1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5 seconds Buzzing Noise every time I depress brakes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by andreimontreal, Dec 20, 2019.

1. andreimontreal

andreimontreal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Driving earlier in the hood and I noticed that instead of the hydraulic "pssst" I hear this buzzing noise every time I press the brakes. Is it just like that and it comes from somewhere in front of the pedal, I hear it as coming from underneath there. If I stop/park, and I press the pedal as soon as I press it I get that buzzing.

Anybody has a clue? I'm looking to order a mini vci to scan this issues - should I go with the 1.4 or 2.0 version (looking on Amazon, aliexpress and whatnot).

Was there a brake recall for Priuses in Canada?

EDIT: the guy above with the video posted on his website about a Toyota Brake recall:
    Faulty Brake Actuator & Brake Booster Pump on Toyota & Lexus Cars

#1 andreimontreal, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  2. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    go with v2.0 /

andreimontreal likes this.
  3. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks buds!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check with a dealer, your vin has the secret locked inside

5. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just finished looking on the website - only the SRC R66 Hybrid System Software Update comes up.

bisco likes this.
  6. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Sounds normal

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  8. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Mendel! Now that I have the ammo gonna go shoot at the local dealer. Warrnaty Enhancement Program ... that's short for "We messed up but don't tell anybody, pls - we'll fix it for free"?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sometimes they'll identify an actual manufacturing error that went into a certain range of cars, like one time they found out one of their electric motor suppliers installed a mold incorrectly for plastic brush holders, and made a certain number of brush holders with that mold, which got used in a certain number of cars with known VINs. That kind of thing is usually the story behind a recall or a special service campaign. "We messed up" (or our supplier did).

It also happens that parts get built correctly, and eventually wear out. That's a "we messed up" in exactly as much as everything you have ever built is indestructible and will function perfectly forever, right?

10. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With low mileage and quite a few cases around, not sure that you can call that wear out; fail maybe. Aren't these supposed to be bomb proof pieces designed to last the life of the car? That's what I read at least theoretically.

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On Dec 15th didn't you start a thread about concerns with your brake system born out of several warning lights and sounds and the overall feeling of your brakes?

This just seems to me like FURTHER warning from your Prius that you have a problem with the system.

You might find advantage by going to the dealer pre-armed with knowledge about recalls, and TSB's. But my advice remains the same, at some point you NEED to have the system checked out.
    Seems like you are getting ample warning that a problem exists, and IMO it's not worth continuing to drive, in a condition that creates risk to yourself and others on and around the road.

Grit likes this.
  12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just the ATF is good for the life time of car :LOL:

mikey_t likes this.
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    He said no to reading CEL codes also, we re in for some serious future plug n pray follow up posts.

14. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And I thought it was the car's way of saying "I love you".

bisco likes this.
  15. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know you're kidding.
    But I've read enough posts over the years where you would sincerely think the person WAS looking at dash board warning lights, and taking them as love notes from the vehicle.
    Not your case, but it's frustrating when people will come in, and say they have this "mysterious" problem, then about 3 paragraphs into their situational description admit that they had a warning light come on about a month previous, but ignored it because the vehicle seemed to be running OK.
    This happens way too much.

No people, when you get a warning light....it's a warning.

Good Luck with your brakes and brake system.

mikey_t and Grit like this.
  16. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was at Toyota today - deferred till Monday (at least) not that I have to go anywhere literally (I have to do my parent's house that they just bought, often building custom stuff - I'm trapped here for a good while, not getting out). Yeah I get your frustration ... I'm the opposite end of the spectrum, a stickler for detail, with engineering in my dna although I work in an artistic field (cinema).

What I meant to say by that line in bolt was that "I know I have to go to Toyota to at least get the codes OR use a mini vci (which I don't have yet so Toyota because out of options). So, don't waste your breath on such mundane things; instead tell me what I don't know, like dyi hacks that could help me or help me understand what is going on."

Like for instance that Toyota has been up their neck busy with similar recalls and that this is a fairly known issue.

Speaking of which, I might file an automotive complaint here in Cana-duh. So far I found this gvt source. Anybody ever filed one of these?

17. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mundane?
    Well I've been accused of worse.

Good Luck with your Prius Brake System.

Grit likes this.
  18. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is the cue for me to have at some red wine.

The Electric Me likes this.
  19. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not accusing anybody; it's a self obvious truth. Everybody knows that if you get a problem with the car you go to a mechanic or the dealer's garage; that is mundane - see the definition. You're probably mistaking mundane for trivial. While going to the mechanic is mundane, it is no trivial matter. The opposite to mundane in this case is understanding the situation, how things work, and potentially finding a fix and applying it. If you look at the antonyms for mundane, you can see that abnormal is one of those words. It's abnormal for somebody who's not a mechanic to want to fix their own car - especially true in N America.

Now, for Grit, to put things in perspective: it's mundane to buy a bottle of red wine, it's abnormal to ferment your own from scratch - you follow? My dad has some delicious Merlot left over. For an engineer that is outstanding - that sums up the family. Cheers.

A

20. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can't, the wine already kicked in couple minutes ago.