1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

50k tire rotation

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vvillovv, Sep 8, 2021.

1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm almost at 50k and just got the maintenance notification on the MID after I rotated the tires.

I still haven't gotten around to adding the new tpms sensor I had to replace on one of the OEM wheels, but I'll get around to it one of these days.
    I inspected the rear brakes, but I can't really see the inner pads so I'll be on that soon. The fronts have a bit of scorching on the rotors, but nothing I'm worried about yet. Besides I had to lockup the brakes a few nights ago while passing a labor day party with someone leaving - out from behind the line of cars on the side of the road

Anyways, I thought I noticed the front right tire looked more worn than the left.
    I compared a couple of well traveled routes and noticed after the tire rotation that I'm not getting the same efficiency as I was before the tire rotation. And it's quite noticeable to me, not so much to the other daily driver.;)

My thought is that the right front is out. So I think it's time.
    I'll be checking the tread depths as soon as I can get at the machine.

2. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When rotating, did you cross the tires? That will create a situation where the direction of rotation changes, and this will easily cause the efficiency to change. I'd suggest keeping the tires on the same side, just rotate front to back, to maintain the same rotation direction.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What are you trying to say here ?
    The fact that you rotated the tires has NOTHING to do with the reminder coming on.
    And it is JUST a reminder. It does not indicate that anything is wrong.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That’s a little confusing; you just need a tread depth gauge, right?

50k miles on those tires? Replacement time in any event?

5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for the replies and apologies bout the confusion. Anyways, I need to take care of yearly service and I finally got around to step one of this series with the tire rotation and visual brake inspection. But like last years brake job I had to do most of it at night.
    I replaced the OEM tires with Michelin Defenders just before I tackled the nackered front brakes at 36k miles last fall, referenced here
    It was already starting to get dark when I started and it was night and had rained before I was done. Nothing wrong, just typical of my wonderful scheduling abilities ....

I actually got the first front wheel off the car before it got dark and looking down at the tread I was shocked at how much it looked like the right front tire had worn and my mind started working overtime trying to diagnose why.

I got my tread depth gauge out and measured both tires that were on the front, that are now on the back, last night. I only lost 3/32s in 14k miles, but I swear it looked like 6/32s of the original 11/32s. and on 90k mile tread life warranted tires. All 4 treads on both tires were within 1/64th of 8/32s (I did straight front to back wheel changes, but I'll be double checking the rotation marks to see if I screwed up when mounting the defenders last summer. thanks FuelMiser ).

I hope that reduces at least some of the confusion.

Concerning the brakes, again I swear &)(^%&)% looking through the mags I thought the rear rotors were rusting on about 1/3 the outter pad mating surfaces on both sides. When I got the wheels off the rear rotors and pads looked fine on the outside. But I couldn't really see much of the inside pad and non of the inside of the rotor yet. I want to get a look at how they've handled the first 50k miles (and fingers crossed) how the factory packed the slide pins to compare with what I found when I did the front brakes last year..

Than after I get those chores done I'll get around to the yearly oil change and reset the MID maintenance minder.