1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 - Help! Disabling Reverse Beep

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by sherryp, May 30, 2009.

1. Todor

Todor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Guys, I'm trying to develop an app for Android that does exactly this: disables the reverse beep and allows you to configure other things as well, without geeking out with the ELM terminal. Anyone wanna give it a try? I haven't released it yet, but I'm looking for people to test it now. It'll be free for the testers. Post here if you're interested and I'll let you know how to get it. Thanks.

2. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Is there a Bluetooth ODB II interface requirement?

Nexus 5

3. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. Michael999

Michael999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Had mine disabled but ... they could only change it from a continuous beep to a single beep, and it cost about $30.
    Bizarre that I have to be reminded I am going in reverse, and why on the inside. It's actually distracting and cound increase the chances of problems.

5. Todor

Todor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, you need an ELM327 Bluetooth device. Any cheap ELM327 with Bluetooth will do.

That looks interesting, but again it requires a lot of custom setup. My app should be able to do it with a few clicks, and no technical knowledge required.

So, anybody wanna try it? It can also set many other settings, not just the reverse beep. It does not show live data though.

FrankB likes this.
  6. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A YouTube video of either the ELM terminal or Torque method would probably work just as well.

7. dragonfly13

dragonfly13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd like to give it a try. Are you considering doing something with the navigation system? I'd like my passenger to be able to Input addresses on the fly as I drive.

Todor likes this.
  8. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've got an ELM327 Bluetooth device. I've already modified my reverse beep using Elm 327 Terminal, but I'd be happy to try out your app for other settings.

Frank

Todor likes this.
  9. Todor

Todor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Great, you guys both have messages from me!

10. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Wow. I've used Torque, ELM327 Terminal and they get the job done. But your app is by far the easiest to use. Bravo!

Frank

11. Tropicseed

Tropicseed New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think it's actually a matter of hooking up a laptop (or even a special computer) with the right Toyota service software. The manual for my 2013 Three lists quite a few options you can change, with 3 levels of "accessibility":
    - if you have the base head unit you get a few
    - the HU with satnav gives several more
    - and there are a few that only the dealer can change

I think it's quite unlikely that changing options is done as "easter eggs" these days. Much easier just to not have them available from the normal GUI and require the Toyota program for access.

If you poke through this thread, there are many who have had the reverse beeping turned off by the dealer, or by themselves with special equipment. I'll get it done when I take my Prius in for its first service. I believe you can also have the climate control changed so the auto setting does not turn on the AC, which I would prefer.

Personally, I would rather have the dealer do it as they would have the liability. I'd hate to get a hex number a bit wrong and change something important without realizing it!

Patrick

12. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

You can change the AC auto setting among other things. Todor's app puts it all in a GUI on Android if you have a Bluetooth ELM327.

Frank

13. Tropicseed

Tropicseed New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sure, i'd love to try it! If you noticed my post earlier today,I was put off by the terminal emulator complexities, but your app sounds great.
    patrick

14. Todor

Todor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the feedback Frank! Tropicseed, I'm sending you a message with the details on how to get the app.

15. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would like to check out your app.

16. Todor

Todor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a message. Thanks!

17. David Foxworth

David Foxworth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would like to take a look at your app also.

18. Todor

Todor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a message.

For everyone who is interested, the app is called Carista and you can get the beta-test version that has the new Toyota customizations from this page:
    Carista Beta-Testing | Prizmos Ltd

Thanks!

19. gmay013114

gmay013114 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just read some of the posts in this thread, didn't read all of them. I was able to get the dealer to reduce the reverse beep to one beep, said they couldn't turn it off completely. I also tried to get them to change the A/C to not go into recirculate mode when the system was set to Auto, nothing worse than hot air being blasted in your face when starting the car on a 95 degree day. They said it couldn't be changed, so I just keep it in manual mode. Is there a way to change the system so that it doesn't go into recirculate mode and come on full blast every time, also comes on full blast when pressing the front defrost button as well. Worse heat and A/C system I have ever used, simple dials would be much easier to use.

20. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Have you tried raising the temperature? Are you in ECO?