1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2016 Prius Pearl bites the dust.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by PianoBench, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Made me curious, so I checked this site. How to File an Accident Report with the Police | DMV.ORG
    As it says, reporting an accident to police depends on where you live (in the US), but I do think following points are very valid.

Even if the law does not require it, it is wise to file a police report even if the accident seems minor. Consider the following:
    • Injuries may not become apparent for a few days or weeks.
    • You may not notice all of the damage to your car immediately.
    • The other party may make false claims about the car accident later.
    • The other party may admit fault to you but change his mind as time passes.
    I also found out that in addition to reporting to police, many states require reporting an auto accident to DMV. I am not sure, if one report to police, then it gets reported to DMV automatically or not.

According to the same site, report of an auto accident to DMV is required if when someone is killed, injured, or property damage exceeds certain threshold amount which is $1000 or less for many states including state of California. With that small amount, even a minor fender bender would requires said reporting, I would think.

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes but there are two things that usually overlap. Requirement of reporting versus not reporting and ability to report or not report.

In most states there are "you are required to report if..." laws as well "you are not able to report if..." laws.

See my previous example. We wanted to file a police report, police refuse to come to accident scene and make a report. This is very common in the US.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand your experience at where you live. I just never experienced a situation police never showed up after calling in for an accident report. In case you missed it, the link I posted also states following:
    (I guess it really depends on where you live and how busy police are. ;))

Why Police Might Not Come to the Scene
    The police don’t always make it to the scene of a car accident. There are three common reasons why they might not come if you have an accident.
    • The accident did not cause injuries.
    • The total value of the property damage was too small. In some jurisdictions, a police officer may not be required to show up to the scene if the estimated damage is less than $500.
    • The conditions are too extreme. After an earthquake or in severe weather, such as blizzards or hurricanes, your accident may take lower priority than other accidents or traffic needs.
    What to Do if the Police Don’t Come
    If a police officer doesn’t come to the scene of the auto accident, you can actually go to the police department to file your report. You can often do so online or at the police station.

You can also file an accident report with the DMV. In some cases, you may actually be required to do so. Visit our page on filing accident reports with the DMV to learn more.

Remember, the more documentation you have, the more evidence you have to support your claim.​

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  4. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Glad your OK. Three comments:

1. Stay - Zedd w Allisia Cara. I love absolutely love this song. It’s on my Spotify top play list. I feature this in my spinning classes all the time. Bummer that was playing in your ride at the moment of crash.

2. Texting Enough said

3. Camera evidence is undisputed. This begs the question.. will cars is the future have built in cameras and processors that record everything and everywhere? Prius (to go before) is the logical choice.

Just sayin

ITBland, pilotgrrl, RCO and 2 others like this.
  5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For #3, Tesla is paving the way with video based black boxes. The future is now!

RCO, Mendel Leisk and tucatz like this.
  6. texasdiver

texasdiver Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just curious what exactly is your dash cam and rear cam setup and would you use the same system again? After seeing this I'm now motivated to install my own.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It'd be nice if Toyota offered front and rear cam accessory, and had the car pre-wired. @Prius Team ?

8. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't ever seen a car with them as a factory accessory?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tesla may have them. @hill can verify.

10. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe - I was thinking of affordable cars - not $120,000 prestige cars.

jerrymildred, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  11. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    The the UK you can have one as an option on Citroen's small car the C3 and its called "The ConnectedCAM" you can take snap shots with it and share on social media is you so desired.

pilotgrrl, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Interesting. Neither the Quick-Start Guide nor the Owners Manual (linked in QSG) show a step-by-step install procedure, or list any wiring harness. Also, especially in my case lol, I'm at least as interested in a rear-view camera.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it is a quick-start guide on how to use it. The price shown on toyota.ca includes installation. I'm sure if you paid for the TIS subscription (or the Canadian equivalent), you'll find the installation manual.

I'm curious if you can install that same one in the rear lol.

RCO, alanclarkeau and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah it'd be nice to see the install procedure before diving in, and get some answers regarding front/rear application, wiring for both. It doesn't seem like they've gone far with this. I'd like it if I could:

Buy a couple of cameras, snap off a couple of existing cover plates, clip on a couple of mounting brackets, attach the cameras and plug into an existing wiring harness.

Next gen, @Prius Team ?

I'd rather not be jury-rigging wiring, possibly compromising air bags or whatever.

alanclarkeau and Tideland Prius like this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if you stick with the wires that supply power to the interior lights, you should be ok. In the case of the front camera, you can wire tap the auto-dimming mirror so that it only comes on when the car is on. For the rear, tap into one of the power window power wires.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    TIS (techinfo.toyota.com) covers the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, and when I last looked, the camera installation instructions were not posted there. The site doesn’t seem to have much Canadian accessory information; for example, I couldn’t find anything about the block or hybrid battery heaters, either.

I’ve written before about the cameras offered by Toyota in Japan.

RCO, Tideland Prius and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. Jeppefinn

Jeppefinn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Premium
    Wow. Glad eveyone is ok.
    Not much need for debate who’s fault that was.

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Although Tesla now provides more cameras surrounding the car than before - owners don't have ancillary access - yet. Right now, they're just employed for auto pilot. The Tweeting crowd requested use for things like security / accident / fault access, & Musk says that this purpose is in the works. In the mean time, we use front & rear Blackvue cameras. The dash cam industry is sorely lacking in quality/resiliancy imo. But what do you expect? Writing & rewriting onto a chip, 24/7, onto a compact device that generates its own heat, into a car that can easily reach 140° in the summer, expecting to read a license plate high res - at night, that may be moving 30-40mph? You get what you pay for ..... $40 versus $400.

jerrymildred, RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That rear camera video is gonna give me nightmares.