1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2nd hand > Warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by fmerkel, Jun 30, 2018.

1. fmerkel

fmerkel Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Recently bought a 2015 Prius 4 with 45k miles. Great shape, well taken care of, all maintenance done with records.
    I had a sudden, possibly serious problem that I'm still trying to figure out.
    Seems members seem to think I should take it to Toyota, that it might be warranty work as it's a problem with the hybrid system. Is the warranty still valid for 2nd owner?

Here's the whole thread:
    [Sudden loss of the Hybrid System while driving]

Here's basically what went on. Note that the problem happened > went away > came back in a lesser intensity > and currently has gone away again. Very frustrating. At the moment the DTC shows NO CODES!

Driving home from a hike. Car abruptly does a small shake, dash lights up with:

Check engine light
    Master Warning light
    Slip indicator light
    Brake system warning light
    and of course: [Check Hybrid System......] warning in huge letters.

Car did continue to run. Pulled over ASAP off the freeway in about 1 mile. Shut off engine. Died with a stutter and some extended 'clanking'. Not normal.
    Oil was OK, fresh change less than a 1000 miles ago.

Tried to start > it did, ICE only with same warning lights. Drove home cautiously. Shuddered a tad on initial acceleration, had.....lousy....power, but when going along at residential speeds seemed almost normal except for the warnings and lack of power.

Have a Techstream program. Had not used it. Could not get it to connect. Sigh.
    Tried an OBDII and an Android app called [Car Scanner]
    Got a [UO29A] code. That's the only code, at least with this app.

Googling that gets me some further confusing results.
    -bad connection with the skid control unit
    -lost communication with the hybrid battery pack
    -lost communication with the hybrid battery pack sensor

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, the warranty is transferable.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is such an odd event at 45k, i have to wonder if you or the p/o had rodent problems, or something wasn't disclosed in the cars history. warranty only covers factory defects.

4. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Does this recall fit your symptoms:

5. fmerkel

fmerkel Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The car has been garaged with the former owner. It was pristine, and the guy seemed pretty straightforward and honest. I don't think he was covering up anything. He noted every defect it had, including some so small I would not likely have found them with a concerted effort.
    He had all shop and personal records. I just went through the lot and I didn't see anything about a control software update. I sent him an email for clarification.

GOOD NEWS ABOUT THE WARRANTY! Think this may be needed.

The RECALL - Checked that out. Seemed to happen in Feb. 2014. This is a 2015 model. Assume they would have fixed the issue by then.

I was not accelerating hard. I was just coasting along at freeway speeds, probably even slowing down a little as congestion was getting worse. As stated in the troubleshooting link I posted [Sudden loss of the hybrid system] plus 4 dash alerts.
    The first time > no hybrid system at all. Serious power loss, ICE only.
    The 2nd time > hybrid system still functioning, car acting normally except for warnings. Dash alerts reduced to 2.

One weirdness is the single DTC code, even with the dash all lit up.I'd think there would be several.
    The double weirdness is the problem going away....completely, then coming back in a different manifestation.

Seems, I'll need to drive it until it acts up again before I take it in. Right now it acts normally and I don't have any DTC codes at all. Driving it makes me anxious though. :confused: I renewed my AAA with the [Plus] level. :)

#5 fmerkel, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018