1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

A pillar vs other options for dashcam install

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Wraiththe, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Looking to install wiring for a dashcam in my 2017 prius.

I was going to go through the a pillar down to the fuse box, but now I am wondering if there is a way to get power from the rear view mirror cables instead. It is a lot closer and the converter is pretty small. The Dashcam will be mounted right next to the box behind the rear view mirror.

2. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I pondered that but discounted it. The power supply for the rear view mirror is tiny, as are the wires. Dashcams can draw 1 or 2 Amps and I just didn't feel the wiring was beefy enough to handle that.

It's really easy to run up from the fuse box. I used an Add-A-Fuse device to T off the 12V socket fuse. I got the negative from a metal bolt/nut that is close to the fuse box just above the back of the foot well - I just used a ring connector and an extra nut. The cable then runs up behind the flap of the door seal all the way to the ceiling, then along tucked under the edge of the ceiling cover. The result is that you can't see the cable anywhere and it has it's own separate fused supply that is switched with the ignition. If you want it on all the time there are other fuse sockets you could T off.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No idea which dashcam @The Professor used, but I added a Blackvue DR900 and powered it from the front-facing camera/safety pod in our Prius c. I did an installation thread with details.

The additional power draw of my camera is miniscule and well within spec as an additional load for the original Toyota wiring.

I think every Prius has switched ignition power available in the overhead console area whether the car is actually equipped with an auto-dim mirror or not.

Wraiththe likes this.
  4. MIkeDr

MIkeDr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
  5. HopefulGasSipper

HopefulGasSipper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have installed three Viofo A129 Plus Duos this year. One of them caught an accident that totaled one of my RAV4s. In the 3 weeks preceding that accident, the cameras also caught a freeway accident and a guy running a clearly red light. At least, with our accident, it proved that my daughter wasn't looking at her cell phone, somebody pulled in front of her although it was still her fault. Speeding in a construction zone, she kept accelerating after somebody cut in front of her. Stuff she got taught but obviously didn't listen.

I will be installing a fourth camera system into a Prius 3 4th generation. I have decided that the most beneficial location is in the small window at the tailgate. The spoiler cuts out too much field of view to put the camera up in the back.

I have removed the pillar column along the driver side and will carefully route the power up from the fuse box and over to the camera along with the rear cameras video feed wire. Since the car is also parked on a public school campus, I will be using a parking mode system with a battery power cut off that is selectable. I prefer it recording continuously as, if there should be an unfortunate event in the field; of view, the camera will be rolling and could be helpful in solving any crimes.

The brand is a bit iffy, Viofo power modules had poor quality control. The cameras, they're pretty dang great. The software options also great.

The brand was recommended to me from a friend who installed the earlier version of the system a while back and it has operated flawlessly.