1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 2016 Malibu Hybrid: On sale One year from now!

Ford C Max, Prius killer? | Page 14 | PriusChat

Not quite sure why I would want to see something right now that I will not be able to buy for months.
    2015 Frankfurt Motor Show from 17 September – 27 September 2015
    2015 Tokyo Motor Show from 29 October - 8 November 2015

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no. we know absolutely nothing. and please don't crown the malibu just yet, it might go to its head.

3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

Nope, No proof yet. Just some Marketing Folks on here saying we will be BLOWN away by the undisclosed Gen4 at an undisclosed time / year… LOL!

I really don't understand the reasoning with holding off with any and all info? I mean look at the Dodge Hellcat lineup! There was no secret held back prior to launch and look at sales now!! Dodge had to cease taking orders due to being overwhelmed by the demand….

Felt likes this.
  4. FriarNurgle

FriarNurgle Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They are likely holding off due to still making improvements and not having solid figures yet. I'd wager that has much more to do with the delay than with the rumored styling changes. Chances are we won't be "blown away" but rather reasonably pleased with the new model.

5. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Seems like the FC vehicle diverted finite resources.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  6. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I agree with all of the above post.

What I don't agree with is the notion that Toyota does not want to provide a "tip" to the competition. Suppose Toyota has succeeded in developing something really revolutionary .... something so remarkable that the auto world will be "blown-away."
    It wold take the competition more than a year to design, engineer, and develop a response,
    plus there would be patent protection.

I fear the delay is more problematic that not wanting to "show their hand." And, it may be as simple as noted above .... resources and interest have been directed elsewhere.

7. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So far the answer why Toyota did not have a 2016 Prius at all the major U.S. Auto Shows so far is that there is
    no definitive answer, pure speculation.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We know Hyundai has been spotted with a car that appears to be a direct competitor to liftback. Maybe there is another mfr working on the same. Toyota doesn't want to give them a heads up or Headstart.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i reason it has more to do with toyota wanting to get it 'right' the first time, and not have to deal with a ton of problems the first year. which tells me they have more up their sleeve then meets the eye. cagey, i like it.

10. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Which? Is it cagey hand-waving or is it merely fumbling?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gm is hand waving, ford is fumbling, toyota is inscrutable. they cannot be scruted.

70AARCUDA and San_Carlos_Jeff like this.
  12. scripto

scripto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So I guess the NY auto show was supposed to be interesting because of the Rav4 hybrid? I'm guessing that makes awd on the Prius less likely. Wonder if the rav4 will get anywhere near 40 mpg?

13. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

Just traded our 2014 Rav4 XLT 4x4 (18-20 mpg) a couple weeks ago for a true 40+ mpg car. Our new 2014 Prius v...couldn't be happier...

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Right now the one thing I wish is they would take a look at the shamble of fasteners on the myriad underpinnings. I pulled out the front fender liners yesterday. Well almost, one fastener at the back of wheel well defeated me, didn't want to destroy it.

An overview, and this is something worth opening up every few years:

image.jpg

And a close up of a totally rustbound connection. I tried taking one bolt off, on each side. In both instances the heads broke off. If they'd used pop rivets here at least you wouldn't have false hope:

image.jpg

15. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lexus NX 300h does 33mpg, would hope 35 mpg for Rav4 hybrid!

scripto likes this.
  16. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota Plots a Comeback for Prius After Tesla Takes Spotlight

"
    If the company builds the Prius prototype it showed U.S. dealers in August, it’ll epitomize Toyoda’s push for more exciting rides, said Mike Jackson, chief executive officer of AutoNation Inc.

“Here you have one of the most technologically advanced cars, packaged in one of the most boring designs in the history of mankind,” said Jackson, who runs the largest U.S. auto dealership group. “They’ve really tried to bring personality to the next-generation Prius,” he said. “It’s definitely not plain vanilla.”

Inside Toyota, there’s been much debate over whether the company ought to stray from the familiar looks of its pioneering, wedge-shaped hybrid model, said Jim Lentz, Toyota’s North American chief.

Styling Changes
    “I think for the most part, it will be intact,” Lentz said at the Detroit auto show. “When you see styling, you see interior, the changes we made in the next generation -- it’s going to be strong.”

Newest Features

Toyota will have to do more if it wants to maintain the Prius as the showcase for the company’s newest and best features. Innovations back in 2009, like rear-view cameras, touch controls and crash-avoidance braking are increasingly standard fare in new cars.

Prius will still hold a fuel-economy edge in the U.S. excluding EVs, with Toyota promising a 15 percent improvement across its hybrid lineup through its TNGA efforts. That implies adding another 7 or 8 mpg to the existing 50 mpg rating in combined city and highway driving.

“I used to like Prius a lot,” said Kurt Kelty, Tesla’s director of battery technology and former Prius owner, who takes pride in converting others like him to the Tesla. “Even so, I don’t want to drive cars other than Model S. This is a next-generation car, and I hear our customers say the same kinds of things.”"

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a load of you know what from all three quoted above. honestly, i don't even know what they are saying. and i suspect they don't either.

18. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Confirms Toyota showed photos of Gen IV prototype last August at their annual dealers meeting.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah at the Las Vegas dealer's meeting, right?

20. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it was in Houston, Tx. last year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.