1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3rd gen inverter pump replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jiwanowski, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Justin Henderson

Justin Henderson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Last night after about 3 hours of driving, we had check engine light and hybrid warning light come on. Luckily we were just 2-3 minutes from home. I checked the code and got prius p0c73. I also noticed the car was leaking a substantial amount of water or coolant from below. I still have some left in the inverter reservoir and the main coolant reservoir is low. Does this seem consistent with inverter pump failure? I'd like to do the work myself but am concerned that it could be something more serious that requires more knowledge?

Thanks for any advice you have!

2. Michael Kent Handy

Michael Kent Handy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Anyone know how to check for air in the inverter for a 2011 Prius without going to the trouble that buddybud43 went to? My Prius2011 does not seem to pump fluid with a cold engine off and the ready mode on with two pushes of the on button with no brake peddle pressed. One comment mentions that the engine(and I guess the inverter should be warm) for the pump visual test. I don't have my inverter charging up my old hybrid battery for about the first 5 minutes of driving, so I'm wanting to make sure my inverter health is ok....even though it's likely time to replace the coolant, and I'm not getting codes except p0A80 and the usual cylinder misfires. I have both a nexas plug in to cancel the p0A80 and an obd 2 that is made for Toyota. I've not seen codes for inverter pump or inverter failure. When I checked for inverter fluid flow my engine and inverter were cold. So, unless it's just that the test should be after warming or some air in my system....then does anyone know how to bleed the air out....I read that happens naturally after draining and the level drops when the pump takes the fluid and you just have to put more fluid in to the fill line