1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Brake Creaking Noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Snow, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Snow

Snow Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just recently started making a creaking noise when applying the brakes. The video is taken when the car was in park and the brakes are being applied every time you hear the creaking noise. Having no luck searching around the forum. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

amos likes this.
  2. Snow

Snow Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got a couple of Toyota part numbers, for pin lube. Maybe @ChapmanF can comment, what's preferable:

For calipers:
    Rubber Grease
    Toyota p/n: 08887-01206

Toyota Disc Brake Caliper Grease p/n 08887-80609

(I see the latter available on Amazon.)

You want a sylicone lube, that's specificed for brake caliper pins, and one that's not going to swell rubber.

I'm using "Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant", and it's worked fine.

Here's another in my notes:

Honda Caliper Pin Grease: Honda Silicone grease p/n 08C30-B0234M

Is it front or rear brakes btw? Rear brakes are complicated by the parking brake mechanism; you have to be careful during assembly that the caliper piston face is oriented like an "X", so that the pin on back of inner pad falls between spokes in that X pattern. You also want to pressure up the brake pedal, get the brakes firmly seated thus, before applying parking brake. Failure to do this, the pin can ride up on a spoke, cause uneven brake pressure and drag.

4. Snow

Snow Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the tips! Do you think it might be worthwhile to just have a dealer or small mechanic shop take a look at it? My only worry is if the lubrication doesn't end up being the problem and I'm out the money in lubricant. $40 seems a bit steep, but maybe I'll go the route of Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant just to give that a shot.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They're both preferable, for different places. :)

The -01206 is the red, translucent "rubber grease" that's specified for the slide pins, the piston, and the rubber seals and boots on all of those. It isn't silicone, by the way, it's the "lithium soap based glycol grease' referred to in the Repair Manual for those areas. It doesn't swell Toyota's rubber formulations.

The -80609 is the gray stuff to apply in the spots shown on the diagrams with a style of arrow that's not the same as the "rubber grease" arrow. Those are metal-to-metal surfaces that don't involve rubber. That's the stuff a lot of people probably substitute anti-seize for.

-Chap

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've used the Sil-Glyde on a variety of caliper pins, on various Hondas and our Prius, including a couple of instances where the pins have rubber O-rings, no problems, saying drying out, or swelling the rubber. For a pin, I'll wipe it clean then apply a pea-sized coat, spread it evenly, then apply maybe a split-pea additional amount. When reinserting the pin I rotate it as it goes in, hopefully ensure the lube stays uniform on the lenth of the pin.

I also ensure the rubber boot is freed up on the caliper bracket, run a little lube under the flange with a screw driver, get the boot freely rotating, ensure it's seated properly, and put a thin coating over the whole boot.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  7. Snow

Snow Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just wanted to give an update on this situation. I went to go grease the pins for the calipers and the problem causing the noise was a stuck caliper pin. Got the caliper pin free after 30 minutes to trying to work the rust off of it. Bought a new pin and rubber boot, greased it up with Sil-Glyde and everything seems to be good now. Going to work on doing all the other three caliper's pins to prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

Thanks everyone for their help!

amos, Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Either way you need to relube the pins once every 3 years, it’s part of brake maintenance.

9. Snow

Snow Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Noted. Just something that never crossed my mind until I had this problem. I'll be sure to do this every 3 years from now on, but thanks for the reminder ;)

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Toyota schedule has two kinds of brake maintenance:

1. Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs, every 6 months or 5000 miles. This is just a cursory look-over as they're rotating the tires.

2. Inspect the following: Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs (3), every 36 months 30K miles. Footnote (3) says: Inspect thickness measurement and disc runout.

The inference with the above is there's two levels of brake inspection, the frequent visual inspection, and the periodic more serious inpspection. Where Toyota drops the ball though, is the lack of a clear/complete instruction, what the more serious inspection should include. There's no explicit mention of caliper pin relube, for example.

If you go the Repair Manual (and that's a journey unto itself), there's various actions described, basically everything you should do for an ind-depth inspection, but it's scattered, lumped in with even a complete caliber overhaul. It would be much better if they used a specific expression in the schedule, say "brake inspection", and then in the Repair Manual the had a section titled "brake inspection", with step-by-step, what should be done.

I'd agree btw, the tri-yearly or 30K inspection should include relube of the pins.

Attached Files: