1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 abs/traction conundrum

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sharnold, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I changed the engine in this 2012 prius with 315k miles due to a blown head gasket but even before figuring that out I tried resetting all the abs and traction codes you will see in pictures below. You will only drop C1392 after erasing DTCs. Techstream will say loss of communication to ECU even trying to airbleed or using most of the utility options. It will not allow me any options or let me reset yaw rate. I even tried jumping the pins and disconnecting the 12volt and yes it's new also so plenty of voltage. Personally I'm leaning on traction control ECU replacement and have a few parts cars with them. Any insight would be accepted ty in advance 20210424_131312.jpeg 20210424_131347.jpeg 20210424_131409.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If you’re using an inexpensive vehicle interface module (the kind sold online for $30 or so), it’s likely that the VIM or its software is defective or limited in its capabilities. See @ChapmanF's previous postings:

3. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that sucks I've always used my dongle for the last 4yrs and never needed an upgrade even on the Gen 4 until now. I guess I never ran into the brake/abs/traction issues that didn't like my J2534 dongle. I seen alot of versions of the Tactrix but which ones are reliable for me to add to my work laptop and be able to interface well?

#3 Sharnold, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Please do not buy any "version" of the Tactrix except the real one, or the same thing will happen to it that happened to the Mini VCI.

Mini VCI was originally a real product from a company called XHorse, but then the counterfeiters got to it and started selling their cheaper "versions" (even copying the labels and the software, so they all say XHorse) until the original company couldn't continue making the real product. Now the nice thing about Mini VCIs is they're all cheap; the downside is they're all counterfeits and there's no such thing as a real one anymore.

Tactrix is still a US company that exists and makes their own product and supports it. The price is still $169. If you want something cheaper, you might look into VXDiag's VCX Nano, which I think is about half that price. If you want something cheaper than that, please don't go buying counterfeits of the Tactrix; buy counterfeits of some other company that's already been killed.

OahuPrius likes this.
  5. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No sir I actually use mine daily and need it for interfacing so I'll be contacting and purchasing from the actual dealer. Imo you gotta spend money to make money

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There was also a version of Techstream that had issues with Prii. The temporary solution was to use an older version. Wish I noted which one(s)...

moto g(7) power ?