1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After 3+ years, got the "low key battery" warning

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gokhan, Jan 25, 2024.

1. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    To open the fobs, take the key out and the halves pull apart with fingers in the key gap. Extremely easy and tool free.
    I’m picking up some new batts today at Target, name brand at very reasonable cost, $1.25 each.

2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Name brands are made by third-party Chinese companies unless they are a major brand. You would have been better off with an eBay Panasonic cell at less than a buck each.

Even if it were counterfeit as you thought it might be (it isn't), you would still not be worse off, as your cheap "name brand" is made by a Chinese company anyway.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It’s a good idea to open the fob once a year and blow the dust out

4. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I only implied you don’t know enough unless it’s an authorized retailer. I’ll stay with that. Which you don’t hear. You ignore the question where do they get the batteries on ebay so cheap. Doesn’t matter, it ends being a discussion at that point. Buy them anywhere you want.
    I got from this to remember to replace my fob and garage remote batteries and keep one in the car. And get them from a source that gets them from the manufacturer. I come here to learn things, and also learned it is an addiction to come here.
    You may have gotten from this you don’t need a screwdriver to open the case, which like you, I didn’t know either until last night. I did use a small screwdriver in the provided slot to pop out the battery. I had it upside down and the plastic pad fell out and went invisible for a while. It only goes together one way, easy to put together.
    The Energizers I got at Target are made in Indonesia. Four battery package $4.99 - 15% off today.

#24 Mr.Vanvandenburg, Jan 27, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i bought some cheap eyedrops on ebay, and then thought, 'what am i doing?'

6. pasta4breakfast

pasta4breakfast Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    When my first battery died, I purchased rechargeable LIR2032 3.6V batteries from Amazon. I probably won't do that again. I feel like I have to recharge them almost every month. It probably isn't good for the key fob's longevity that I am using a battery with a slightly different voltage and am opening and closing the key fob so often. I guess I will save the rechargeable ones for the Tiles I place on my key chain and in the car. I don't care if their longevity is affected because I want to replace them with airtags eventually.

7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Energizer is a good brand. If they are made in Indonesia, chances are that they are also being made by Panasonic or perhaps a common third-party manufacturer. Or perhaps Energizer is making the Panasonic coin cells. I doubt there is more than one coin-cell factory in Indonesia.

They really can't make counterfeit coin cells because they are hard to make, and anything counterfeit wouldn't work. A third-party Chinese manufacturer wouldn't endanger its big business by selling counterfeit cells along with its regular business. It is perfectly OK to buy coin cells on eBay or at wherever you want. They used to sell ACDelco etc. coin cells for about a buck for a three-pack at dollar stores. However, I checked it tonight, and it's a single-pack ACDelco for $1.29 or so. eBay is the best place to get button and coin cells with a lot of selection and a variety of brands and low prices. You won't find every watch cell at Target or Walmart.

#27 Gokhan, Jan 28, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  8. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    They make rechargeable coin cells? What is next?

However, I should add that most new secondary-cell (aka rechargeable-battery) technologies are tested in the lab in a coin cell first.

#28 Gokhan, Jan 28, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  9. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It seems Indonesia is becoming the hub for coin batteries. I would guess they have their own company factories because most claim proprietary this and that. I really don’t think they buy same and have brand put on. Maxell may be made in Japan. Murata is a good electronic ceramic company and bought the Sony coin battery business. Toshiba should be good. Renata, Varta, I finally burned out looking at batteries online.

Gokhan likes this.
  10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's what has been keeping computer clocks set for years.

11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have extensively worked on computer motherboards. They use regular, nonrechargeable lithium-metal coin cells.