1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 is done

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Mike J 34208, May 25, 2020.

1. Mike J 34208

Mike J 34208 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Bought my 2010 in 2014 with 44k miles and got to over 210k. Burned oil but really needed nothing outside of routine maintenance until the apparent trifecta of the 2010 model...
    2018 - EGR
    2019 - hybrid battery (went with a 3rd party, Greentec, for $2600)
    2020 - head gasket

First and 2nd opinions say engine replacement for the head gasket issue.

Disappointed that I didn't reach 300k miles, but I have to move-on with quotes $4k and up for engine replacement.

Wish I had known about this forum earlier. I could have learned much more about the 2010s.

New Prius is not in the budget. Certified is a possibility, but used Hyundai Ioniqs are much cheaper (and new Ioniqs, almost in my budget, have a lifetime hybrid battery warranty). So I am probably heading to a versatile ICE (e.g., Honda Fit) to bridge the funding gap for 3-4 yrs (up to 120k miles).

I am still keeping my eyes open for the right used Prius, but we'll see. Paying cash but need to keep everything about $20k or less...and thinking far less is the way to go with this purchase. Hesitant right now to look at anything not certified but disappointed that is just a 12 mos/12k mile warranty with a Toyota outside of warranty, and most of the certified Prii I see are outside of it. Seems to me that Honda and Toyota went to 5 yrs, 60k comprehensive warranties 20+ yrs ago...and are now down to 3 yr, 36k, despite supposedly more reliable vehicles.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    check in with todd at tampa hybrids. great guy, very knowledgable. should have some good advice.

all the best!(y)

Prodigyplace and Montgomery like this.
  3. Mike J 34208

Mike J 34208 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Thanks...I actually have visited his site in the past and spent time there last night and today. 2015 PIP possibility there...

Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If warranty is a concern, you can always buy third party like car shield after purchase.

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. tonycd

tonycd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The problem with the Ioniq isn't the battery. It's the transmission.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  7. Mike J 34208

Mike J 34208 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I did see the 2016. So...does that avoid the issues that plagued my generation, are they still there, or is there a new batch of common concerns?

Thanks for the Ioniq info, tony. I was hoping their presence and generally rave reviews would drive Prius prices down. They do have a 100k mile powertrain warranty standard.

#7 Mike J 34208, May 25, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2020
  8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We know they relocated the egr circuit. It is likely too early to tell of that resolved the issues mitigated by an oil catch can. That model has a Li-Ion battery pack and no rear wiper. I believe none of the safety packages were available for that trim either. Starting in 2017 many safety features became standard equipment.

Like many Gen 4 trims it has no spare tire but if you remove the foam the wheel well is still there.

9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did they replace the valve guide seals when they replaced the head gasket?
    I take it you cannot do the work yourself?

10. Mike J 34208

Mike J 34208 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    It hasn't been replaced. They identified the head gasket as the problem, and it aligns with what I have found on the internet regarding the symptoms. I am no mechanic and not going to undertake an engine repair myself. The repair opinions I got said that the labor to replace the gasket was extensive and then there was no guarantee other damage would not be present. Both mechanics (one dealer, one not) recommended an engine replacement. Seems silly that such a cheap part like a gasket could cause such a ruckus. But it isn't just a matter of removing a few screws, opening a lid, and dropping a new one in.

11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So you have the leaking head gasket now. Okay.
    I'm on the other coast, but go to Sarasota almost every week. My tools are here.

The head gasket is a simple part, but important one.
    Replacing the head gasket is not a hard job, just time consuming. But a lot cheaper than
    a new or used engine. That is, if you do it yourself.
    And with a used one, you could still have the same problem, because you don't know what
    condition that engine is in. Usually the place you purchased the used engine from will
    warranty it for X amount of days, but they won't warranty the labor.

For a shop, it's easier and faster to replace the whole engine then replace the head gasket.
    A lot of placed don't have the skill to do it correctly.

There are other things to do with it, like cleaning the egr system, intake manifold, which again,
    is not hard, just time consuming. That's why the shop charge so much, the labor time.

I've been wanting to do one, so that if the time comes when I do mine, it will be easier and
    go faster for mine. Or help someone do it. But those that have done it are pretty far away.
    Depending on how bad the head gasket leak is, the head could possibly be warped.
    And you won't know that until you pull the head off, clean it up and put a straight edge on it.
    No sure on the labor to cut it down, depends on how bad and the shop.

How bad is the leak? Is the car drivable?

I will turn 203,000 miles on mine. Head gasket is likely fine as my coolant level doesn't change.
    Hybrid Battery seems to charge/discharge as it did when I bought it. Came with a 3 or 4 month old
    12v battery.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mike J 34208

Mike J 34208 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I had never noticed a coolant level issue before, either. Just drove to work one morning (long commute, mostly interstate), and when I started up to head for lunch hours later, it sounded and shook like it was going to fall apart. Didn't notice a CEL indication, but my code reader said P0301 - cyl 1 misfire.

Both shops I talked to said the engine would come from some place in CA...whatever was available and priced based on mileage and age.

It got me home that day, and I have driven short stints since to repair shops or the corner grocery and assuming the worst I could do is ruin the engine that would need to be replaced anyhow. Much of it running on the battery on backstreets. It has had some rough flare-ups, less power, exhaust smoke, and a renewed CEL indication. I didn't get the milky gas cap some get, at least not yet.

13. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The more you drive it, the more risk of causing more damage. Warping the head beyond repair.
    Seizing the piston in the cylinders... Right now, head gasket would probably fix you up.
    Sorry we are not closer to each other, I would help you replace the head gasket....

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  15. John A

John A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ive also been looking into this as my car also might have a leak. I found a few videos using Thermagasket. Apparently its a liquid you pour into your coolant system that will seal the cracked gasket(obviously theres more steps then just this). Haven't tried it myself but you should look into it. Bottle costs anywhere from 30-100$

16. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should never pour anything into the cooling system except coolant.
    It "may" seal the gasket, for a while, but it will also seal all the tiny ports in the system, radiator,
    heater core.....
    The ONLY way to fix it, is to replace it.

Prodigyplace and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. John A

John A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just saying, temporary fix for the vehicle. Better then paying 4+k for a replacement

AzusaPrius likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    At least one of the gasket "seal" products can apparently be flushed out with a 50/50 mix of water/white vinegar. That said, the sealants are a "trailer park" fix that gains you a few months, maybe gum up critical coolant passages. Worse, I think a lot of their product is used by unscrupulous sellers, to mask problems.

19. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In my opinion, gasket seals worked better with the old cars, prior to the 1980's. Much less tubes, connections and the like with newer cars that can accidently be plugged with the gasket seal. I always used it as a temporary fix till I could do the job right. Really messed up my thermostats!!

20. John A

John A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unfortunately i agree with you @Mendel Leisk, if only people would be honest and straight up. That being said i only need my vehicle to last 2 more years so i can grab that Cyber Truck:cool: Can you check out my thread on a stuck egr valve and give your opinion. I provided a video with the noise.

Mendel Leisk likes this.