1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 Prius Prime with $15,000 rodent damage!?!

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by storm petrol, Jan 6, 2023.

1. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

44 degrees, 42 minutes North; 73 degrees, 29 minu
    Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We also have a 2021 RAV4P XSE. Given the cautionary tale with the PP, I pulled the RAV cabin filter and found mouse damage there, as well. Replaced the filter and put a mouse repelling (I hope) sachet containing 3% ea. of peppermint oil, garlic oil and putrescent whole egg solids by Suavec back in with it.

Anyone else tried these?

bisco likes this.
  2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No, that's a brand-new OEM battery shipped from Japan. However, Amayama may charge you a ton for shipping.

storm petrol likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, but my experience has been NONE of the repellant works to deter mice. Not sure if you checked the thread I linked in my previous comment. I did not use the brand you used but they are all similar. Tried several brands, but all of the sacs I placed got "nibbled" by them. Also tried the spray type, ultrasonic device, and bright LED light. They did not work. Mouse trap does work to reduce the number. But if you have a lot living nearby, they will come back... eventually.

upload_2023-1-9_20-41-5.png

#43 Salamander_King, Jan 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    just mesh it:

Attached Files:

storm petrol likes this.
  5. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Get a cat for the garage

6. GregersonIT

GregersonIT Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    If the dealer tries to keep the old part on you, tell them the cost of keeping the part is your insurance deductible in a refund to you as they'll likely try to do the same thing as you will.

storm petrol likes this.
  7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I ordered new Toyota OEM parts from Amayama in the past because they were unavailable in the US.

There was also one occasion when I ordered a simple bolt from Toyota directly, but it shipped all the way from Japan in about two weeks.

Shipping from Japan for something that heavy could be very expensive.

Amayama also has warehouses in the Middle East. This battery is in Japan though.

storm petrol likes this.
  8. Albert Barbuto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  9. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dang, so we add "rodents" to the list of "How do you kill a Toyota!" (Rust/Accident/Rodents)...crying shame!

storm petrol likes this.
  10. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    storm petrol likes this.
  11. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

The dealer opened a TAS case, but they say it is just for their techs.

I called ahead and told my service rep (who has been very helpful) I was coming by to check the car to make sure there were no food substances in it, to set some mousetraps and do a couple other things with the car, which has been sitting on the lot. However, when I got there, the car had been moved inside and the Service Manager was standing by. She told me that I could not see or touch the car without wearing special gear to prevent possible electrocution, which I told her flatly, as the owner of the vehicle, was wrong! I could not make any progress with this at all!

Keep in mind that I have not ever seen the actual battery, only photos.

I requested her card, which was given, and asked her who I could call above her in the region. She stated my only point of contact with corporate was Toyota Motors.

Do you have any advice about how best to proceed under these very suspicious conditions? Who should I contact to complain about this treatment?

12. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The final, total bill for batt. replacement didn't drop much. $14,271 and no battery in sight in North America!

Additionally, I called ahead and told my service rep (who has been very helpful) I was coming by to check the car to make sure there were no food substances in it, to set some mousetraps and do a couple other things in the car, which has been sitting on the lot. However, when I got there, the car had been moved inside and the Service Manager was standing by. She told me that I could not see or touch the car without wearing special gear to prevent possible electrocution, which I told her flatly, as the owner of the vehicle, was wrong! I could not make any progress with this at all!

I requested her card, which was given, and asked her who I could call above her in the region. She stated my only point of contact with corporate was Toyota Motors.

Do you have any advice about how to proceed under these very suspicious conditions? Any ideas about who it would be best to contact to complain about this suspicious treatment? What might be the best way to go about it (Email, call, etc)?

I also asked about a core refund on the battery. She was evasive, basically saying that they had to have a designated replacement before they would know about that. Also asked who would own the used battery--same answer.

13. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I also asked the Service Manager about a core refund on the battery. She was evasive, basically saying that they had to have a designated replacement before they would know about that. Also asked who would own the used battery--same answer.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A core refund would only be due IF you paid a core charge. AFAIK a core charge is only applicable when an owner purchases a battery, takes it home and swaps the old for new. When he/she returns the old battery he/she’s refunded that charge.

15. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    (This response was inadvertently posted earlier as a free-standing one. It was originally intended as a response to yours)

The final, total bill for batt. replacement didn't drop much: $14,271 and no battery in sight in North America!

Additionally, I called ahead and told my service rep (who has been very helpful) I was coming by to check the car to make sure there were no food substances in it, to set some mousetraps and do a couple other things in the car, which has been sitting on the lot. However, when I got there, the car had been moved inside and the Service Manager was standing by. She told me that I could not see or touch the car without wearing special gear to prevent possible electrocution, which I told her flatly, as the owner of the vehicle, was wrong! I could not make any progress with this at all!

Do you have any advice about how to proceed under these very suspicious conditions? Any ideas about who it would be best to contact to complain about this suspicious treatment? What might be the best way to go about it (Email, call, etc)?

I also asked about a core refund on the battery. She was evasive, basically saying that they had to have a designated replacement before they would know about that. Also asked who would own the used battery--same answer.

16. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That’s correct. The point of involving TAS is to confirm the technicians’ diagnosis and repair strategy, and to see if Toyota can suggest a repair that might cost less or for which parts might be more readily available.
    It’s understandable that the dealer wouldn’t want you to touch or closely examine the car while it’s on their premises and disassembled. The Repair Manual (more info) mentions only insulated gloves, but in the U.S., Toyota dealers are provided with further personal protective equipment, such as an arc-flash helmet and insulated apron, as listed in the HEV Workstation Index (PDF). None of that is needed merely to approach the car, especially while no work is being done, but I can see how a dealer service department, without a real understanding of the hazards, might choose to err on the side of caution.

I think they should have allowed you to see your car from a reasonable distance, however, so you could assure yourself that they still have it and that it hasn’t been damaged in a collision or other mishap while in their care.
    Keep in mind that Toyota dealers are independent businesses. At dealers, the service manager typically reports to the general manager, who in turn reports to the dealer principal, that is, the owner or owner’s representative. You might be able to reach the G.M., but he or she is likely to defer to the service manager.

Instead of complaining about the dealer, I’d suggest working with your insurance adjuster to find some other way to do the repairs, especially if the dealer can’t even say when they might be able to get a replacement HV battery assembly. You may also be able to press for a total loss settlement, if the repair simply can’t be done within a reasonable time at any price.

If a prompt repair by the dealer is out of the question, you or the insurance company may wish pay the dealer for their labor so far and have the car towed, in its present condition or with a minimum of reassembly, to a storage yard, or perhaps to your home, if keeping it there wouldn’t be an inconvenience or violate local regulations on storage of inoperative vehicles.
    This is probably true. Until Toyota identifies a specific part number that the dealer can actually get, and what the dealer cost and core charge (if any) might be, the dealer simply won’t know.

Similarly, the fate of the old HV battery assembly may have to be agreed among the dealer, Toyota, and your insurer. If it’s valuable, the insurer may have the right to it, if they pay for the replacement. If it’s just an expensive and bulky item of hazardous waste, the question may instead be who pays for disposal. It’s not like the dealer could just put the old battery into a parts bag and leave it on the back seat for you.

17. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    They have a responsibility to fix your car for the price agreed. They're not responsible for taking you on a tour

Todd Bonzalez likes this.
  18. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Probably worth getting something in writing from the insurance company to say that they don't object to you keeping the old battery. Some repairers will tell you that any removed parts are the insurance company's property.

They obviously don't want people in their workshop for liability reasons.

Why would someone need to assure themselves that the repairer still has their car, or hasn't wrecked it? Trust issues or something? I don't understand.

#58 Todd Bonzalez, Jan 20, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    douglasjre likes this.
  19. GregersonIT

GregersonIT Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I knew it, if the dealer is playing evasive on it, they are looking to cash in on the battery replacement themselves. Check your state rules as I know in california its a right to get the old part back.

20. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    There wouldn’t usually be any such need, of course—but if it were my car at a dealer for a while, and I’d made arrangements to visit on a specific day, and the dealer moved the car out of sight and wouldn’t let me even see it, I might begin to wonder.