1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

700 mile club!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by prinut, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Well.....

Gas is cheap now right?

So... Hummers, Hemi's, and v-10's for all right. Lol.

Or so goes the thinking of most.

Don't get me wrong I kinda miss the growl of the flowmaster 40's into straight pipes pumping out the tail end and the awesome tq. But at what cost....

I had a sweet SRT challenger blow by me last night in the city. We got stuck at the same traffic lights, etc. It was kinda cool creeping up in EV next to almost 500 hp. Lol.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nothing wrong with toys, but for the daily commute...not in my house.

3. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I am also scratching my head on that 700 mile claim on 17s. Teach us the ways......:D

4. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Maybe said Gentleman airlifted his Prius onto Loveland or cottonwood pass and slapped his Pri into B mode and then just kept on truckin into lower elevations. Lol.

If 700 mile tanks are possible I am very jealous as I try hard and must suck at driving the Pri as I am hundreds of miles off of such a trophy! :(

5. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's easy but just a tad risky. What I do is I pump 1.5 gallon more gas after first click slowly. Then right when the low fuel first beep and the last bar starts to flash, I reset trip A. The distance to empty should be somewhere between 23 and 27 miles. I drive another 1.3-1.5 or so gallons worth of distance. If I average 60 mpg then I'll drive 90 miles before I go to the gas station. If I know I have 50 mile trip coming, I just go fill up the tank even though my trip A only has 20 miles. I'm on factory 17s with original tires.

6. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Impressive regardless if you did it on 15 or 17's. I just don't see that's possible in my area. Hills and high speed sections don't help me get anywhere close.

I should hit my 3rd 500 mile tank soon. This may my best tank ever at around 48 mpg.

iPhone ? - now Free

7. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congratulations!
    Yes... The Prius is mighty awesome.
    The Prius' interior uses some new plant based synthetic material that is suppose to be more eco friendly than oil based synthetic materials or leather.

with respect to what a Prius gas tank can hold I believe that if you are going to burn the gas immediately on a long road trip - the Prius gas tank can be topped off at about 12.2 US gallons (that is if you plan to burn about 0.3 gallons immediately after the fill up which translates to driving at least about 16 to 20 miles of driving). The reason some say not to go over the first click at the fuel pump is that the extra gas tends to go into the pressure release valve - if the gas in pressure release valve is not used immediately and the gas in the tank heats up increasing the volume of the gas (via the Idea Gas Law) then you'll lose that extra gasoline through the gas tank pressure release valve or the valve will break and you'll have to buy a new gas tank to replace it - which is expensive. When the Prius gas tank is filled it up to the first click/fuel pump pressure sensor activated automatic stop should fill up the Prius gas tank something closer to 11.9 US gallons. A Linear Logic Scangauge II when programmed to display the xgauge Flv can display the Prius fuel gauge sensor readout which is from 0.7 to 11.4 US gallons. The beep and flashing last bar on the Prius fuel gauge display goes on when the Prius fuel gauge sensor is persistently reading 1.7 gallons. When the Prius front end is tilted up like in a uphill climb the Prius fuel gauge reads slightly more and when the Prius front end is tilted down like in a downhill drop the Prius fuel gauge reads slightly less.