1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Transaxle Swap

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bhh338, Feb 19, 2021.

1. bhh338

bhh338 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey!

Well at the point of a transaxle swap:

What lead up to this:
    - Leaking Driver Side Transaxle seal
    - Drained the Transaxle Fluid and found water mixture inside (I've owned the prius for 2 years, never had issues)
    - Flush fluid out, add new fluid, Drove like normal.
    - 2 weeks later, hear a clunking kind of from the transaxle when put into drive
    - Go to flush the new fluid again to clean out the past fluid, to discovered it is mixed with water again.
    - Trying to find the source of water mixture, its NOT my radiator/antifreeze fluid from the engine or Inverter/transaxle (Someone mentioned I may have a cracked housing on the transaxle which is rare, but no where else the water would be coming from.
    - Picked up a trasnaxle for 100$

Now, to change out I need some help/guidance.

GEN 3
    Gen 3 transaxle failure/fix at 193,000 | PriusChat

GEN 2
    https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2018/08/151208_Prius_2nd_Gen_-_Transmission_Removal.pdf

I've followed instructions gotten to the point where I've removed axles, everything around the transaxle and ready to lower.

My question, for GEN 2 I saw they dropped the crossmember under the engine, DO I NEED TO DO THIS FOR GEN 3? Anybody that has done this swap please let me know. I don't want to drop it if I don't have to, but it is a tight fit to lower it out.

Please HELP! I've done plenty of civic engine swaps but just changing the transaxle of the prius is a little of a pint to drop under right now.

Thanks in advance for everybody's help!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ve no experience, but anyhoo: think I’d disconnect and pull the engine, then the transaxle, all through the top.

3. bhh338

bhh338 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bump it any help would do how to swap just the tran.