1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 Advanced vs Premium vs Plus

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Michael King, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Michael King

Michael King Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So I'm looking into the Prius Prime. Currently have a 2013 Prius 3.

I had about 45 minutes, so I stopped in my local dealer, and proceeded to have one of the worst interactions with a salesman I've ever had.

I asked him what the difference between the 3 trim models are, and he replied "A Prius? We haven't sold one of those in a while". I'm like.... "OK, but what the difference between the Advanced and the Plus and the Premium trims"?

He responds that they aren't called that, they are called the 1, the 2, the 3, the 4, and the 5.
    I let him know he's confusing the "regular" prius, I"m asking about the Prius Prime.

Tried to explain that the Plus is just called the 1, and the also have a 1 plug-in model.

I stop him. I just ask if the car sitting 10 feet away is open. He says no, but he can open it. We head out to the car, looks around, and head back in.

The whole time he's mentioning features, but not which model has which feature... He even mentions that the Entune has Carplay. I call him on that, he tries to defend it.

So ANYWAY..... I found Tideland's post about the 2017's. Are the 2018's any different?

Based on the 2017's, the MAJOR differences are:
    • 11.6" vs 7" infotainment. (Advance and Premium have additional Entune stuff, and Advance has the Smartphone integration)
    • Auto headlights on Premium and Advance
    • Advance has foglights
    • Rain sensing wipers on Advanced
    • Manual Fabric Seats on Plus, Softex Power seats on Premium and Advance
    • Smart key on all doors Premium and Advance
    • Different Tonneau cover on Premium and Advance from the Plus
    Are there any Package options?? (Toyota's website leads me to NO)

I'm in the same area as @reddie so the difference in price is:
    Plus:22528
    Premium:24164
    Advance:28108

Based off all that, I think I'm looking at the Premium. Nothing on the Advance is really calling out to Me, not $4000 worth.

So is there any other feature I'm missing that might sway me to the Advanced?

I also have a follow up question.
    However, since i"m in New England. Can you add a remote starter to the Premium? Every car I've owned has had one, not sure if I want to pay $4000 and a subscription fee after 3 years to have the OEM built in one. Also, I don't think I'll have a L2 charger at my house (or work), just L1's.

bisco likes this.
  2. Michael King

Michael King Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on this site? everyone's does:cool:

4. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the big screen, and I NEED the blind spot indicator

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  5. KP7

KP7 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just bought this week and the biggest thing for me was the big screen. I hate its functionality so much that I went with the plus even though I wanted some of the additional features in the premium. Having physical knobs, levers, and buttons for things like heating and cooling makes it a lot easier for me to make adjustments without taking my eyes off the road.

Find a better dealer. If you are in Mass check the MOR-EV website to see the top selling Toyota dealers. Those who know the primes sell are going to let you spend the time checking out each trim, and should be a bit more knowledgeable about them.

6. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    No you don't. How long have you been driving without them? ;)

7. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL Trigger.. I currently have a blind spot monitor on my Altima (had one on my FFH which changed my life- and saved me from a few possible accidents- but never had an 11" screen... good point.. been doing just fine with the screen so far...

8. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I never purchased a top model until Prime because a car is just a tool to go from point A to B for me. I was skeptical about the value of BSM and RCTA, but am glad that I went for them because my body is not as flexible as it once was (increasingly harder to turn to side and back). Even HUD is more helpful than I imagined especially while using navigation. People often speak ill of Toyota navigation. It is easy to use when combined with the Toyota apps (Destination Search and Saved Destinations). Altimately, only YOU can tell what is right for you regardless of what we say.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  9. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Amen... buyer beware... at the end of the day... what do YOU want?

10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Softex and 11.6" display, either you love it or you hate it. I HATE both of them. I have middle of the pack line Premium, but if I can get rid of the display and swap with small one on Plus and regain knob and buttons for AC, and have cloth seats instead of Softex, I would be much happier. Oh, but I do want to keep the 3 door SKS, and power seat with lumbar support.

jmarkd7 likes this.
  11. Michael King

Michael King Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So I chose the Middle of the Road Premium. I decided the saftey suite, and a 3 year subscription to entune wasn't worth $4000 to me.

I wanted the power seat (I HATEed the seat in my 2013 Prius 3), as well as some of the other features on the mid grade.

I also decided I'm going to do a charger with the State rebate I should get. Trying to find my outside outlet, in the dark, in the rain, and reaching thru my bushes, made that decision very clear to me.

Salamander_King likes this.
  12. heiwa

heiwa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Congratulations! You will love the car. The efficiency of the car still surprise my wife and I after 2 years of ownership and 36K miles of driving. I wonder if it will surprise you too.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.