1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2022 Prius Prime Nav SD Card update out yet?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Swampthing, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Swampthing

Swampthing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Been thinking of getting an updated nav card for my 2017 Prius Prime Advanced, and recall they usually get released in the fall. Since we are in the final week of 2021, I wonder if anyone knows the updated SD card part number, and if it was released as normally scheduled. I suspect COVID may have delayed the release but wanted to ask before buying one.

When I posted this question early this year, the last card model number was 86271GN8PR20.

2. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I just got a 2022 Limited. Is the map data for the onboard GPS, stored on a SD card? If so, where in the car is this SD card slot?

3. Swampthing

Swampthing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    All the maps are on the SD card. It's under the dash... a bit hard to remove, but once you get the hang of it, it's a little easier.

4. Swampthing

Swampthing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Nobody upgrades their NAV cards anymore?

5. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I can't answer the question since I have teh Advanced package which has a different head unit. The microsd card is hidden under the lower right side of the HU.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not for the price Toyota is asking for it. For $210, you can buy a much more functional standalone Garmin Nav that comes with a lifetime map update. Better yet, many people are using phone-based Nav in the car nowadays. I for one, have never used onboard Nav on my 2021 PP Ltd. I have my trusted 7 years old Garmin on my dash with the updated map. (i.e. I don't have cellular data, thus I don't use my phone.)

upload_2022-1-6_7-34-24.png

t_newt, dtsexpert and pghyndman like this.
  7. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I much prefer the Waze App, as maps are current and driving conditions spontaneously updated with rerouting as necessary.

8. Darien Day

Darien Day Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'll pay to update the maps every couple of years or so. What's $200 bucks every few years anyway.

It can be useful to have onboard maps in places where cell signal sucks.

TGrracie likes this.
  9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just remember that Toyota's map update comes only once every two years or so, and when it comes out, it is already at least 1-year-old map data.

I don't know for Toyota, but many manufacturers do not provide map updates beyond their production cycle. Our Nissan map data is still original 2014 data, but the ~$200 most up-to-date map data available for purchase from Nissan goes only to 2017, nothing newer is available. Needless to say, I never bought the map update. Just use the on-dash Garmin as needed.

Darien Day and pghyndman like this.
  10. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The wife and I both drive Toyotas and both of us the nav system. I prefer Google Maps, but I've been using the Toyota nav system for 20 years or so and know the ins and outs of it. It's especially nice to use on the large screen of the Advanced model. More than anything, we use the nav system to keep track of how far it is to the next Starbucks or other POI that we are interested in.

I updated the map in my Prime simply because I had no idea how far out of date it was when I bought the car. The new map data also comes with any software updates for the nav system.

The updates to the maps on my wife's 2010 Camry were mostly a good idea but she likes up to date maps. One year the update introduced a few bugs to the nav system display and it took two years for them to fix it. It was nothing major, just some missing graphic in the "turn here" popup.

#10 dbstoo, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    Darien Day likes this.
  11. dtsexpert

dtsexpert Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    With Google MapYou can download the map offline so you can use it without the cell signal.

Darien Day likes this.
  12. popgadget

popgadget Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  13. puspa

puspa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Three
    Waze stands out for its real-time updates and dynamic rerouting, offering current maps and immediate adjustments to driving conditions. It's a go-to choice for accurate and adaptive navigation.