1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Rear Speed Sensor Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by EfficiencyNerd, Jan 15, 2018.

1. EfficiencyNerd

EfficiencyNerd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm continuing a conversation here that I started in the wrong part of this forum - see here for my original comment (post #25) and the replies: Driving with a failed inverter coolant pump? | Page 2 | PriusChat

First of all, a big thanks to @Raytheeagle for pointing me in the right direction, and @m.wynn for meeting up with me to read the codes off my Prius. The codes he read for me were:

• P1578 - Brake Booster Vacuum Sensor Circuit, Low Vacuum (perhaps this is just consequential and/or related to the main issue?)
    • C2121, C2122, C2123, C2124 - TPMS sensor issues for each tire. I don't have sensors in my winter tires, so no surprise there (although I did perform a hack to get that light to stay off, as mentioned in post #54 at Idea to fool the tire pressure sensors | Page 3 | PriusChat - thanks @m.wynn for pointing me there)
    • C0215 - Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal Malfunction
    • C1239 - Foreign Object Attached On Tip Of Left Rear Sensor
    • U0073 - Control Module Communication Bus Off (assuming that's because the OBD scanner was plugged in?)

So, something was definitely up with the rear speed sensor. Over the past 2 weeks, all the warning lights on the dash (stability control, ABS, and e-brake) - and presumably, the error codes I was getting - have gone off and on periodically, until the past few days, when they have stayed off for about 5 days straight now. At one point I did take the tire off and poke my head around in there, but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary - no wires had any damage, everything seemed secure, etc.

My current best guess is, there's rust built up somewhere that's messing with the magnetic speed sensor. It could also be something to do with snow/ice/etc (I'm just outside Toronto). If it's rust, I'd expect the issue to come back eventually. Anyone else have ideas on that?

Also, my understanding is that the sensor mechanism is integrated into the bearing/hub. I've seen a few posts on here about removing it to replace the whole hub, but is it worth considering, or even possible, to disassemble the bearing and clean out any rust or road crap that's gotten built up in there?

For what it's worth, I'm fairly comfortable digging in and taking things apart. I've changed the spark plugs (lots of fun getting to them on the 3rd gens) and plan to clean out the EGR circuit this spring.

Thanks for any help/suggestions...

m.wynn likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Glad meeting @m.wynn worked out for you. You got to see VXDIAG in action:).

The speed sensor is integrated into the hub assembly. If the wires are in good shape, I’d look at the hub and replace it;).

The job will be a bit fiddly as the hub with rust will be welded to the support, but PB blaster is your friend:).

I’ve done the rear hub replacement and it’s not complicated. Just a bit fiddly;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

EfficiencyNerd and m.wynn like this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks like some of those codes have been randomly googled ... brake booster vacuum? (Prius has no vacuum brake booster.) I do recommend looking codes up in the Prius repair manual for the generation (and ideally the specific year) involved. P1578 in a Gen 3 Prius is, AFAICT, a witness code set in the cruise control logic, indicating it has been told of a problem by the brake/skid ECU (so, your guess that it's just secondary to the main issue was right on the mark).

What happens when you look the codes up in the manual is that you find there's a page number next to each one, and when you go to that page, you find a lot of information, starting with the actual "detecting condition" (what physical measurements has the ECU been programmed to set that code for, under what conditions), and anywhere from one to several pages of things you can systematically check to pin down what's causing the code. The little one-liner descriptions served up by google (or some scan tools) are good mostly for piquing your curiosity, little else.

-Chap

EfficiencyNerd and m.wynn like this.
  4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    all codes will didappear when you replace the 50 dollar wheel bearing

AzusaPrius, Raytheeagle and m.wynn like this.
  5. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    EfficiencyNerd and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. EfficiencyNerd

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks guys, looks like replacing the bearing is the only way to proceed. I was hoping I could take it apart and fiddle with the insides, but sounds like that's not really a possibility.

Thanks Mike, I've seen that thread before and it doesn't look too bad. I think I'd go for a Timken bearing, don't really want a cheapo option....

Chap, you are correct in assuming I did some quick Googling :). That makes a lot more sense now, I thought it a little weird that the Prius would have a vacuum brake booster since the ICE isn't running all the time. Thanks for the explanation of what I'd find in the repair manual, and that makes a lot of sense, as when the issues are present the cruise control is disabled and won't engage.

I'll update this thread once I take more action... but for now, with the dash warning lights staying off and the terribly cold weather, I'm afraid procrastination is going to get the best of me for the time being. As an old professor of mine used to say, "Hard work pays off, but procrastination pays off now."

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you check the plug is solidly connected on the left rear speed sensor?

It's round back of the bearing, visible through opening in the cross-beam. It's a BEAR to pull off or replace. Well until the flimsy latching mechanism breaks, then it's easy. When I took a look at ours, the left side connector was already broken, I assume during collision repair (we had rear cross-beam replaced after a collision). I pulled off the right side one after a lot of coaxing, a couple of times. Second time I heard something snap, now both sides pull off real easy. :)

FWIW, the left side one must have had locking mechanism broke for a few years now, but never came loose. Ditto for right side since my mishap.

#7 Mendel Leisk, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  8. EfficiencyNerd

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    @Mendel Leisk, I didn't specifically check that the plug was solidly connected, but I took a good look/feel around and nothing seemed loose or broken... I'll have to look at it again at some point. The warning lights came back on a couple days ago and have stayed on continuously so far. The next couple weeks are busy with travel for me, so I'm not sure when I'll get to looking at it again.

m.wynn, Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. EfficiencyNerd

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Finally got my replacement hub in yesterday, so today I went out to tackle the job. Funny thing is, the warning lights have been off for a couple days now with the old bearing. I guess it's more of a "slowly going bad" situation than completely broke. Since I did get the new hub in, I figured I'd replace it anyway.

I had zero issues at all getting the old bearing to come off - after removing the 4 bolts I gave it a good tug and it came right off (being careful not to pull on the sensor cable). I was expecting to need to use ChapmanF's threaded rod method or a mallet of some kind, so it was a nice surprise when it came off immediately. To get the sensor plug out, I intentionally broke the locking mechanism Mendel Keisk mentioned with needle-nose pliers.

The hardest part of the whole thing (for me) was loosening the brake caliper bolts and pulling the rotor out of the caliper - even with the battery disconnected, it was pretty well stuck in there.

But, all in all, the whole task was completed without any issues. Figure I saved myself at least a couple hundred bucks over having someone else do it - $170 USD for a Timken bearing shipped, plus an hour and a half of actual work. Not bad.

Mollyisadog and m.wynn like this.
  10. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Now you are an expert and can give advice. Hope it works out and keep us informed.

EfficiencyNerd likes this.