1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 Prius Prime Rear Bumper damage - How to fix by myself?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lilystars21, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Lilystars21

Lilystars21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hello!

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to seamlessly remove these hairline gouges in the rear black bumper area of the Prius Prime? I also have some deep gouges in the Blue Magnetism paint as well. I don't need it to be perfect, but if I can save some money by doing it myself that would obviously be awesome blossom.

Any tips or advice? Thanks everyone!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pick up a bottle of touch up paint at a dealership. it comes with brush in cap

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to add, touch-up paint is only for the painted part. The black part of the bumper is not painted. There is no touch-up paint that will fix that part. You will have to paint the entire black part of the bumper with black or whatever color you wish.

In my experience, any attempt to hide the imperfection with touch-up paint always ended up making it look worse. Leave it to professional if you want it done right. Or just forget about the dings and gouges.

amos and BiomedO1 like this.
  4. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The King has spoken; and he is correct.:love: Even OEM touch-up paint from the dealer will actually make it look worse. You won't be able to get that "mirror" finish - so the touch-up painted area will look like a 'scab' and will draw your eyes to the imperfection.
    The black area may be lightly sanded down, NOT enough to loose the grain in the plastic. They make black matted paint for black plastic trim, again you will lose the shiny mirror finish. The proper way of fixing this is to refinish the entire bumper.

IMHO, I'd leave it alone. Take a sharp razor blade and trim-off the plastic strains sticking out; then seal it with some car wax. DO NOT wax the black trim, armor all or black-trim cleaner only. Now you've got an excuse to, not wash the car as often(y)

Salamander_King and amos like this.