1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Blown Headgasket

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by electrontechnik, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    electrontechnik - How many times, and at what mileage, in 192,000 miles did you change the engine coolant?

2. electrontechnik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It was never changed when I owned it, but i have been checking it every 20k or so ( bought it at 80k) with a antifreeze check instrument. Still looking good...all the balls floating in the tool.

3. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Coolant deteriorates, becomes acidic and dissolves cylinder head gaskets. Not changing engine coolant before it goes bad is a major cause of blown head gaskets.

The balls floating in your tester measure freeze protection, not PH. PH is measured with test strips that turn color to indicate numerical acidity. New coolant is typically 8 to 9. 7 is neutral. Below 7 is acidic.

#23 Den49, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    CR94 likes this.
  4. electrontechnik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I checked my coolant with the multimeter voltage test and found the following result: The coolant is still good. The multimeter test is a substitute for the acid test strips. As coolant ages and exhaust gases turn the coolant acidic, the coolant system becomes a battery and electrolysis causes internal damage. Hence the need for coolant changes over time. So yes, /u/Den49 is correct, but at this time my coolant is still good.

Here is the coolant multimeter test procedure: Test procedure

And a video (not mine):

0.2 V to 0.5 V - good
    0.5 V to 0.7 V - due for a change
    0.7 V or over - change it now.

[​IMG]

And one more for good measure:
    [​IMG]

5. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    electrontechnik - Thanks for the video. Conductivity testing is a good test but not an absolute indication of coolant PH because coolant with a good PH can be conductive due to a bad ground connection that causes current to flow through the cooling system and register on the meter.

Also, the video states that the meter reading for good coolant should be under 0.05 V (not 0.5V). The meter readings you show in the above pictures are 0.17 and 0.14 which are much higher than 0.05, indicating very bad coolant.

6. electrontechnik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah his digits are off in the video, everywhere else is confirmed that the correct range is 0.X not 0.0X. In the comments for the video and the article link you can see this. I just linked his video because it was the first one I found.

Also, I should add, I conducted the test with the car in the off mode, not turned on at all, so there is no interaction with the car's 12v or hybrid systems.

Edit: looks like I'll have to go to a garden store for pH test strips, no auto supply around here has them :(

#26 electrontechnik, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  7. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's a relief. Hope everything goes well with the repair and your Prius is restored to good health. Good luck.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I hate it when someone tells you to do something, but not the reason for doing it. I learned a very specific reason in this thread, for timely changing the coolant.

Atari likes this.
  9. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i've heard about it and have huge reservations. there are too many variables. type of metal in the meter electrode and engine, internal meter resistance, etc.

if one wants to pursue coolant testing, there are commercial testing strips, not cheap last time i checked. it's easier just to change coolant every 100,000 miles IMHO.

10. electrontechnik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I understand the meter probes could change the results a small amount (probes high in plated copper vs. other metals), but how does internal multimeter resistance affect it?

In any case, I am working to get some PH test strips which will settle it once and for all.

Oh and... When to Replace Engine and Inverter Coolant? | PriusChat

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are so many unknowns, i don't even know what 'clean looking coolant' means? it seems prudent to change it at factory recommended intervals. or more often if you intend to keep the car for several thousands of miles.

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This means that if the coolant were poured into a glass and a few ice cubes added, you would not hesitate to drink it. (Of course, antifreeze is poisonous so this would be a very bad idea.)

With some vehicles, when the coolant is changed at the manufacturer-specified interval, the drained coolant contains debris and looks/smells nasty. This usually is not the case with the Prius.

In any event, I think the OP needs to change the coolant now, if it is the original fill - way past due.

13. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You want to change the coolant before it goes bad. Bad coolant allows corrosion which is what you want to prevent. Therefore, the coolant that comes out of the engine when it is changed should look just like the coolant you put in, if not you waited too long to change the coolant.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can it be bad, even if it looks good?

slamm3r_911 likes this.
  15. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And this is why I got my coolant changed at the dealer last week for $100. Honestly I'm super cheap, but is having to rebuild your engine worth it? I feel really good about spending that money, honestly. And I NEVER go to the dealer (diy oil changes all the way!). Just look at it as insurance

PriusGuy32 and Den49 like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How'd that go? They managed to avoid air pockets, did a decent job?

I do hope they drain the block as well; a few posters have mentioned they sometimes just drain the rad.

I did a civic coolant change recently: a blinking deluge came out of the block.

17. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They did a complete engine coolant flush. They did a great job, no air in the system, also quick service and friendly people. My dad asked me if they pushed other services on me, or tried to sell me stuff I didn't need, I said "nope! You can't sale any services to a car with 260,000 that is in perfect mechanical condition!" The worst thing about my car is my paint!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. electrontechnik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    #38 electrontechnik, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    Umar Ali, m.wynn, Den49 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What did the drained coolant look like? Per your post #30, did you use pH strips on the drained coolant?

20. electrontechnik

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The drained coolant was slightly redder but still pink, but I haven't drained the radiator yet, still a gallon or two in there. I've saved a sample for pH testing, since I got a liquid pH test kit (used for soil, but could be for anything else) and it tried it and it was inconclusive. Need to go to more garden centers...the big box stores are no match...I spent an hour looking for the strips and the closest I got was the pH liquid.

But it did occur to me after the fact that I could go to a aquarium store as well as a pool supply house.