1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice Please: About to Order 2012; Option Level Two OK?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by hisport, Aug 7, 2012.

1. hisport

hisport New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Funny, we started out looking at Honda's and VW's (esp TDI Sportwagen); now we're set to order a 2012 Prius Hatchback (Seafoam Green; dark gray interior) with option level two. Out the door is a touch less than $23K (buying via costco).

Couldn't see anything that justified level 3 and above. Am I missing something? We would have preferred the leatherette seat covers, but not for $4K. And, prefer a new garmin every couple of years to factory GPS systems. Definitely do not want back up camera etc.

Looks as if there are some aftermarket seat covers available; ditto floor mats. We have an e320 mercedes wagon, amd are amazed by how roomy the new standard Prius is.

Is the new Prius OK in the mountains? We live in NC close to the Blue Ridge.

Thanks!

2. ray6088

ray6088 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm happy with my package 2 minus missing 3 smart keys option! Never like factory gps while iphone's tomtom works great for me. First I thought I never need backup camera but I realized I need it. Just ordered rear camera for $50 then I will install it when the clazzio leather cover arrive ( still waiting after 4 weeks!). My Prius just turned over 4500 miles and getting much better mpg every days, 52mpg last tank and 54+ current tank.

3. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I reached the same conclusion as you (even considered the TDI or Honda). The only thing that would get me to the 3 is the additional smart keys, but they are not worth $1000 to me. If it is truly $23K including TTL, jump on it. That's a great price. It's even a 'fair' price without TTL. Let me know how it works out as I'm on the hunt for a deal and won't mind a trip to NC.

In regards to the mountains, I don't think there are any complaints. Someone recently posted about a trip on the Blueridge hwy.

4. hisport

hisport New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your note

We will be ordering the car today. We have a quote in hand for $22,637 out the door, but need to make sure the dealer doesn't try and add something upon order. Yes, its happened to me in the past, though this is our first Prius.

Best price we could find on the Jetta Sportwagon (via costco): $27,400. Biggest issue with Prius (its primarily for my wife): no leather upholstery. Based up[opn my quick search through this (excellent!!) forum, believe I will order leather upholstery set and redo myself. the dealer offered same (at ~$1500), but I don't trust dealer add ons (again based upon past experience)

If all goes smoothly, I'll contact you with the info. Is there a pmail option on this site (can't see how to work it). The costco/internet dealer guy is really great (and the regular sales person was by far the worst of the whole car buying thing so far for us - best to simply avoid). I'll give you the right contacts.

5. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We have a 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI, 5-speed manual along with our Prius. To me the Prius
    is a more comfortable car for long driving periods, and the Prius seems a lot quieter at highway
    speeds. Now, MPG's with the Jetta, is an overall average of about 52 MPG, calculated, with now
    over 136,000 miles.

Currently our Prius is 53 MPG for over the last 8,000 miles, calculated of course.
    Winter mpg's drop to about 45-48 mpg.

Personally if I was to buy a new car I would not buy a new Jetta Sportwagen. The mpg's
    are not that great and diesel fuel, at least in this part of the country is almost always 15-40 cents
    a gallon more than 87 octane. Also the price will be possibly a lot more and there would be a lot
    more maintence, meaning more money.

The Prius, regular hatchback model, would be my number one choice.

6. hisport

hisport New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great: thank you!! What a wonderful forum this is. Toyota should contribute to it. Your note and others convinced us to go Prius. See below.

We have now ordered the Prius (hatchback II); should be here by month end. This is really different for us; having had german cars for many years. The jetta sportwagen felt like home, so to speak, and has alot of oomph around town (236 ft lbs of torque, as you know). The Passat TDI is even more impressive (drives like an Audi; it is big too; reminds me of our A8 - which was an excellent car). But, we wanted a wagon or a hatchback (two smaller dogs).

We're excited about the Prius (funny, because we looked at so many cars that I kinda' dreaded driving; eg ford focus; honda fit). Understand that my last car - just sold - was a beloved M5 BMW, which would pass everything except a gas station (actually, about 20mpg average).

Filled up the Mercedes wagon on the way home from the dealer (~$65 of premium gas) and realized that it would have cost us about $25 of reg gas with the Prius. Then, Kathy saw a new green one, (seafoam?), and that sealed the deal. We had silver picked out.

Yeah; the VW TDI reliabilty records ain't horrible, but not in the same league as the Prius, from the little homework we did over the weekend. Seems like you get excellent mileage (52 mpg) with your TDI; compliments. Interestingly, the EPA window sticker figures for the 2012 Sportwagen are not at all great: 29 city; 39 highway, with DSG automatic. Road tests say expect 40 - 46. Yours better yet. The base TDI wagon would have cost us roughly $5K more out the door.

7. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My daughter has a 2011 Prius with trim package 2 and is very pleased with it. She also uses an aftermarket GPS unit. Re private messaging, I think that you click on the avatar of the person you want to PM (to the left of each post). You then get a menu that includes "start a conversation." Hope that works for you. Best of luck with your new Prius. BTW, my daughter also used Costco to buy from a dealership in Ohio. Her price was similar to yours, as I recall.

8. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you know which city she bought from?

9. hisport

hisport New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Roger

I'll use the avatar as a pmail link. Appreciate the tip.

Costco price was alot lower than the other quotes we received, even from the same dealer. Glad your daughter was also able to take advantage of this also.

For all: costcoauto.com offers prearranged discount pricing with local dealers. Go to the site and plug in your costco membership #, your zip code, and the specific vehicle you're shopping for (year make model trim color interior options and etc). Be very specific. You should receive a quote within 24 hours.

If you're not a costco member, its $50/year. We had roughly 5o times this in prius savings. Plus, you'll be able to buy raisin bran in boxes which should last at least 9 months, assuming you could stand eating two bowls every day.

10. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Beechmont Toyota | Cincinnati, Ohio | Toyota Dealer
    To make the deal, on top of the Costco price, they gave her an over allowance on her trade, extended the two year, 25K service to 30K miles, and gave her a couple of extra options at their cost.

11. asianstyles

asianstyles New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Less than 23 out the door? Or do you mean before tax?

12. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting. I just talked to him. He said they won't give me any price over the phone. He also said there is no way people are paying those kind of prices on Prius. He proceeded to tell me of all of the hail damaged cars, hidden fees, people bragging about lower prices than they actually paid, etc.

This seems to be the standard response from the dealers I have contacted in the area unfortunately. I'm glad it worked for your daughter though.

13. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am the one mentioned above who drove the top half of the Blue Ridge. In my Prius.

Driving the Blue Ridge Parkway | PriusChat

It was fantastic, both the BRP and the Prius. Plenty of power, great mileage?

Go for it!

14. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't recall the OTD price, but it was based on the Costco price previously agreed to by the dealer. Her trade was an older SUV with around 150K miles, and pretty tired. We got them up a couple of hundred bucks more than the auction price they were offered. I think the key is the Costco car buying program. And, of course, the salesman wants to get you in the showroom, rather than have you shop by phone. My daughter's car was not hail-damaged, and there were no hidden fees. OTD is simply that, the car plus all applicable taxes and registration fees. The dealer from whom I bought my PiP could beat the deal by about $1500, but we would have had to spend $1000 of that for trucking to Ohio, not to mention hassles arranging for credit union financing there and selling the old vehicle.

15. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I really miss not having a backup camera and I bet you will also, I think the three is worth the extra money for that feature alone, if I could do it over again.....

16. hisport

hisport New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    May I make some gentle car buying suggestions? These are based upon hard experience:

- Keep it simple
    (take the time to settle on exactly the car you want before endeavouring to purchase. Suggest you go to another dealer and do all this beforehand)

- Buy online
    (eg costco.com - above- or carsdirect.com, etc)

- Always pay cash
    (get a bank loan if you need to, but do not even discuss financing with a dealer)

- Only consider out the door pricing
    (keep it simple and directly comparable)

- Avoid all dealer/distributor tack ons
    (no, you don't need fabric scotchguard, paint sealer, nitrogen tire inflation, cheap window film, deer whistles, etc. You may not be able to avoid the dealer selling the car mats back to you, or charging you $500 in "document fees", but try. Costco.com as an example refuses doc fees)

- Never trade in
    (sell your old car on craigslist, or drop it off at carmax, etc. Don't even discuss it with a new car dealer)

Car dealers hate simple, and some will seemingly dislike you - but all will respect you. Trust me; I play poker with a couple of new car dealership owners (not Toyota). The marks that buy a $37K Prius (like the showroom one at our dealer) with $2K extended warranty and in house financing are the ones they laugh about. And Prius/Toyota buyers are amoung the most savvy and best heeled.

The really humerous (and sad, to me) stories are about wide-eyed, poorly educated, credit challenged, upside down buyers of big diesel pick ups and garish SUV's. Dealers are making really good money these days on high risk in house car financing, geared toward recycling new car repo's at ridiculous prices and interest rates.

17. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's called "Seaglass Pearl." The finest color, in my humble opinion. ;)

18. hisport

hisport New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks!

There were none at the dealer. Zero. We had to order one to get the "seaglass pearl". Would have either been silver Prius (or a Jetta Sportwagen; ahem) if Kathy hadn't seen the "green" one on the drive home.:cool:

19. Germwise

Germwise Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Five
    Just for clarificaiton.

My understanding is that if the price you give is plus Tax, Title and Licensing (TTL), it's not the Out The Door (OTD) price.

If you are claiming 23k OTD but actually ended up paying 24.5-25k after all is said and done, you are building unrealistic expectations for others.

I just bought my 2012 prius two, 4 days ago from Tansky Toyota in Columbus for 23,000 + Tax, Title, and Licensing for an OTD of ~24,600 if I remember correctly. This included floor mats.

Also your post says it was a 2011 prius, was that a typo?

20. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The OP is talking about a 2012. (When I posted about my daughter's purchase, it was a 2011.)
    And he listed the price in a later post as $22637 out-the-door.:rolleyes: He can't get much clearer than that.