1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Is this how this thread was created? ;)

They're already talking about the 5th gen anyway...Supposed huge breakthrough in battery density using something like Lithium air. I'll be happy to drive the 4th gen for 5-6 years though if it fits the bill :p (and features)

2. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Let me know which one of these generations is supposed to fly and houses a Mr Fusion in the back.

3. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    We turned the page before anyone commented about the Lexus Crossover Concept.

I'd be interested in hearing your comments. This is a Lexus site, not a Motor Trend depiction:

The LF-NX Advanced Crossover Concept | Lexus

4. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

The quote " the LF-NX concept is powered by a new variant of the Lexus Hybrid Drive system tuned for SUV performance" leads me to believe that it's not necessarily a gen IV hybrid engine. Finely tuned to SUV could just be Gen III more fine-tuned to handle SUVs :p Not sure though I like the concept. Toyota I think has been underwhelming at the shows lately (Was it the Supra that was shown? I didn't care for the 'glitch' or the car really :p)

Felt likes this.
  5. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That is the nature of the automotive enthusiast. Let me point out that the industry would not survive if the consumer purchased a vehicle and drove it for 20 years. Clearly, a modern vehicle will remain serviceable for well beyond 100,000 miles and many are driven for 200,000 or more. (I'm guessing), The automobile industry (manufacturing, shipping, retail sales, fleet sales, maintenance, repair, after-market sales, tires, gasoline, oil, and etc) is second only to health care in the nations economy. If owners did not anticipate, plan, and look forward to the next generation, not only would the auto industry collapse, I suspect the world economy would as well.

BTW .... There is already a "2018 Wish List" thread on PC...... and has been for quite a while.

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My 04 is my newest car by far. The others are 4 years and 16 years older. And all were bought new.

7. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I see an intersection of interest between the tech world and automotive world. Remember how iPhones and Samsungs (though they still do in some respect) create buzz and excitement with people lining up to buy?

I starting to feel the same way about cars which may pour more money into R&D and hopefully more into Software upgrades to improve driving (or new skin on the computer screens). The automotive industry could really benefit to be overlapped with the tech industry which it already has started.

Anyone see that new infotainment system that was leaked and for Toyotas? Very iphone-isk.

I would like to know how I'm driving, how many mpgs, better voice commands, larger screen, how my batteries are, how my breaks are...would like that info connected to a private app/account online that could autoshare mpgs if I want, make appointments at the dealership on a whim, see what they've upgraded, etc...etc... :p

8. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  9. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

cmth - Your comment is exactly right, and the accompanying article does indeed show the design is "toned down."

But one of the sidebars of the Lexus website is captioned "Design Philosophy." I sense a conflict between the design department, and the production and marketing department. I, for one, am grateful the latter prevailed. The "toned down" depiction appears to be a very handsome vehicle.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "The Toyota Prius should debut in late 2014, with sales to start in early 2015. Check back for a full review of the 2015 Toyota Prius, including specs, driving impressions and buying advice as it becomes available."

2015 Toyota Prius Review | Edmunds.com

What's all this talk about a reveal next month?

11. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Still this: Schedule of 2015 Model Year Changes - Edmunds.com

And interesting and new: 2015 Toyota Sienna - release date, changes, review, refresh, hybrid

Toyota is being aggressive with a **new** hybrid fleet for at least the 2015 year. What better way than allow the Prius to kick off an unveiling this year.

What was it that Toyota said? 10 hybrid vehicles in 2015?

My guess:

1. Prius redesign
    2. Prius Plugin redesign
    3. Prius c redesign
    4 Prius c redesign
    5. Hydrogen Fuel Cell (yes it's hybrid)
    6. Sienna Hybrid
    7. NS4
    8.Prius Minivan? Maybe $4k more than the Sienna?
    9.?
    10.?

cycledrum likes this.
  12. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Probably. And don't worry. There will be another Prius Plug-in. Also, the liftback / Plug-in combo may be a reason it takes a bit longer to come out with a new gen Prius (liftback).

btw, anyone else notice the redesigned Insight listed for late 2014?? I wonder if the Honda Sport Hybrid system would make a good full hybrid in a car as small as Insight. If Honda puts out a new Insight (I heard the car was 'going out of production'), I'll bet it will be same size as new Prius.

14. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you want a Tesla ;)

15. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Almost

I want a Tesla Hybrid. I'm still not convinced on the range of pure electric and convenience.

I like the plugin hybrids and I honestly think that's the logical next step because you can go very far. You can fill up in just 5 minutes or take the benefits of plugin wherever you see a plug.

16. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    300 miles isn't enough?

17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    For some, it isn't.
    For those like me in cold winter climates, it is more like 200 in winter and 160 on the absolute worst day I have experienced.
    However, that is more than enough for me and the scores of other local Tesla owners I know.

Inferno, I doubt there will ever be a gas-electric Tesla hybrid. For that you will need to wait for Toyota, GM or such to increase the EV range of their hybrids.

inferno likes this.
  18. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

300 miles like a non-hybrid, however charging at least a half hour like no other gas car...:p

I'm spoiled by my 500+ mile tank each time! And gas fill up is literally no more than 5 minutes. Don't get me wrong, I like the Tesla, but not practical in terms of price and usage for me at least.

19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If you drive more than 250 miles a day, I can see that.
    I almost never do and have to tell you, the convenience of NEVER needing to stop to fuel up is one of the biggest reasons I will never buy another car I can't fuel up in my garage.

markabele likes this.
  20. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I take it you own a Tesla?

I drive 180 in a day, winter worries me. At times I do 220 depending on conferences and what not. I'd consider the PiP because I'd imagine I could do 170 a day and not have to fill up twice. 220 would also be no problem, and I could charge anywhere straight from 0 to at least 400 miles. But yeah, just 11 miles I couldn't justify that little amount to upgrade and pay more to going from my 2010 to a PiP.

Here's to what's next...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.