1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

3rd PCV Hose Blow out. *Check Hybrid System*

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by OneLazyCoyote, Jul 30, 2017.

1. OneLazyCoyote

OneLazyCoyote New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone, I just joined the forums and am urgently seeking advice from those of you whom are more knowledgeable then myself. I'm having a recurring issue with my 2010 Prius @240k miles... For the past two months I've had the P.C.V. hose blowout on me three times. Each time this occurs immediately at start up, I hear a pop followed by a hiss as white smoke billows out from under my hood, and twice now from out of my interior heating/cooling vents. The check engine light comes on as well as a "Check Hybrid System" message.

The first time the shop told me the valve was dirty and that was likely what caused the pressure to build up and the hose blew, they cleaned the valve and replaced the hose.

The second time they said pressure build up blew the hose free of the clamp and that they would put a larger clamp on it so it would stay, I asked them to replace the P.C.V. while they where at it beings this occurred not even 350 miles after the first incident and it is only a $6 to $9 part.

And today for the third time it has happened again, roughly 300 miles since it was last seen for this very issue.

I'm starting to lose faith in this current repair shops ability to resolve my problem, My usual mechanic wont touch a hybrid after he was shocked working on one in the past "They scare me to death" he said. I don't dare try the incompetent Toyota dealership from were I Purchased the vehicle. When I had an Engine miss firing problem they said it was the wiring harness and charged me $2400+ then a week later when it reoccurred said they didn't know what the problem was and said "Its frustrating and sucks, but your on your own." no refund for the harness which was never the problem by the way, damn sheisty Toyota Auto Nation of Spokane. The current place discovered it was a simple vacuum leak and just charged me for two hours of labor, nothing for parts, miss fire solved. but I'm not sure if they are able to figure out whats going on as this keeps happening, and I cant keep taking it in as this thing is nickle and diming me to death... I was on the way to the firing range this time and just about opened my trunk to retrieve my firearm when this happened and put my car out of its misery once and for all. Any thoughts on what I should ask them todo, or what it might be to help them resolve this issue would be very much appreciated.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

These problems can be frustrating:(. But don't put your Prius out to pasture yet.

Some questions:
    • Is the car burning any oil?
    • Has the coolant level dropped in the engine coolant?
    • When the car has lost the PCV hose, have any lights on the dash been displayed?
    I'm sure the answers to these questions will allow some of us to help;).

Keep us posted (y).

3. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would check the EGR system since its affecting only the PCV valve. Remove your EGR and EGR cooler with the EGR pipe and see if its clogged up or anything, clean it all up while you're at it. Also, check your intake manifold if its dirty too. Do a complete maintenance on your Prius. Do a tune up if you haven't done so. :)

White smoke from tail pipe could be coolant burning as well... just answer @Raytheeagle questions.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. OneLazyCoyote

OneLazyCoyote New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. No oil leaks in driveway still pristine, nothing visible exiting tailpipe as of late... although this winter before the engine miss firing debacle there was a visible white exhaust, dealership told me it was only condensation, but now I'm wondering about that explanation. I've been topping off my oil between oil changes probably between 3/4 a quart to 1 and 1/4 quarts every 1400 to 1600 miles.

2. Been checking all engine fluids since this all started, coolant level still reads full on reservoir... now that I think of it with all the high 90's and triple digit weather we've been getting I don't think its level has changed at all. Would this be abnormal? this vehicles the most recent model vehicle I've owned, all my past cars I would have probably gone through 2 or 3 Quarts by now. I just assumed this was more efficiently designed then my previous clunkers.

3. Only lights to come on are the Check engine light, and the Hybrid System Monitor display says " Check Hybrid System "

5. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Get the check engine light code and see what it say before proceeding with anything else.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    +1 on getting the codes read. The car is telling you what is wrong.

In this case, the check engine light can be read by a cheap code reader.

From the description though, it sounds like a back pressure on the downstream side of the valve. Worth investigating what might be causing excessive pressure in the air side of the engine.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Could be clogging at the PCV inlet in the intake manifold? Remove intake manifold and clean? Or for starters run a pipe cleaner through it.

I'd second EGR clogging too, but not sure why that'd cause PCV hose to blow off, unless EGR's causing general clogging of the intake manifold? By your mileage EGR for sure should be checked, it's very likely to be clogged.

On the engine side of the PCV valve there's a plate on the engine wall that can be taken off, you might remove that too and see how it looks in behind. It has a baffle, acts sort of like a catch can I think.

Threej and mjoo like this.
  8. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With it blowing out the PCV hose there's no way that there's a restriction in the PCV. The IM is a source of vacuum. Your biggest issue is a plugged Intake manifold.

Pixel XL ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. OneLazyCoyote

OneLazyCoyote New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got the code its P3190 Poor Engine Power

10. cptsnoopy

cptsnoopy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Kinda surprised to see this thread go silent... I just found the same issue with my brothers GenIII at 190K miles.
    His daughter was driving it on the highway and it threw the check hybrid message along with a lot of other lights.
    Unfortunately I am a newbie at working on these things and even though I spent 3 days researching the possible problems here on this forum, I missed this thread. So, after doing the obvious, (new 12v battery and new plugs) I tried a little ether in the intake and when it ran I mistakenly figured the fuel pump was kaput. $450 later and no fix, I started pulling the airbox system out and noticed the PCV hose had come off the intake nipple. That was the problem and the car runs fine again. I did get as far as removing the EGR valve to intake pipe and noted it was about 20% plugged so I am assuming that there is a fair amount of slug in the whole EGR system. How that would cause intake pressure I am not sure but my opinion is that there had to have been a backfire with the throttle plate closed to create that kind of pressure. I put a worm screw hose clamp on the hose for now but after reading this thread I can see that this will happen again with the hose coming off the PCV valve end. Either way, I will start a new thread that will hopefully come up with a search for code 3190 to tell folks that they need to check for the blown off PCV hose first before any other action that might cost money for no reason.

Charlie
    :)

anonymous, amos, mjoo and 1 other person like this.
  11. meron

meron New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, I just have the same issue on my prius 2013 that have 100000 mile. the hose was disconnected from the intake manfold. After putting it back, It came off again after 3 weeks. So, just wondering if you get any solution on your brother car. Is seems we both have same problem. Thank you

anonymous and amos like this.
  12. bhpbop

bhpbop New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Realize this is a very... very old thread but it is what came up when I searched for Prius 2013 Vacuum hose issues. Had some issues with my 2013 sputtering at low speeds recently and found the computer reported code P3191. I actually had quite a few additional issues but the main problem was the hose was disconnected. Apparently this is related to a tech service bulletin T-SB-0041-15. Noticed a few posts related to this. Found a copy of the report (attached) and it reads:

Some 2010 – 2013 model year Prius and 2012 – 2013 model year Prius V vehicles may exhibit a MIL “ON” condition with Diagnostic Trouble Code(s) (DTCs) P0A0F (Engine Failed to Start), caused by Purge VSV/PCV line separation from the throttle body housing. One or more of the following DTCs may also set:
    • P3190 (Poor Engine Power)
    • P3191 (Engine Does NOT Start)
    • P0171 (System Too Lean [Bank One])

Replace the Purge VSV (Vacuum Switching Valve Assembly) and reprogram the Engine Control Module/ECM (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM) with the latest calibration to address this condition.​

Attached Files:

kc410 and John Albertson like this.