1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2017 vs 2018 prime advanced

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by gowhitesox99, Feb 10, 2020.

1. gowhitesox99

gowhitesox99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey All!

In the market for a hybrid, I think I have it narrowed to the volt or the prime advanced. The volt does go 50 miles on battery but Toyota's reliability is just amazing.....

I found similar cars online one is 17 one is an 18.

My work commute back and forth is like 10 miles so I could easily use no gas even if I stop for errands. I was going to try and get a side gig delivering groceries or whatever to maximize the free battery miles.

Anyhoo, would love your feedback on your 2017 or 2018, seems pretty similar.

TIA everyone, hope to join the EV revolution soon!

Signed.... Jeep Owner that gets terrible mileage and will give that to the kids anyways.....

update I cant link to the cars because I'm a rookie. Basically a 2017 prime premium and a 2018 prime advanced both with about 25k miles.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PC. I don't know anything about Volt, but Yap, 2018 PRIME is basically a carry over model of 2017 PRIME. Very minor differences. Only things I can remember are, 2018 has max mpg display 999.9 whereas 2017 model has max limit at 199.9. And earlier 2017 model had a cartridge element type oil filter whereas later 2017 and 2018 model has spin-on type oil filter.

If the price and miles are similar, 2018 has newer everything including the traction battery. If the price and miles are different, it would be your call to save some bucks on 2017 or go for newer 2018. For comparison of Premium vs Advanced trim difference, there are a lot of threads on that topic.

Check following threads.
    Differences between Premium and Advanced? | PriusChat
    Prime premium vs advanced | PriusChat
    Prime Premium versus Advanced | PriusChat
    2018 Advanced vs Premium vs Plus | PriusChat

#2 Salamander_King, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    What about the Honda Clarity?

I've owned all three platforms (2012 Volt, 2018 Prius and 2018 Clarity) and Claire is the most impressive driver of them all while the Volt is a tad more powerful in EV only and Prime is more economical on gas. Do you need a liftback?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on how you intend to use the vehicle. If you can get free or low cost charging (e.g. at home), then both works fine. If not, the Prime’s HV mpg and low gas price will be in your favour. If you intend to do delivery, a Volt might be better as it has a longer range, allowing for greater distances to be covered in EV mode.

The Prime has a larger cargo surface area but lower height. The Volt has greater height and a more squared off trunk area.

The Prime has the safety items as standard equipment which were optional on the Volt (things like forward collision warning & braking, full speed adaptive cruise control). BSM and RCTA are optional on the Prime (basically the Advanced Model has them).