1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

4th generation coming 2015!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by edmcohen, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a 4WD/AWD system will cost you in fuel economy as well, more parts that can break down, increased cost, additional maintenance (not that much tho), and in some cases, a false sense of security if you don't understand the laws of physics (like many SUV drivers). Plus it doesn't help with the stopping power of the car.

I do get what you are saying. I'll be using my RAV4 4WD with snow tires once the snow really hits, and only drive the Prius on clear days, I just don't think there is a cheap option for those few days a year.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It would be interesting. Perhaps, they may be able to reduce the number of cells with larger capacity cells, to reduce cost.

Sergiospl likes this.
  3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume they would allow the rear MG for regen braking, too. So technically you should be able to stop quicker without using friction (until under 10 or 7 mph or whatever it is).

4. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    4WD, even with regen, isn't going to stop you quicker when it's slippery. Only good rubber can help you here. Anyways, I feel like I am derailing this thread here, so my apologies. The 4WD rumors got my interest :)

5. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand that. I was meaning at a sudden red light or whatever on a normal day.

6. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Auris Hybrid 2013 also got a double wishbone rear suspension, is sleaker and more aerodynamic.

austingreen likes this.
  7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is it available now? Darn, we'll have to wait a year or two more for Gen4.

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    When you have a chance to drive and compare it to the old auris and gen III prius let us know. I like the upgrade to suspension. I see on the specs that it also dropped 55mm in height which should lower the cg and reduce drag.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    HV battery is lower to the ground too, under the rear seat like Prius c.

I would expect Gen4 to have these improvements as well.

10. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

weights less... they did not publish MPG, just that it will be less than before (looking like minimal difference so far).

what i find interesting that they improved 0-10'kmh over old Auris, still slower than Prius though.... old one was 11.4, new one is 10.9 and Prius is 10.4.

For me, interesting part is not just normal trunk (big problem from before), much better interior (big problem from before), better suspension (was ok before), but this:

It is basically same HSD with some modifications, but above means that revs will go up and down more "naturally", which is what reviewers complain a lot and has been implemented in their new CVT's from 2011 and up, where the revs will go up to 6000 rpm during acceleration and then drop to 5400 or so stimulating the gear change... not sure if the same is possible with HSD.

Latest HSD has been introduced in 2009 so I wonder how much different will it be even for 2014 Prius... not awfully a lot of time to recoup the investment. And while we all expect they actually do modify it a lot, what happens to the cars like Prius v, Auris and CT200h, do they change their powertrains as well or keep them until new models are introduced? History doesnt tell us anything true, it could be even region based as Toyota would introduce latest engines in Europe but keep older ones longer in US and Japan.

11. JE Sukara

JE Sukara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  12. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  13. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The new auris Looks good

-Tapatalk

15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

really? I just read 3 British reviews... and they all say it is dull, boring and that hybrid "goes to high rpm when you accelerate". Pretty much any other car is better... or so they say.

:)

16. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The current prius only regens with the front tires, so an AWD Prius with regen on all four tires would put more 'rubber' on the job.

However, that is not what he said, he said that you would be able to brake quicker with regen. Currently only very gentle braking uses regen, after that it uses friction brakes, he is hoping that harder braking will still allow regen.

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is still using NiMH for the battery. Unless the battery is larger, or Toyota uses a capacitor like Mazda for the regenerative brakes, the amount of electricity the battery can take up by braking is going to be as limited as the current Prius. It is possible the engineers have more confidence in using a higher charge rate without damaging the battery. Which may give a slight improvement.

For the same limits, having regen at the rear won't increase total braking. Since the battery charge rate is the limiting factor, any braking(charging) coming from the rear will have to be balanced by reducing the braking in the front. With the front brakes doing the heavy lifting, this will reduce overall braking.

There maybe situations where rear regen braking could be useful for controlling the car. I think that for most of those few occasions the driver will be calling up the friction brakes quickly enough that having the regen in the rear isn't cost effective.

Do the HiHy and RX hybrids use rear regen?

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    4WD regen would help with the potholes. If one of the front wheel stops spinning (in order to protect MG1), rear wheels can regen instead of cutting the regen off split second (before friction pads kicks in).

Tideland Prius likes this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So here's to hoping Toyota has found a denser battery solution (if it's not Li-Ion chemistry). Toyota will always play conservative. They'd rather have the car last 15 years without issue than to have battery issues come back to haunt them at the 8 year mark.

To quote the Chief Engineer of the Gen 3 Prius at Prius Connection Detroit (the event 50 of us attended for the world premier of the 2010 Prius), "We don't want to be the first. We want to be the best."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.