1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5K service road trip question

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by raggedphoto, Jul 20, 2021.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and most plugs look almost new at 120k. prius is the bad boy of maintenance.

no wonder most dealers would rather sell pick up trucks

jerrymildred and raggedphoto like this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup. Those iridium plugs really do go that long. I replaced them on two different Gen 2 at about 115k miles. Looked almost new.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    need proof of photos of plugs going in all silver and coming out all silver if almost new.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There’s not really any correlation, cars needing particular oil catch cans. Lots here are just going with a cheapie can, maybe adding more baffling (stainless steel pot scrubber material).

None are sanctioned by Toyota (doubtful they would even acknowledge the need…), and they’re “technically “ breaking the pollution control regs, regardless of reality, simply because they’re not vetted by the regulatory bodies that approv these things. In a nutshell: any mod to the factory pollution control system is illegal.

The “bad flywheel” link in my signature in-turn links THE oil catch can thread, by @danlatu.

I went with Moroso 85474 on my 3rd gen, but they’re pricey.

#24 Mendel Leisk, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    raggedphoto likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The electrons seem to care mostly about the shape and gap of the electrodes and not so much about the color.

No accounting for taste....

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    raggedphoto likes this.
  7. raggedphoto

raggedphoto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thread update:

5K service done at 6,200 miles by the dealer I bought the car from (Toyota of Portland), no issues.
    Car did great on a 2,600 mile road trip with an average of 55 MPG. Kinda bummed it brought the lifetime average down from 250 to 125 MPG.
    The car is much lower than my Tacoma and the bumper scraped in my parents driveway :(

Thanks again everyone!

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    o_O

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see that as a non-issue. If you want a BEV, then get one. This car is for uses where a BEV doesn't yet fit one's needs.

When I finally get a PHEV (tight supply chain is my only remaining reason for not having one already), I expect that most of my driving days will be pure EV, but most of my driving miles will be HV.

10. raggedphoto

raggedphoto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    It is a complete non-issue, this was the first time driving the car for long distances so the first 3,000 miles of owning it were mostly all EV hence the high averaged "MPG". I know it's an arbitrary number I just like seeing that I am getting the equivalent of 250 miles per gallon.

11. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Yep I had a 2005 Tacoma with the non-iridium plugs but I didn't know that...she still had the originals in 2015 when I traded it in for a Tundra (the Taco had 90,000). The Taco had no issues.
    The Prius has a small cover with 3 or 4 10mm bolts you have to remove to access the oil drain and oil filter. I took a chance on this from Amazon and very pleases...the oil filter wrench fits perfectly and the oil fill funnel screws right on so makes the oil change easy. (I just did the first change on my 21 AWD Prius...she had 1,515 miles and I wanted to get the original oil out after break-in in the unlikely chance there's anything in there, like metal shavings, from the production/assembly process.)

Not sure if the link worked...it's called
    Motivx Tools Oil Filter Wrench, Drain Tool, and Advanced Engine Oil Funnel Set for Toyota & Lexus 2.0L - 5.7L Engines with Cartridge Style Oil Filter Systems

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’ve noticed those, sounds interesting.

13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's the same brand filter wrench I've been using for several years except mine is the one specifically for the Prius and other like it. That funnel is cool! I hadn't seen those before. The one I have is a good fit, though.