1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AC Cuts Off Randomly on Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EK2017, Aug 25, 2019.

1. EK2017

EK2017 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a 2017 Prius Prime. Over the past several weeks, I have typically been driving in Normal mode. The AC turns itself off on it's own at random intervals. This is particularly true when it's in Manual AC mode, but it happens in AUTO AC mode too. I find that it is happening more often when I am driving on the highway, and when I have set the AC to LOW or in the low to mid 60s. However, the AC also turns off at higher temperatures.

If I push the AC button after it turns itself off, it will go back on and continue to function for a certain amount of time. I don't believe that the car is cooling off especially well; I'm especially skeptical about whether the AC is cooling the car to the lower temperature range. I don't see a big difference between the car cabin temperature when the AC is set to 70 and when it is set to LOW.

Has this happened to you? Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing the AC to function in this way? This seems to be a new phenomenon. I have not noticed this before. I appreciate your advice.

Thank you.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't recall reading about this problem before. unfortunately, it sounds like a trip to the dreaded dealer is in order.
    all the best!(y)

3. Kicks07

Kicks07 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I guess my first question would be, do you have the eco mode enabled within the air-conditioning (not the drive mode)? If you do try disabling that and see if that resolves it. If not, you might want to take a trip to the dealer. Good luck!

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My first question is why on earth you'd set it that low in the first place unless you're transporting raw meat over long distances. ;)

That said, it should keep running unless it's icing up which it might do when using settings that low, especially in cool weather. I'd take it to the dealer if it's still under warranty. If not under warranty, any decent A/C shop that works on hybrids should be able to check it out.

5. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There was an issue where some people had recall work done, but the dealer didn't plug the connector for the fan back in. That caused the fan not to work, so the compressor would shut down if there wasn't another source of airflow. For example, I think the AC would run for about 5 minutes while parked then the compressor would shut off.

I've sat in the car while it does the traction battery cooler cycle, and it gets quite cold. It's basically the same as setting the temperature to low, fan to high, recirc on, face vents, and eco off. It runs for 30 minutes. Probably gets the interior to the 60's if it's night time and moderate temperature outside.
    • If you have Auto selected it will vary the fan speed based on if the sun is hitting the sensor on the windshield.
    • If you have Eco selected it will vary the output depending on who-knows-what. But it seems fine to me.
    • If you have recirc off it won't be able to get as cold, and the fan feels weaker.
    • If you have the fan speed low the coil might freeze up, and it will have to wait for it to defrost.
    • If you have the air flow come out anywhere besides just the face vents the car will feel warmer overall.

If it's hot (90+) and sunny outside it might take a long time (20+ minutes) to get to meat-locker temperatures no matter what you have it set to. All economy cars are this way. The Prius actually seems better than most because the AC is very efficient, has to be powerful enough to work as a heat pump, and has to help cool the battery.