1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2020 Prius Prime Limited - Screen Rebooting Issue

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Davids2020PriusPrime, May 30, 2021.

1. Davids2020PriusPrime

Davids2020PriusPrime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Hello all, my 2020 Prius Prime will be 1 year old in July, and I've been having the screen reboot issue occur since about 1 month after i purchased it. Because of covid and not driving that much, I've not really given it much thought, but it is annoying. It usually will happen within the first 5 minutes of starting the car and driving.

Over the past year I'd estimate it's done it about 10-20% of the time I've driven the car, which hasn't been that often.

I tried swapping out the usb cord with another one, and I'm using an iphone 11 pro. This did not stop the issue from occuring. I'm not sure if its an iphone app issue, I use Apple Car Play, which has been buggy lately as well. The only app I use when it is occuring is possibly Waze. Not sure how to document this but I will need to pay closer attention.

I wanted to post this in case this is becoming a common issue/complaint among Prime users.
    Thanks.
    David

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    search here, there are a few threads

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have the phone connected to the car by bluetooth and also plug it into the USB data port, that will cause reboots from what I've read. I never plug mine into the data port so don't have first hand experience with that.

If that's not the case, then it's a warranty issue.

4. GSK

GSK Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    it has nothing to do with any phone, I don't know why that legend still persists. At least for me, it happened with my 2020 Limited no matter what phone was connected, either my Android or iPhone (my work phone). I tried every combination, as one phone connected by Bluetooth as both phone and audio player, then the other phone, then one phone connected as phone and the other as audio, then the reverse. The reboot continued in every case. I even tried completely deleting both phones from the car and having no phone, and it still happened.
    I had never connected either phone with a USB cable, it was always Bluetooth, so it doesn't seem that a USB connection is involved either.

Davids2020PriusPrime likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps because it has happened to other people? I don't know for sure because my screen has never done that. But just because one person's flat tire was cause by a puncture doesn't mean someone else's couldn't have been a bad Schrader valve. Most problems have multiple possible causes. At least for you, the screen reboots had nothing to do with any phone.

That's why I said that if it's not the phone connection then it's a warranty issue.

Davids2020PriusPrime likes this.
  6. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Strange. Mostly mine reboots when I don't have my phone directly connected. Usually in the first two to three minutes of driving. The dealer looked at it once and could not find anything. I have a service due in August, I will mention it again.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota and it’s customers seem to have come to an uncomfortable but inescapable equilibrium.

I’m just glad our 2010 CDN Touring doesn’t even HAVE a $!?*#%! screen.

8. Hicksite

Hicksite Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have had a 2020 Prime Limited for 18 months and have never had a screen reboot problem. (Now I’ve jinxed it!)

I have had occasional issues with Apple Car Play but most of the time it works fine.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My 2020 P Limited reboots once every two moths or so. Phone does NOT seem to be related.

10. P.Neophyte

P.Neophyte Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    2020 Prime XLE-- I have the exact same symptoms within the first two to three minutes of driving. Any resolution?

11. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hello Everyone,

21 XLE, has been rebooting occasionally, most recently yesterday on my way to California. 195 miles into the trip at 70 mph. Thinking about taking it to the dealership. Has anyone resolved this issue? Thank you.

12. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Dealership can not help.

13. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thank you.

14. galenagal

galenagal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Only in the past 4 months, my 2017 Prime (51K miles) twice suddenly had screen reboot with no USB or bluetooth connections, and once the screen froze while driving with iPhone 10 connected via USB and using navigation mode. Things have been good the past few weeks. Just thought I'd add my experiences.