1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2020 Prime XLE / burning rubber smell

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JJWax, Jan 18, 2020.

1. JJWax

JJWax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Seeing if anyone has experienced a strong burning rubber smell on 2020 Prime when utilizing its self charge mode (when you long press the HV/EV button, making the car use the gas engine to charge the electric battery for pure electric driving later)?

Brand new car, has only 350 miles on it. I took it to Culver City Toyota’s service department to have it checked out but they were quite dismissive, telling me it’s normal for a new car to have some burn-off like that. Maybe, but my spidey sense says something is off. It’s distinctly related to the self charge mode function - and I’ve bought new cars before that didn’t have burning rubber smells linger this long.

Any advice would be much appreciated. CC Toyota claim they checked it and saw nothing wrong but their dismissive attitude and the fact they were trying to convince me that you just can’t change the backup beeping (something I’ve now done on my own with OBD2 dongle) did not inspire confidence they know what they are doing.

Thank you!

2. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I noticed a burring rubber smell when i got my 2017 prime. I just dismissed it. Figured if something wasn't right, it would get caught in my 2 years of maintenance. If i saw smoke or it caught fire, I'd call the NHSB, a lawyer, then Toyota corporate in that order.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There is a new car burn-off that comes from the exhaust system initially. Engaging Charge-Mode so early, prior to completing break-in of the vehicle, would exacerbate that situation. You're best off just waiting to see if it continues, especially at times of high demand like forced charging.

pghyndman likes this.
  4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe park outside until you're sure.

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The only time I noticed burning rubber smell is when I light up the tires at a stop light:p.

But the times I've used charge mode, nothing I've noticed on our 2019 with 17k miles now;).

So probably new car break in stuff(y).

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. motch6

motch6 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I wonder if its not really a burning rubber smell, but rather a burning Oil smell. One in which you smell when the Oil pan is now running dry because the Oil has been pulled up into the Engine... Therefore the Oil is burning off the hot Oil pan.

Just a thought, since that is what i'm experiencing when my ICE kicks on right now (brand new 2020).

7. MarkL

MarkL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I've noticed some burning rubber type smells over the first 1000 miles of use on my 2020 prius prime while using the heater and the engine (I only really used the engine for heat for the first 1000 miles, as most my local driving was EV only). I didn't get it checked out and just figured it was just the engine breaking in during the winter. at 4000 miles, I still occasionally smell a slight burning rubber smell, particularly at very high speeds on the highway, but I'm not entirely sure that they aren't outside smells.

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :eek: I hope it's not running dry. That would be a shame, especially on a brand new car.

There's all sorts of stuff that needs to bake off some fumes on a new car. Especially in the exhaust system.

motch6 likes this.
  9. motch6

motch6 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

I should clarify... not really "running Dry" its like when you make a climb up a hill and the Oill pools in the back of the oil pan. The pan itself is hot and therefore some oil burns off.

I do now wonder if there is more to this burning off smell... Break in period....

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. Tahsin Shamma

Tahsin Shamma New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a new (under 1k miles) 2022 Prime Limited. I'm experiencing the same the same thing and came here glad to see similar reports. That tells me it's likely incidental and not a cause of concern.

11. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    During the first 2,000 km of our 2022 PP, we had a burning oil smell when working the ICE hard. I attributed it to oil on the exhaust system. Now that we have over 3,000 km and working the ICE-even harder now that it is winter, there is no smell.

iPhone ?

Tahsin Shamma likes this.
  12. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Welcome Tahsin; with your low mileage; it's more than likely the new rubber and plastic off-gassing/burn-off. If your still smelling it after 5k mile and you didn't just run over a skunk ;):eek: - I'd be concerned. You've got a 36 month bumper to bumper warranty and a 10 year 150K EV drive-train warranty - so if your cooking a bad wiring harness - it's covered.

13. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Well stated!

iPhone ?

14. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For you folks breaking in your vehicles, it's a common practice to change out the engine oil after around 1,000 miles to get rid of anything leftover from the manufacturing process. (I changed mine at 1,500)

15. eow

eow Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    I do not believe the ICE in my PP even ran for its first 1,500 miles. So an oil charge at 5,000 makes more sense for my situation.

iPhone ?