1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Inst. Panel Flashing Triangle & PCS, ABS illuminated

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Planenuts, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Planenuts

Planenuts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    2016, Prius 3 Touring, 44K .
    After driving the previous day, this morning the yellow ALERT triangle and PCS warning light are flashing and ABS warn light is on. Dynamic Cruise Control is inop. Car drives fine but ABS is not working-rear wheels lock up on hard braking. Turned off PCS but it still flashes showing "Off". Annoying.
    Tried using my $20 OBD II scanner and no codes found. But I think it only reads ICE codes. Pulled front wheels, removed and blew off ABS sensors and mounting holes. Rears appear to be inaccessible...molded wire plug goes into receptacle on a sealed cover. No apparent damage. Checked all fuses that had "ABS" in the application box of Toyota repair manual (not 'owners' manual).
    Is a scan at the dealer next? Or do well equipped independents have the necessary equip/software?
    Please make recommendations for affordable DIY scanner that works for Gen 4's.

Thanks,
    John

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you'd have to find a hybrid shop with tech stream. some say there are a few phone apps that will read 90%, but i'm not sure what is compatible with gen 4, might be some threads here.

3. axle2152

axle2152 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Some apps, some OBDII adapters may not talk to all the modules that are reporting codes... You would think though that with all that going on that there would be a SAE code set, at least giving one or two clues as to what is going on. Could be a number of things and without complete scan data it's really hard to tell and with it being so new you don't want to fire the parts cannon... Good chance it will be covered under warranty (if under 36,000 miles).

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Well-equipped owners have it, too.

You need a PC with Microsoft Windows that you can use near the car; the Toyota Techstream software, available with a Professional Diagnostic subscription to techinfo.toyota.com (from $65); and a compatible J2534 vehicle interface module, such as a Tactrix Openport 2.0 ($169) or MongoosePro MFC2 ($495). There are also third-party and counterfeit options, discussed in many other threads; some work better than others.

Older Prius cars can be made to output ABS trouble codes as flashes of an indicator light, but the fourth-generation Repair Manual (more info) mentions this feature only for the SRS/airbag system, not for ABS.

5. Planenuts

Planenuts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thanks to all contributors.
    Elektro... thanks for spelling out the components of DIY diagnostics. W7 laptops are cheap and coupled with Tactrix, the hardware is about $250. Considering what diagnostic time costs, less than 2 diagnoses and it's paid for :)

But... this time, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take my car to a shop. Need it for Thanksgiving travel and can't manage the logistics of assembling hardware, doing a diagnosis, locating/purchasing parts and doing the repair. But I will report back to this thread with the upshot of diagnosis. Saw another post that experienced a similar problem.

Thanks(giving) to all,
    John

Elektroingenieur likes this.