1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2022 Prius prime limited full throttle during lane change experienced.

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Michael A. Ellis, May 18, 2022.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You may be correct. I just don't remember how the 2017 DRCC popup window looked like. The Manual don't show color, but there are slight difference in the display.

Left is 2021 and right is 2017.

upload_2022-5-20_14-1-19.png

Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. Michael A. Ellis

Michael A. Ellis New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Once cruise was set at 78 and the second time cruise set at 80 as described above. Yesterday the cruise would not even set in the morning.
    I understand the cruise control system very well. I own a Porsche 911, Lexus LS460, Ford F-250, NX350H and an older Prius. After the failure to actually work yesterday I am convinced that the cruise control system is malfunctioning and within that logic or switch there is an issue. I will take it in to the dealership and give an update.

Correct.. this happened twice, once with cruise set at 78 and another time at 80. All I did was move the blinker and merged. From there the car went all out and when I hit 95 I touched the brake to cancel cruise. By the way with the radar there are three bars and I almost always select the single bar option which keeps the vehicle closer to the vehicle in front of me before slowing down. In my area people will merge in front of me typically causing my vehicle to slow even more.

That is incorrect.

#22 Michael A. Ellis, May 20, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2022
  3. alinica2001

alinica2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It sometimes happened to me also but I realized I was in B instead of D. CC will not engage if you are in B. Maybe that was also your case...

4. Michael A. Ellis

Michael A. Ellis New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes… I discovered that as well in B mode.

5. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The Prime has a speed governor at 101/102 MPH, if I remember correctly. If OP had not canceled cruise at 95 MPH I wonder what would have happened next - all the way to 101/102 MPH and stay there?

I recall Nissan cruise control would activate only within a certain speed range, i.e. 35-75 MPH. Cruise control that is operational at 95 MPH seems excessive & dangerous, I don’t know why anyone at Toyota would think that would be a good idea - nor would I feel safe letting it remain at at that speed without minimal input -considering that 95 MPH is anywhere from 20-30 MPH over any state’s highest speed limits, so I’d lean towards there being some sort of malfunction. I have to test if the cruise control system will even let you set it that high when I drive later, I use cruise maybe once a year if even and never tested it’s limits.

#25 Storm88000, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  6. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Cruise not working in B mode drove me nuts and I was convinced something was broken. When I first got the car I was experimenting with the radar cruise control (first vehicle with it) and I just couldn’t get it to work, because I was in B mode. Had no idea. And like I mentioned I rarely use cruise anyway.

Toyota should have simply programmed a message in the center top screen that would display when you are in B mode and attempt to initiate cruise - something along the lines like “To set cruise control venicle must be in Drive.” Similar to what it says when you shift into neutral while moving.