1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Almost got my Prime, however I have a question before I pull the trigger

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Waterobert, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Waterobert

Waterobert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hi guys ! Today I went for test drive and I've got to say that Prime Advanced is a really nice car.
    So, two hours later I got reasonable deal from the dealer I went too . Only issue I have is that, out off all the colors dealer has on the lot,he doesn't have titanium glow. Not a deal breaker, however I would like to get the color I really like.
    Dealer told me that he is expecting titanium glow in few days, can't however promise that he will get car before December, 31st. I am not in rush to drive new car, however I would rather take tax credit for this year and get my $ 4500 in few months then wait until 2019. Dealer told me that if I finalize deal by December 31st but take delivery in Jan 2nd or 3rd I should be fine. On principle I don't believe car dealers !!!
    I could drive to another dealer and start all over again.
    Anyway, what would you do? Thank you for you opinions.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if he is getting the car by december 31, why can't he finalize deal and make delivery?

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I was still working, I'd make the deal, then review the dealer's advice. If it turns out to be BS, then greatly increase the tax withholding exemptions from my paycheck to make up for the delayed credit.

4. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hungry car dealers. End of the month and end of the year. Wants their commission check. I'd think about the color choice he has but act like the desired color is more to your taste. Pause and hesitate - like you're playing a part - because you are. Maybe convince him to convince himself how much he wants to make that current stock car disappear right away. You'd both win. Don't pay for any BS options they might decide to add, and certainly not vin-etch or fabric treatment. Good luck.

5. Waterobert

Waterobert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Dealer told me that he will have VIN number by Thursday ,however it will take additional 2-3 days to actually get the car delivered to him. Dealer is few miles from my home, another is about 25 miles away. Driving time, 2-3 hours to get reasonable offer, I see it as waste off my time to start all over. Here in SoCal you can't get much off from MSRP price.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. i'm just not sure of the tax rules, you want to be sure of course. otherwise, you will be waiting until 2019.
    i'm sure it is in the u.s. tax code, hopefully, someone will post it.

7. Waterobert

Waterobert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My biggest concern is that tax credit may not be available next year. I know that tax credit survived tax reform, however I do not trust our President, he lied more then ones already, lol

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, you want it asap.

ask the dealer to show you the tax code.

9. A Prime Factor

A Prime Factor Formerly "I want my PHEV"

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm in a similar position. The Prime I ordered should be here between Dec. 31 and Jan. 4, but who knows? I need to buy it by Dec. 30 to get the tax credit this year. The salesman told me if they have it in their inventory, even if it hasn't arrived yet, I can purchase and take delivery later, and it counts as a purchase on the day you do paperwork.

I'll wait and see what happens. Probably it will be next week but anything can happen I suppose.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is wasted effort. The dealer won't have any better information than we already do. The IRS does not have sufficient time to get any hardcopy updates out to anyone prior to Dec. 31.

And even if the dealership went online to get the very best information available this week, from either the IRS or from a Congressional website, that will do nothing to ease OP's fears of Cheatin' Ly'n Trump getting Congress to retroactively change it later. Though that won't stop me from possibly getting a Prime this coming spring, I believe it is unlikely for it to be repealed retroactively. This tax issue is now done, Ryan and others are moving on to other things.

11. Waterobert

Waterobert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am not tax expert and hate reading tax forms, however the one we are supposed to use to get tax credit, has line which reads " Enter date vehicle was placed in service". I guess dealer is wrong, otherwise line would say "Enter date vehicle was sold" , but what do I know anyway.

bisco likes this.
  12. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, you need to take delivery on or by Dec. 31st to claim the credit. Car and keys in your hand.

13. Waterobert

Waterobert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I feel more like not trusting dealer and chose different color or dealer.
    So, pearl white , metallic grey or new dealer.
    Metallic grey can get very hot when temperature gets into 90s as it always does summer time around here.
    Pearl white is a little girly for my taste, but I could live with that, I guess.
    New dealer, not looking towards spending 2-3 hours again, just to get "my color" at reasonable price.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  16. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    more than the keys, i think you want it registered. which means you have two more days, unless they are open over the weekend.

18. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just remember, there is no spare in the Prime! If you get a flat you are beholden to a towing company and tire/toyota dealers to get you out of what would have been a 20 minute deal.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. A Prime Factor

A Prime Factor Formerly "I want my PHEV"

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Found a key definition from an appropriate source:

Publication 463 (2016), Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses | Internal Revenue Service

So you would need to not only buy, but presumably also register and insure it and of course, most importantly, possess the car before you can consider it "in service." Otherwise it would not be "available for use...in a personal activity."

The more I think about it, I don't like the idea of purchasing it before it arrives anyway. What if it gets damaged in transit? Not very likely, but with such a big ticket item, one really shouldn't take a risk.

The OP should find the car he likes and just buy it. If you actually have more than one Prime to choose from, good for you! I only have the one. The dealer has none in inventory.