1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010: Performance issues and CO

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by hmarie447, Feb 24, 2016.

1. hmarie447

hmarie447 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    August 2014: * REPLACE "PCV" VALVE. NOTE: PRICE DOES NOT APPLY TO 5.7 LITER V8 ENGINE., , , LUBE, OIL AND FILTER CHANGE - SYNTHETIC, - MISC MAINTENANCE, COMPLETE MULTI POINT VEHICLE INSPECTION, PERFORM SOFTWARE UPDATE FOR MG ECU AND POWER MANAGEMENT ECU.

April 2010: - MISC MAINTENANCE, A0B CHECK THE CURRENT ID OF THE ABS CONTROL ECU, REFLASH THE ABS CONTROL ECU.

Gas mileage average from the past 250 miles: 42mpg

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    42 MPG is not too bad for winter. What I like to do after the car is warmed up, get going 50 MPH on a highway and you should see some bars at 50 MPH or better. Gen3 I am less familiar with display.

For peace of mind, you might want to get a Kidde KN-COPP-B CO detector with a read-out. These are like $22 and can be used anywhere (inside car). Well I get a 0 reading holding up to the Prius exhaust if the car is warmed up. I think when the Prius is cold and started you can get a reading on the exhaust. Of course, that's the reading after the catalyst, if you had a exhuast leak before the catalyst it could be very high CO. It's not common though. I think I got mine at Walmart but that was a while back,

Rebound likes this.
  3. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the invoices in the car, but without checking I think it cost something ridiculous like $1300 for the original owner of my car at the dealer. I'm sure it can be done for way less, and I think you should try to see what you can do yourself. For example, the MAF is just about the easiest thing to access under the hood. It's on the airbox. Most people just take it out and spray/clean it with a $5 can of MAF cleaner from any auto parts store. Here is a link with a photo of the MAF and also an attached pdf of how to check the MAF from the repair manual:

Another Engine Light (P0401) question

From the description of the purge valve (also known as the vacuum switch or vacuum switching valve) in my dealer service report, the mechanics were able to see that it was sticking. So I'd try to figure out where it is and see if it might be sticking first. And then maybe try to unstick it with some spray/cleaner instead of replacing it. I came across a reference to it in the repair manual for intake manifold removal as supposedly needing to be removed before being able to remove the intake manifold. Maybe I'll try to figure that out what and where it is, since I just removed the intake manifold the other day.

Try those things first. It doesn't make sense to preemptively spend a lot of money on these things.

4. hmarie447

hmarie447 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay, so an update...
    - Driving for 20 minutes or less has yet to set up the CO detector. I haven't driven over the mountain to Charlottesville yet.
    - Cleaned out the EGR pipe. After that, I got a little performance back.
    - Just cleaned out the throttle body. When the car is on tho, there's a constant tone coming from around the engine and throttle body, along with a crinkly sound.
    - And now when I switch to and from outside air and cabin air, I can hear whatever it is moving. -_-

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget the A/C filter if like Gen2 it is behind glove compartment. That filter must be replaced and is common odor cause and sometimes mice get there. Also the engine air filter. These can be got pretty quick from Amazon.

6. hmarie447

hmarie447 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Already replaced the air filter, it was really gross when I was working on getting to the EGR pipe. Okay, I'll look into replacing the A/C filter as well. Any ideas on where the new noises are coming from?

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On one car noise was from the A/C air filter mice got in and the debris was getting into the fan area

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The hole in the air filter box is there to let water out. A "just in case" thing.

Once warmed up, the cat. converters should convert -ALL- CO to CO2. If they don't you should get a light and a code.
    The only time you can get CO poisoning with a modern car is if it is run in an enclosed space. Then the intake air is already short of oxygen and the system can't convert the CO to CO2. Unless, of course, there is a cat. system failure. But that should set a light on and a code.
    You might want to check the exhaust pipe. Someone may have messed with you and plugged it. Use a coathanger wire with a small hook on the end and insert it . If you find a blockage, rotate the wire to catch the hook on whatever may have been inserted so you can pull it out.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check your cabin air filter in the glove box. Make sure there aren't any leaves caught in there

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I'll be darned, Prius_Cub not too far from you found an exhaust leak in a Gen2. Upstream of catalysts too. This is type of thing muffler or service shop can see pretty quick if they put car on a lift

2008 Loud Engine Noise | PriusChat

11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Whenever you remove the cabin filter, always reach your hand into the filter opening and down. This is a basket which houses a squirrel cage fan. Feel around and remove any debris which may have fallen in -- bits of leaves, twigs, etc were in mine.

#31 Rebound, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  12. hmarie447

hmarie447 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh gosh!! D: I will try to find a muffler shop asap.
    I just got back from over the mountain and the CO detector never went off. Bad burning smell though, and still the lack of power.

13. hmarie447

hmarie447 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay, thank you!!

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tried a toyota dealer service shoppe?

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Burning smell is potentially serious. we've had a few 2010 Gen3 fire reports...we don't know why. You should consider not parking near house until you sort out this issue. Mostly the fires seem to happen when the car is sitting,

16. Maroon

Maroon Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's just the blend door in the HVAC system. I'd worry about your other problems first.

17. nicarens

nicarens New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lightning Racer. My girlfriend just bought a 2010 prius with problems "fixed" similar to what you've described with the sprak plugs and intake manifold cleaned of oil, as well as SSC J0V attended to and Vacuum assmbly S replaced. Have you continued to experience problems with this?

18. nicarens

nicarens New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Lightning Racer. My girlfriend just bought a 2010 prius with problems "fixed" similar to what you've described with the sprak plugs and intake manifold cleaned of oil, as well as SSC J0V attended to and Vacuum assmbly S replaced. Have you continued to experience problems with this?

19. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What problems are you having if any? My Prius ran well and got good gas mileage (50 mpg) until it got totaled out this past January in a caribou collision at around 185k miles. I had to clean out the entire EGR circuit (a lot of threads on this) at some point though to get past some misfires.