1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Passanger Blower Motor (Anything Good?)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by andreimontreal, Feb 8, 2019.

1. andreimontreal

andreimontreal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think my passenger blower motor has a rusted shaft. Very likely I might need to replace it (later if not sooner). Anybody would care to pitch in if they tried aftermarket motor blowers with good results? I am in Canada, east coast; post US sources too - sometimes I buy from there.

Here's a thread with the problem, for those wondering: Prius 2013 Blower Motor Trouble | PriusChat . My shaft's tip is rusted like that and when running, it makes occasionally low volume high pitch noise like nails on a chalk board - not a fan of that noise.

I'll call Toyota service Monday too, to get the OEM price to compare. Is OEM the best in this case or it doesn't matter.

Andrei

2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It would depend on the price difference to me and how hard it is to chane it..

3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I was successful at making the noise go away with wd40

4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    WD 40 cures a lot of problems.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Light motor oil, sewing machine oil, etc., can also work well in light motors. I've heard WD-40 isn't really much of a long-term lubricant.

6. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I played with it and I managed to dismantle it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks like there's some fine grit, dust in there. Probably from the graphite brushes (or whatever it is and it's called - talking off the top of my head here). At least it looks like I don't have to drill anything. There's a lot of dust on that cone inside. And it's falling outside, check this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway, probably I should do a thread on dismantling this motor, for other people wondering.

Looking at parts in Canada, I see these two online - they're in the top search results:

62$ Motor - says OE, I wonder if it is OEM at all.

182$ Metrix Motor - ... with 5/5 stars from the never found reviews.

PS: Yes, ChapmanF, fine oil for mechanical work was on the back of my mind. That's why I am working on dismantling it, to be able to drop some of that oil in the right spots.

7. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE: Drilled some holes (2 symmetrical opening, one opening is 2 drilled holes joined by cutting). I poured about 3-4 drops of sewing machine oil on each side, gave it a spin by hand, then using this 12V source I gave it a spin for 1-2 min. It seems smoother so I guess the problem is solved. Will see tomorrow morning once mounted.

I might've over-done it with those holes. One small hole at the tip of the triangle looks like it would've been enough.

Should I cover these holes with some tape or something? Idk what the issues might be, just asking ... Either way, so far it looks like new parts will wait.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll do a separate more elaborate thread on dismantling this tomorrow morning. I imagine some people might look for this in the future.

tankyuong and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe there are 2 bearings, one at each end. But if the noise is gone, that's the important part. :)
    I would still look into a new motor though. How long did they run without lube? So they are worn.
    Sooner or later they will probably freeze or start making noise again. Hopefully, later than sooner! :)

No real reason to cover the holes, it's only the fan blade. It's not keeping the oil in the bearing.

9. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was overthinking that it might start to "whistle" - you never know. In the test there was nothing but I still put some M3 tape over it. Yeah, it's either 2 bearings or two roller bearings based on Teflon, couldn't say for sure, either way, it needed lubrication.

I think you're right ASRDogman, I give it 1-2 years before it starts to make trouble again. Also, judging by the amount of dust from those motor brushes, I'd say it's quite used. I remember when I was a kid and my dad changed those graphite pieces in our old vacuum - that's a reason why these motors crap out. In a few months it won't matter as cash won't be an issues; I have too many expenses for now - converting my Prius to a camper/surf car, surfboards, wetties, just bought the car - so dropping quite a bit of dough at once. If you add 150$ here, 100$ there it adds up quickly ;). So, buying time if I can - I work seasonally, in a couple of months I'm milking the cash cow again.

Andrei

#9 andreimontreal, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "Should I cover these holes with some tape or something?" RTV...and let it set up 24hrs.

11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Squirt a dab of silicon in the holes and let it dry. I don't think it will whistle, but, better safe than sorry. :)

In my van I pulled the blower motor, it was stiff. I used WD-40 to loosen it up, then some spray grease.
    It lasted about 4 months I think it was. Long enough to find a new one on ebay, on SALE! :)

12. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had some sewing machine oil. The high pitch is out; it was the sound of a dry shaft/rotating parts. Just did some in car tests, put it back, tested again. By the sound of it, I think there's a bit of friction, not a sound that bothers, this is very fine stuff - and it might be the way these fans are running, I have no point of reference for now. Eventually I'll replace it.

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  14. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any idea how VDO, TYC, SKP, Four Seasons compare to each other?

Keep them sources coming, I'm sure someone will browse in the future.

15. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A