battery that way?

I really appreciate all the comments. Thank you.

8. jbaflyer

jbaflyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I also tried power cycling the car 3 times with no different result, and did remove the the Hybrid Traction Battery service plug and rear compartment battery to see if the reset would change anything and it did not.

9. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Does your ICE turn on? That really is the only way to charge your HV battery or use a HV battery charger/conditioner. The 12v battery does not charge it at all.

Let her idle until it shuts down after HV battery reaches minimum charged levels, leave her on READY mode, let the fans cool the HV battery down 30-90 minutes and at the same time check the 12v battery voltage, it should be 13.X-14.X+ volts

10. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO, you are doing too many things in the dark (with no voltage meter) and using broken tools (jumper cable) and faulty logic ("10.1v showing telling my probably the Traction Battery is low to"). you probably should stop before doing more damage.

edthefox5 likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Leaving jump cables hooked up is not going to charge your 12 volt to speak of, either. For the 12 volt, invest in a couple of tools: multimeter and smart charger.

This is really getting gong show, you're not doing anything for the hybrid battery with jumper cables. "Check Hybrid System" warning coming on means something, and there's likely codes stored. A dealership could check that out for you, likely sort things out.

Did you just acquire this car? I'm trying to equate "daily driver, 180K" and "I learned that the Prius was sitting for 45 days...".

DRACO likes this.
  12. jbaflyer

jbaflyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did check everything with my multi-meter, including reading the battery, and used a metered load check on the battery, and checking the fuses. I used the MFD voltage display because I wanted to see the load from the car taking into account everything else. The engine does not start, and I am figuring that is because the voltage is to low. Question, what is the minimum charge level on the traction battery, I see max is the 75/80% charge from other post, but what is the best way to test the traction battery load? i.e. just meter it at the service plug, or is the MFD service display taking into account the traction battery ? I assume the MFD display is giving me a cumulative reading.

13. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well, if SOC is 75/80% ICE should not kick on.

It would help if you have the TIS diagnostic reader to find out what codes you have. A standard OBD2 will not work unless it s Prius aware.

14. jbaflyer

jbaflyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am the owner of the car, and a friend borrowed it who lives 4 hours away, good with cars, but accidentally left the new battery disconnected as he was called up overseas. So when he came back he realized the 12volt was not connected and this is how I got to where I am. I travel international as well, and have left the car parked before 21-30 days no issue. I can only assume the traction battery discharged because the 12v battery was not connected, but I have read elsewhere the traction battery should drain max 1-2% per day in non-use. Car has been terrific, no service issues, and runs great until this. Incidentally, the issue started when he left the dome light on and ran it dead. FYI in college I rebuilt a toyota celica engine ground up and a old bmw so I am mechanically inclined, just haven't played mechanic in 20 years.

15. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So where are you located? maybe a member with the TIS can lend you a hand, if not you may just need to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer for a diagnosis.

"dome light on", hmmm that may have killed the battery. I would take it out and have is load tested at an auto parts store.

16. jbaflyer

jbaflyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do have a ODBII for the truck, tried it and it didn't read, but didn't realize it had to be Toyota specific. Thanks.

17. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes, unfortunately, it must be Prius aware.

18. jbaflyer

jbaflyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a load tester and the 12v. is good in the rear compartment. I will buy a reader, sounds fun, and then take it to the dealer. I miss tinkering on cars. Had three Toyotas, all past 600k, and never got to tinker. Says alot about Toyota. :)

19. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The TIS ranges from $21-60 from Amazon and EBay

Gen 1 has a discussion on both

I have both the cheaper Amazon works with Windows XP or less the eBay will work with all windows os

20. jbaflyer

jbaflyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Cool bought one. Thanks for your help.