1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2021 PP front bumper rock damage. Bought new. Need help with info on removal/reinstallation.

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by swamiji, Nov 2, 2021.

1. swamiji

swamiji Junior Member

IMG_0601.jpeg Read about the cheesy front bumpers on this model, but didn't listen and purchased anyway. Only 2000 miles on it when I notice the damage. No idea how/where it happened. Purchased a new assy for a little more than $250. Google search isn't bringing anything up for 'how to's'. You guys/gals have any ideas? Thanks in advance...

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #2 Salamander_King, Nov 2, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    swamiji and jerrymildred like this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just noticed this one. Good thing I saw what you wrote before I went looking. (y):D

Not bad, @swamiji. When I was shopping I found one for about $280, but everyone wanted about $400 for shipping. How bad did they ding you? I decided not to replace mine because I didn't want to spend that much and the crack is pretty inconspicuous.

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. swamiji

swamiji Junior Member

Hi Jerry. They wouldn't ship via UPS because they said it was 'too fragile'. YA THINK?!!!!! So they sent via truck shipping service for $80. Total was around $350. Sigh. I'm going to send the bill to Toyota and see what they say...or maybe not. :) Pretty ridiculous to place the most fragile part of the car front and center. Nothing else on the car is as fragile as that POS!

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah don’t know why we keep calling them “bumpers”.

6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota doesn't call them bumpers. That's just people who don't know that they are grills. (Just don't try to cook on them. :ROFLMAO:) If you look at their placement and function, I don't know why anyone would call them bumpers.

The part that most people call a "bumper" on modern cars is actually a bumper cover which improves aerodynamics and appearance by hiding the actual bumper. And the bumper itself has been repurposed and re-engineered to protect the occupants of the car rather than the car itself. That's a change that surely must have save my and my wife's lives a few years ago as we sat at a red light on a 55 mph highway and got clobbered by a texter who never touched his brakes.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I can see that: the front his car and rear of your stove in, softened the decel.

Still, what the heck are they thinking, putting fancy acrylic in harm's way. I recall a few full-fairing motorcycles having sacrificial pieces, at the points that would contact first if you dropped the bike.

Toyota could be a leader, put some low-cost, put easily swappable rub strips at the peripherals, something that could even look half-decent. It could be a selling-point.

As it is, any love-tap pops scores of fasteners, buckles/cracks/tears expensive fairings, and a single flung-up stone can put a bullet-hole in that smoked-acrylic jewelry. Ugh...

Check out the street prices for Prime headlights:

Headlamp for Toyota Prius PHV ZVW52, 4 generation 02.2017 - present - Toyota Car and Auto Spare Parts - Genuine Online Car Parts Catalogue - Amayama

^ Hmm, see you can get just the "lens", under $200 CDN for me.

addendum: appreciate I’m pontificating, not really helpful to OP. :unsure:

#7 Mendel Leisk, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    jerrymildred likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, actually, his was an old Jeep. It had some dents in the front. Our Prius did all the crumpling up to and including the traction battery and the roof.

Me too but too late for that, of course. But if you're needing a new grill, it might come in handy to know the right term when you search for it. And the OP isn' the only one who has read or will read this thread. And maybe someone will need that headlight info some day and Google will find it.

Ouch! Mine got broken by a bird, if you can believe that. Talk about flimsy. Thankfully, it's not super obvious, so it's still broken. Glad you can get it fixed.

#8 jerrymildred, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021