1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding backup camera to 2012 non-nav Prius 2 with touch screen

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by our1vue, Aug 31, 2013.

1. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    James4455,
    This is the thread that tells you everything you ever wanted to know about backup cameras :)
    BACK UP CAMERA FOR 2012 PRIUS two TOUCH SCREEN- NON NAV | PriusChat
    That was the basis for this thread. Around append #381 and #388 they talk about plug and play installs.
    So are you going to order the beatsonic kit ? I assume it would come with instructions which would make
    the BB guy happy. Most of the people here bought/built their own 6.5V to 3.3V regulators which allows
    the use of the HU power which allows the HU to correctly sense the camera. Please let us know what
    way you want to go on this.

2. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    James4455,
    Append #318 in the BACK UP CAMERA FOR 2012 PRIUS two TOUCH SCREEN- NON NAV | PriusChat thread just hitched up the video camera signal to the red and black video wires. For the camera
    power he connected it to a 12V source that was hot when ever the car was on and grounded the camera to the frame.
    It worked. Assuming the BB installer got the red and black wires right, if he would have connected it to a 12V other than the backup lights, it may have worked. No need to mess with the white or orange wires.

3. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    the easy way is to convert from 12V-3.3V to 6V-3.3V . easy pie to do , if you have basic soldering skill..
    total I spent was $20 for camera, and 3 leftover extra pins plus my own soldering skill. I route the cable to driver lover panel. clean and easy to remove without trace while the car is still under warranty.

4. chang50012

chang50012 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just added the backup camera on our 2014 Prius II with Factory HU.

Many thanks again for great detail information on this PriusChat to provide inside information for those new owners like me.

I am not that handy around the car and very hesitate to do it myself. But I do my diligent to research on all the posts and understand the different between each different camera and their connection. To avoid some of the voltage trouble I selected a CCD camera works with 6V and harness to go with HU. Basically it is plug and play kit.

After located a reliable shop then I ordered the kit to come in and schedule the time for it. Total cost (shop labor and I provided the kit) is around $265.95.

Hope this help and I like my Prius more now.

5. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    chang50012,
    Would you mind appending some details about your kit and where you got it ? It would help people who
    who don't want to do it themselves. Also I'm curious as to where you found a 6V camera. Thanks.

6. chang50012

chang50012 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    our1vue,

I would be glad to that.

Here is the plug and play camera kit I got from ebay. You will notice he provided 6v CCD camera

I know the harness to radio may not as good as the Beat-Sonic BCUS3 but this kit is has everything I was looking for. Simply plug and play with factory HU without worry about any voltage different.

I have hard time to upload those picture. Here is the photo link

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=9IZNGblo4Yxg

our1vue likes this.
  7. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad I found this thread. I got a quote to install an OEM camera on my 2014 prius II for 350.00. That covers parts and labor.

I snubbed the expense of the camera when I bought mine. Being nothing more than a "fish eye" camera without the lines to align you when you back into a space I thought of it as an expensive novelty for small car. I'll admit now, with the horrendous blind spots, I found myself all but sticking my head out the window when backing and lament not getting it although, with an independent hybrid service shop doing it I'll save a couple of hundred.

Funny thing is the sales person said I could beat just about any factory option by going after market. BTW, he was looking over his shoulder as he whispered it to me after I asked about that and nice wheels.

8. Donald223

Donald223 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    call this guy 310-804-8088 He does it for $300 including everything.

famoussd likes this.
  9. Donald223

Donald223 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, I have question. I have prius 2012 type 2. Now, I want to upgrade the head unit to the one like in prius 2012 type 4 or 5 with navigation ... Can I just replace it? I was told that If my prius does not have jbl speaker system, I can not. Is it correct?

10. KeepitSimple

KeepitSimple Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Few questions:

1. Confirming one can grab all the wires needed for the camera in the white plug located in the headliner. If one takes this route then no other wires need to be ran to the kick panel nor radio.
    2. One can use a voltage regulator purchased off of amazon-for example- "LM2596 Buck DC-DC Adjustable Step Down Power Supply Module Converter" which will take the cars 12v and step it down to 3 to allow the aftermarket camera to receive power. This can be placed in the headliner after heat shrinking and taping the unit.
    3. For this installation-Really all one needs is a typical ebay backup camera and voltage regulator as far as parts are concerned.
    Thanks!

11. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    KeepitSimple,
    I assume you have a 2012+ prius with the non-nav touch screen radio. . If that is true, then everything you need is at the white connector in the headliner (if you have the right camera and or regulator :)
    The connector has 4 wires: video signal, video ground, 6.5V and ground. If you get a 6.5V camera, then you don't need a voltage regulator and it is just a mater of connecting the 4 wires to the right terminals on the camera.
    If you get a 12V camera, then you need to do some magic. Most 12v cameras are really 3.3V cameras with a 12V to 3.3V regulator. You discard the 12V to 3.3V regulator and use the "LM2596 Buck .... converter" to convert the 6.5V from the white connector down to 3.3V that the camera needs. You have to use the 6.5V from the white connector for the HU to correctly sense the camera at Prius startup.
    There is some question as to the quality of some of these LM2596 Buck converters. Check out the #50 append to see what one a fellow priuschatter used. There is no reason that converter needs to be put in the headliner. It could be put in the tailgate (where there is a lot
    more room). Also remember it needs to be adjusted before it is hitched up to the camera. I don't think a 3.3V camera would like being hit with 12V or 6V.
    You are right, the only electrical parts you need is the camera and regulator. The only tricky part is how to tap into the white connector wires. If you have any more questions on this, just ask.

KeepitSimple likes this.
  12. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or you could put about a 100 ohm 1/4 watt resistor in series with a 10 or 25 turn cermet trim pot (same pot that's on that buck converter) and adjust from there. At that voltage and current you could probably get by with just the trim pot. I do this all the time when I convert fixed bias amps to adjustable bias all the time and they run at about up to 50vdc and 50ma of current. It may be called a bucking converter but it's nothing more than an expensive voltage divider. Something running at 3.3vdc should be happy at over 5vdc so don't make yourself crazy by trying to get it at exactly 3.3.

13. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Stratman,
    You could do that if you knew what a 100 umm, 25 turn cement trimmed pot is :)
    Not all of us are EE's. so we look for a more plug and play solution. Less offerings to the smoke
    god this way. With that said, seeing an EE at work is something to behold !

14. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's no different. You have to adjust the trim pot for 3.3vdc anyway even with the buck board. Plus you don't have to figure out how to connect it. Cut one wire, solder resistor lead, solder other lead to pot, solder other pot lead to the other cut end. It's straight in a row.

#74 Stratman, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  15. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is my plan also:

16. KeepitSimple

KeepitSimple Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does the Sony camera have night vision? I've seen a few on eBay that have the four dots aroundthe lens and state that they have night vision....

17. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You really don't need a night vision camera. When the backup lights come on, there is plenty to light for the camera to see what is behind you.

MrStop,
    Please let us know how the connectors work out. I used the ones from the dealer, but were really expensive. Another user ordered some different ones and they wouldn't make contact with the male pins in the connector.

One thing to note, some of the 6.5V cameras don't have the "D" shaped base that allows them to snap into the existing Prius opening. They instead are secured by bolting them to the rear hatch. Now if we could find a D shaped 6.5V camera, we would be all set.

#77 our1vue, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  18. Ilovemyprii

Ilovemyprii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  19. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the trick will be getting the stock HU to sense the camera via the wireless link. The camera and transmitter must be on when the car
    is turned on (not just when the car is in reverse). I don't think the HU has a RCA video in plug either (unless you are also getting another
    wiring harness)

20. Tremiata

Tremiata Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got done with my install...used the 3.3v ebay cam and buck convertor from Amazon except I purchased the one with the built in voltmeter(overkill but for geek factor). Ran three wires to the kick panel and wired in to the white/red/orange.

Thanks to everyone involved and for the great pdf!

Central Florida Area

#80 Tremiata, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014