1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius a/c compressor not functioning

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by KevEng, Jul 19, 2017.

1. KevEng

KevEng New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    A/c compressor no longer functions after a long drive home (after working well over a hot weekend, it suddenly got humid on the last 5 minutes of the trip). Purchased used a few weeks ago in private sale, 64k miles. With car started, I invoke the A/C button. Condenser fan starts, then compressor wants to turn on, but only clicks sporadically before givIng up, and condenser fan quits as a result. The process begins again for 3 or 4 more cycles before it stops for that trip. The condition is repeatable every time car is turned on.

I've done the basics in electronic checks (checked all fuses/relays in the car and under hood, including the HV fuse just to be sure nothing was blown) hoping an issue there was causing it. There is no MIL tripped.

Checking the HVAC code, I get only B1476. Since all fan fuses/relays checked out I presume it is the compressor giving me the issue, but wanted to confirm before replacing. Could there be any other reason for the failure of the compressor (noting the plethora of sensors in the system)? (I.e. Low voltage to compressor? The reason I say this is the clicking seems similar to that of a starter solenoid clocking w a low battery. However I don't have any error codes, or performance issues with the vehicle)

Thank you in advance!

AR4CE1 and Starship16 like this.
  2. Jmcclusk

Jmcclusk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the same problem. Same story, same noises, same year, same woes. Took in it to dealership and they say its $2100 parts, 500 labor. Upon questioning, they offer no reason or anything that was done wrong or anything, just it broke and whole assembly needs replacement, common problem they say, third one this summer. This sucks!

Starship16 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    look for a salvage compressor, and someone to install it, even a dealer.

or call toyota customer service, and ask for goodwill help.

4. KevEng

KevEng New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, an expensive repair at a dealer. Turns out the compressor was in fact locked up. They wanted close to $4k. I purchased the car used, so I don't know the history of it. Of the oil was low, it could have overheated and seized... if the refrigerant was low, it won't carry the oil with it and can overheat the system and seize. The compressor also cools itself down with refrigerant so if that wasn't functioning correctly it can go just bc if that.

Instead of forking cash over to the dealer, I ordered a salvaged compressor ($125) from a local yard, and purchased the rest of the parts needed (condensor/drier, expansion valve, etc) from RockAuto online for less than $175. Had a local station evacuate my system (free) and then did the work myself. After 6hrs or so of labor (learning along the way) I was ready for vacuum the system and a refill. Saved a ton of $... I purchased my own set of lines/gauges and a vacuum (<$250). (Careful of cross-contaminating w other vehicles)

Don't simply replace the compressor and not the other parts. When emptying the oil from the system there always a lot of metal shavings (looked like glitter). Removing the desiccant, some of it (though not much) made it in there, so the entire condenser should be replaced. I held off on the expansion valve as that is located inside the dash system (at minimum 6hrs of work if you know what you are doing, I hear).

Now my a/c I fixed - I get cold air on my long work commutes.

5. Marc K. Esq.

Marc K. Esq. New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Good Afternoon: I have a 2011 Prius and the it only has 26,000 miles on it. The Compressor has been diagnosed as completely seized. This part had no exterior Damage and my Mechanic said definitely this has got to be a defective manufacturing issue of this A/C part. As I have seen now on the Web and Here, this seems to be a recurring problem and consistently has been ignored by the Dealers and Toyota. Seems that Toyota has installed defective parts in these Priuses and now is trying to take us for a Ride by Charging absurd prices to replace their Defective A/C Compressor. I am betting that based on the amount of Defective Compressors I have read about, this is and will constitute a Known Problem to Toyota. I bought this car new and have always meticulously maintained it as per all schedules. This Part is defective and Toyota should stand behind their Defective part and Replace and install it, at either no charge or a minimal charge based on the mileage of the vehicle. I have never had an A/C Compressor fail after 26000 miles (in fact never have had one at all fail).

I am a Litigation Attorney and based on the amount of Failed A/C Compressors I am now reading about, found in these Priuses, I am confident that their may be a Class Action Lawsuit brewing, if Toyota does not step up and do the right thing immediately. I would implore Toyota to do the right thing now, because I do not intend to wait, and neither should the rest of us. Reach out to me if you have had the same issue, as I am now in the process of completing a further review of these incidents for commencement of a Class Action Litigation action and/or immediate contact with Toyota for a resolution of these defective Compressors as a whole. Please contact me as soon as you can

6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    While your at it, throw the faulty egr circuit in the law suit also. I'll sign on the dotted line, let me get a pin.

Starship16 likes this.
  7. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This is terrible to hear. I wonder if the compressor has since been improved? I rely on my AC every day, even in Fall and Winter. It can be 85 degrees on Christmas day here. My AC is my life blood! I'm starting to wonder if the Toyota build quality and parts quality has gone downhill over the last several years.

8. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Starship16 likes this.
  9. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    And my 1995 Camry and 2005 Camry AC were flawless! What's up with the Prius?! :mad:

10. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What brand of compressor oil did you use? I know its synthetic though, was it a Toyota, or some other stuff?

11. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Not to throw cold water on this thread -- and we have two 11's with over 200k .. so I don't want mine to fail. But stuff does fail -- every car has various items that fail. It's a complicated thing .... an automobile. A seven year old item going is not a manufacturing defect .....

12. rlbenskin

rlbenskin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    [QUOTE="I am a Litigation Attorney and based on the amount of Failed A/C Compressors I am now reading about, found in these Priuses, I am confident that their may be a Class Action Lawsuit brewing, if Toyota does not step up and do the right thing immediately. I would implore Toyota to do the right thing now, because I do not intend to wait, and neither should the rest of us. Reach out to me if you have had the same issue, as I am now in the process of completing a further review of these incidents for commencement of a Class Action Litigation action and/or immediate contact with Toyota for a resolution of these defective Compressors as a whole. Please contact me as soon as you can[/QUOTE]

I know this thread is old, but I am wondering if you ever started a class action suit. My 2011 Prius AC compressor failed, and Toyota wants to charge me $2,000.

makbg1 likes this.
  13. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know this thread is old, but I am wondering if you ever started a class action suit. My 2011 Prius AC compressor failed, and Toyota wants to charge me $2,000.[/QUOTE]

8 year old car...

Toyota’s obligation ended after 3/36K.

Rachel Damron, makbg1 and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think the warranty on things like refrigerator and home AC compressors is like 5 or 7 years. I had my 2008 10 years and never had any work done the the AC, is this typical?

15. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’ve got almost 10 years and 198 k miles on our 2010 without work on the AC system:).

Maybe I’m lucky too:rolleyes:.

16. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My previous car, a Fiat, had no A/C during the second summer (had it since new). I've had my Prius for 5 summers now and it's 8 years old with 117k miles and no problem.
    So I guess it's not a Prius-specific problem.

17. DeezPrius

DeezPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had the dealer replace mine recently. Blowing cold air during winter driving sucks. Previous owner had it checked out but according to Toyota service history, it was never fixed. He then sold it and i purchased from the dealer. At the time, HVAC was working properly.

New member have HVAC question | PriusChat

18. Electromagnet83

Electromagnet83 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    8 year old car...

Toyota’s obligation ended after 3/36K.[/QUOTE]

Mine just went out, Toyota wants $3500.

19. Ramirezja

Ramirezja Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    is there a DIY video out there to do the job?

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Probably a lot, but if it isn't a business you're in, there's a steep lot of three-figure tools to buy and maybe never use again. For as often as it happens, might be easiest to have an auto A/C shop do it; they have all the stuff, it's a straightforward job for them.