1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ABS Quandry

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rabbi, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Rabbi

Rabbi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I picked up an 07 Prius with an actuator problem - barking like a dog problem. Anyway, I have replaced 3 different units and keep getting the C1253 Hydro boost relay code. After the second assembly replacement, I took it to a shop that works on hybrids and they said the issue was with the assembly. So, I got a third assembly, cleared the codes, turned the car off...and the next morning the lights and same code come back up. Codes won't clear again. It do have Techstream and have used it to do my diagnostics.

Any thoughts? Could this be a harness or skid control unit problem. I'd hate to throw more money at this before considering all the options. Thanks for any input.

2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you putting in used actuators? If so this makes diagnosing the issue much harder. A new actuator will have a warrantee that it will work for one year. It will also come with a new resistor to match the new actuator.

You can introduce a host of problems with a used actuator unit, to include fluid contamination etc. Have you bleed the brakes with the procedure in Techstream. Also did you calibrate the new actuator to the vehicle? When you replace the actuator there is a whole procedure for calibration and brake bleeding after its installation.

Having done this repair to our vehicle I was curious about if you had followed all the procedures for this repair and were still having problems.

Here is a link to a post discussing the code you described
    C1253 DTC 136 Hydro-booster pump motor relay | PriusChat

Look at post 8

#2 John321, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Rabbi

Rabbi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for this! I did have used actuators put in and did not know about a resistor or calibration to the vehicle. I had the shop bleed the brakes instead of me using Techstream as i am still learning the system. Toyota told me the unit I had in was bad before doing any actual work to it. Is there a procedure you can point me towards that I can do the repair going forward? Thanks!

4. kens97uber171

kens97uber171 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can pick up a remanufactured unit now for about $600. Not cheap but much cheaper than a new one from Toyota, and not that much more expensive than a salvage yard unit.
    the resistor is not absolutely necessary to make it function what it will do is change the sound that the pump makes when it runs.
    I'm not sure about the calibration, I didn't do that when I change mine out and my brakes seem to work fine. I also did not change the resistor.
    I got lucky and found a used one at a salvage yard that was in an actual running car and they were able to check there were no codes stored, and offered a return policy if I put it in and it didn't work. We did discover that you do not have to put in a specific part number accumulator pump. Toyota will tell you that only a particular one will work in your car. But the reality is the replacement accumulator pump that they put in all of the second gen cars has the same part number. Which means there can't be much or any variance between the three different part numbers that were used during the cars lifecycle 2004 to 2009. My suspicion is that there were three different suppliers for the pumps and that is why there are three different part numbers. The one that I put in my car was from an 09 I have an 08 and the part number on the pump does not match the one that came out of the car. And again mine seems to work fine, over 50,000 miles on it in the last year since I changed the pump.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

SFO likes this.
  5. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Below in the .pdf is a page from the Prius manual. Bullet point 1 is where they specify the procedures for the Brake Actuator replacement.
    On some of the next pages they mention additional calibration procedures that are also required.

As mentioned some have completely ignored these procedures and had success using a salvaged part.

I was overly careful with this Brake Actuator replacement as it involved the brake system of the vehicle and my wife and kids often use this vehicle. I was taking absolutely no chances and followed the book on this replacement and the procedures the book specified after replacing the actuator.

The Toyota Prius Repair manual is the one that I use to guide my replacement activities as well as advice from a kind Toyota Technician who advised me on what they do when they replace these units.

I want to mention again I am overly careful when working on systems like brakes and also mention other have had success using salvaged brake actuators and completely ignoring the procedures in the manual.

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.
  6. Rabbi

Rabbi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks John321 and Kens97Uber171. I'll let you know what happens. I appreciate this forum.