1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Toyota RAV4 EV Driving Impression & Review !!!

Discussion in 'RAV4 EV' started by HAWAIIANBUILT, Apr 1, 2013.

1. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob,

You would probably be better served renting a nice Lexus for that job interview. Splurge a bit and take the interviewer out for lunch or maybe a couple of beers after work.

If the interviewer is a tech geek, then you might get more mileage out of the EV.

If your the interviewer, then I would be having the candidate drive in and check out his choice of transportation.

2. HAWAIIANBUILT

HAWAIIANBUILT Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello Cwerdna,

I will find an alternate location on PriusChat to post the original pictures for your reference.

I will also entitle it with "Bandwidth Warning" to help give a heads-up for all.

I will be doing this tomorrow, and will post the link here.

Hope this helps.

Rodney

WE0H, cwerdna and bwilson4web like this.
  3. HAWAIIANBUILT

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello Bob,

Please note that this is my First Time experiencing any EV. I am not an Expert.

Others may or may not have similar experiences.

To answer your questions as best I can from my experience only :

01. The seats in my opinion, were comfortable and supportive during normal driving operation. I personally did not get fatigued. As far as being 'nap friendly' I cannot give an accurate experience as I never 'napped' inside the vehicle.

02. The Charging locations I went to were in a Shopping Area and a Hotel Parking structure. Both locations near the Charging Station had stores that had Water and Restroom Facilities. Depending on the location you may or may not have these amenities readily available. Charging Stations are located in many different areas.

03. I am not sure I understand your question in regards to "drive and charge-car/charge-human." Maybe another person can help answer your question.

04. In regards to free WiFi. I don't believe free Wifi comes with the RAV4EV. Entune will work with Wifi or Non-Wifi Signals. And whichever signal connection you have established, you can check the Current Charging Status of the vehicle.

To the Techs : Please correct me if I am wrong. I can only share my personal experiences that I have had with the RAV4 EV for such a short time. This is my first time with any EV. I am in no means an expert on the EV, but wanted to share with you my story.

I have learned a great deal with the RAV4 EV and am excited to learn and understand more about this Great Technology.

Thank you,

Rodney

bwilson4web and John Hatchett like this.
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks! Just wanted to be able to point to people to your alternate location for more pics.

Take your time on that.

I test drove the Rav4 EV 2x at AltCar Expo last year. It had plenty of power or could easily squeal the tires in sport mode. Tony Williams at My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - Official Toyota RAV4 EV Thread made a comment about the torque steer and acceleration before he bought one. GOM = guess-o-meter (aka "distance to empty" which is notoriously inaccurate on the Leaf) but much better on the Rav4 EV.

HAWAIIANBUILT likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You could host it in your own Photos album on PC and link it (or a 3rd party photo hosting site).

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've taken it from TMS HQ to Newport Beach through to Angels Gate Park and back to Toyota HQ. Google says a total of 88.7 miles (add a few as I drove around Newport Beach). (I was too excited that I forgot to reset the trip odometer!)

My range when I got back to TMS HQ showed 32 miles. I started off in Extended mode so I was able to use more of the battery. This included a lot of freeway driving at 70mph and a few quick starts in Sport Mode. If the readout was true, then I had over 120 miles of range from this vehicle; pretty impressive for a 4,000lb SUV. IMG_1743.JPG

7. artyking

artyking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok...I could have said 80 or 100 miles maybe...hopefully even in the winter and inclement weather. Fact is I and a lot of us out here drive too much in a day to make this worthwhile short of multiple cars to change into like the old pony express. I ain't knocking it, like I said, great start but needs to get better for some us. I personally can't wait 6 hours to charge and get back home in time for bed ;)

8. HAWAIIANBUILT

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello Cwerdna and All ...

I have Reposted the Original Thread now indicated as *Bandwidth Heavy* for those Able to View with High Bandwidth capabilities in the RAV4 EV Discussion Area Here :

2013 Toyota RAV4 EV Driving Impression (Warning: Bandwidth HEAVY) | PriusChat

Please use this new link for your viewers on the other forums for Reference.

Thank you,

Rodney

cwerdna likes this.
  9. phvdriv3r

phvdriv3r Defender of the Glass - Lemon-ed a 2012 PHV

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Being that I got rid of my PiP - I am in the market for another car with good MPG or MPGe :p

I test drove both the Leaf and RAV4 extensively and have to say the acceleration of the RAV4 is nice, yet the slow charge time sucks. Mix that with the high starting price and NO Fast Charge, this was an instant no-sell for me. Leaf's insane lease rates are ultra-attractive and has me sold. When it's time, I'll be heading to pickup a Leaf at this point. :cool: It's either that, or Tesla... and Tesla is too costly to maintain.

3 year lease and then upgrade to the latest and greatest FTW.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm confused by the bolded statement. With L2 charging, provided the EVSE is capable of 40 amp output (e.g. Evr-Green™ 400 Electric Vehicle Charging Station > Evr-Green™ > Brands > Solutions from Leviton Web Site), the Rav4 EV can charger faster than any Leaf at L2. Rav4 EV has a 10 kW onboard charger vs the optional 6.6 kW OBC on the '13 Leaf.

But yes, the downside is there is no DC fast charge port (CHAdeMO or anything else) on the Rav4 EV whereas it's optional on the Leaf. You will NOT have a CHAdeMO charger at home. But yes, w/o the port, you won't be able to use public CHAdeMO chargers.

11. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've had my 2010 Prius III for 3+ years, and now have a 2012 Rav4 EV. Lifetime average for the Prius 53 mpg (actual calculated mileage). I'm paying half the price to 'fuel up' the Rav4 EV. If you pay at a public charger (rare in the Sacramento area since many public chargers are free at this point) you will pay a lot more than charging at home on an EV rate. In terms of fuel it's simple math, the EV is much cheaper to drive if you are charging at home. And as mentioned above, with current incentives it's under 30K to buy (29.3k in my case before taxes). Love my Prius. The Rav4 EV is a frickin joy to drive. For my 50 mile round trip commute and weekend chores it is perfect. For longer trips the Prius takes over.

austingreen, mrbigh and telmo744 like this.
  12. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Follow up report on my 2012 Rav4 EV. I drove 996 miles last month. The Toyota phone app Entunes tells me that I averaged 3.7 miles per kwh for the month of May, indicating that the car used approximately 270 kwh to drive 996 miles. As food for thought, let's say an average price per kwh is 13 cents, then it would cost me $35.00 to buy those 270 kwh. Further, with gas in my town at $3.90 a gallon, I could have bought 8.973 gallons with $35. Finally, if you divide 996 miles by the 8.973 gallons I could have bought with 35 bucks you get a comparative MPG of 111. These are rough estimates that depend crucially on how many kwh you put in the car battery, the price per kwh, and the current price of gasoline. The current software on the Rav4 EV doesn't measure how much juice you put in the battery pack. ChargePoint charge stations do provide you with a precise measure of how much juice they send to your car when you use one of their stations, but other charge stations, including the one where I work, don't provide it. If you always charged at home you could install a second meter and know exactly how much juice goes in and make an accurate calculation. But even if we assume system inefficiencies and reduce the average miles per kwh down to 2.5, you'd end up with an effective MPG of 75, which is the EPA rating for the car. Long story short, in addition to being a blast to drive, the Rav4 EV is cheaper to fuel up.

mnml, F8L and Tideland Prius like this.
  13. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's actually pretty impressive, and above average what the EPA rates the LEAF at (granted the LEAF is still more efficient). I thought for sure that RAV4 EV design would keep the miles per kWh numbers much lower.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the car!

14. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Right, I'm sure the same style driving in the Leaf would get you way above 4 miles per kwh, guessing closer to 5.