1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Plug In 12V battery; which model fits???

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by SuzyGS, Dec 16, 2021.

1. SuzyGS

SuzyGS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    I have an appointment with my local crook Toyota dealer at 9 a.m. to get a new 12v battery for my 2012 Prius plug in. My husband just told me he would rather buy one at an auto parts store and install it if needed. He tested the voltage and it was 12.3. is that bad? The car didn't start both times I needed it this week, although I finally got it to start after making sure everything, including radio and A/C, was turned off. In fairness, since COVID, I don't drive it very often. I probably average 3-5 x per month.

I couldn't figure out which battery it takes. Does anyone know? The auto parts stores don't even list the Plug In as a choice to find a battery. I could cancel my appt if I knew which battery to buy.

I realize the chances of anyone even seeing this late post are slim to none...

bisco likes this.
  2. Wooward

Wooward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would think it’s the same battery as a non plugin 3rd
    gen. Autozone lists these two for 2012 Plug-in Prius. The 12V battery is installed in the passenger compartment and has the potential to vent hydrogen gas. Because of this, 3rd gen Prius 12V batteries have a special side vent which attaches to a hose and directs hydrogen outside the car. Theoretically, any 12v battery that fits will work but is saving $100 worth the potential safety risk?

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery/p/duralast-platinum-agm-battery-46b24r-agm-group-size-46b24r-410-cca/766475_0_0

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery/p/optima-agm-yellow-top-battery-46b24r-group-size-46b24r-450-cca/315064_0_0

iPhone ?

3. Wooward

Wooward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As for 12.3V, it’s not good or bad but getting closer to bad than good. Resting voltage doesn’t tell the whole story though. If you remove the battery and bring it into an auto parts store, they’ll put it under load and tell you the health for free.

iPhone ?

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The auxiliary (12-volt) battery on Prius Plug-in cars (2012–2015) is the same AGM type and S46B24R size as on many other Prius cars; see Toyota’s battery application chart (PDF). At Toyota dealers in the U.S., the part number is 00544-21171-325, list price $241.44.

As @Wooward kindly mentioned, third-party equivalents are also readily available.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just the same as the non plug in. any 2010-2015 prius liftback, they are all the same. i would also go to a local store if you don't want to pay the dealer. the battery should be around $200. but labor is all over the place.
    there are you tube videos if you want to diy, it's fairly straight forward.

if you are not driving much, get a battery tender. even a brand new battery will discharge just sitting there, and that causes long term damage.
    is you battery original? i replaced mine in 2019

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi there SuzyGS, is your hubby like me in reminding the other driver to please turn off accessories before turning off the car? It's not as important to turn that stuff off when the car is newer (it's still a good habit to get into), but when I car is starting to get older, it can become more of an issue (leaving accessories on). Because, when a car is new, typically, there are less things wrong with the car and it behaves normally. As the car ages and little problem(s) can either or both - add up and / or get worse. So things are not as Normal,
    as when the car was new.

If the car wouldn't start, that can be a big problem. It can also be solved in two ways. A new battery or recharge the battery.

It is Normal for a car driven only 3-5 times a month (at 10 years old), to experience a low voltage reading like your 12.3 volts. And typically many believe that is a Normal life expectancy of a typical 12 volt car battery and it may very well be.

On the other hand a simple float charger like a $5 - $10, 12 volt charger at harbor freight (for example) can get the car battery to last many more days, months or even years. Especially and temperatures start to fall, (of course in a few years, prices of 12 car batteries can and have risen quite a lot, only very rarely do prices go down).

And since it's now after 9am this morning, hopefully the crooks haven't had at your purse too badly today!

#6 vvillovv, Dec 16, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  7. 001tom

001tom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One thing to keep in mind is that batteries sometimes go bad for a reason. If so that reason needs to be addressed. One problem i had is storing the key fob too close to the car. If it is too close, it forces the car to remain in a state of being ready to start. Not sure of the distance, but think it is about 75 feet. If that is the case storing any key fobs that close in a
    Faraday Bag for Keyfobs - RF Shielding Protective.
    Perhaps someone can give the distance and recommend a pouch.

8. shawn.ne

shawn.ne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm also in the market for a replacement 12v battery. Local chain auto parts stores are certainly cheapest. The AutoZone link shared above ties the NAPA price in my area ($199.99, plus tax and [refundable] core charge). For anyone not sure if it might be time to replace their 12v battery, you can find its age fairly easily (probably have to remove the hold-down bracket to read it). See: Yuasa battery date code. Prius jdm. 2013 | PriusChat

How much do I love these cars? I'm now on my fourth, with the last three being 1st Gen Plug-Ins. Was recently surprised to discover that the 12v in my current Plug-In was apparently manufactured just over six years ago! 041215W

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's the dealership quoting for the battery?

Might be a bit lower than this:

Definitely should not be more, for the battery itself. Food for thought: just pick up the dealership battery at the parts counter, and have hubby install? They do tend to nail you on labour.

10. southsidedakota

southsidedakota Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    my OEM 12v battery lasted 8 years, so I replaced it with another OEM 12v.

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    bisco likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that sounds like a lot of work!

14. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    not at all

15. Russel Weideman

Russel Weideman New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2012 with 135000 miles and I drive it everyday it still has the OEM battery. I intend on buying another one from Toyota. I never got that kind of service out of any aftermarket batteries. I have been driving 55 years.