1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2018 Prime Plus dome light intermittent

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pbasch, Dec 29, 2021.

1. pbasch

pbasch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have the front dome light (maybe also called the map light) switch on "door", and it doesn't turn on. When I just lightly touch the switch, it does turn on. The On or Off settings work fine. My speculation is that the switch itself is dirty or somehow failing. The dealership didn't want to deal with it... besides, it seems like the kind of thing I ought to be able to fix. Any advice? Can I replace the entire unit? Or just the switch? I thought the best case would be I could pull it down, blow in some circuit cleaning spray and maybe that would work. As long as I'd pull it out, maybe I could put in LED bulbs?

Are there instructions or advice for this?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you changed the bulb? The OEM bulb is an incandescent bulb. It is possible that the filament is just about to burn out? It would be the easiest and cheapest fix to try first. If that does not fix, then yeah, by all means, try the switch. BTW, are you talking about the Front interior lights (called personal lights)? If so, is only one side of the lights affected? If only one side is acting up, then it is more likely to be the bulb; but if both sides are behaving the same, then the faulty part must be somewhere common to both circuits including the switch or something further upstream.

upload_2021-12-29_12-41-57.png

3. pbasch

pbasch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for the tip! I think it may be solved... My suspicion was that the switch was at fault, so I sprayed some CRC QD Electronic Cleaner around it. Did not take the map light apart, just squirted into the gaps around the switch and worked it around a few times. Seems to have worked! Time will tell. In any case, I ordered a kit from Precision LED to replace all the very halogen lights. Once I priced the tools and individual lamps, turns out their kit is a pretty good deal!

Salamander_King likes this.