1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Am I under warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mortisha, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mortisha

Mortisha New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Sorry if this is the wrong place, I'm new here.
    2007 prius touring, manufactured April 2007.
    A bunch of warning lights popped up on my dash a few days ago so I scheduled to have it looked at a toyota dealership. I assumed it was the battery which they confirmed and want $3700 to replace. I bought this car used in CA at 95k miles, now in Washington at 127k miles. When I bought it I was under the impression it was under warranty until 2017/150k miles. The mechanic at toyota told me my car is only under the 8 year 100k warranty because of something that changed in 2009? I called toyota customer service who told me it's still under warranty. I even have the original warranty booklet that says 10yr/150k. Is this mechanic just trying to scam me out of money I don't have or am I wrong here believing I'm under warranty still?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty sure you're still covered.

Have you ever taken it into a Toyota dealer before?

3. Mortisha

Mortisha New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I took it in once a couple years ago to have a recall fixed and didn't have any problems.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should call Toyota corporate and ask them BEFORE April. If you're not covered in Washington, have your car brought back to CA and get it covered.

5. Mortisha

Mortisha New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Any chance someone would know the number? I can only find their basic customer service number

6. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another option- get copies of the vehicle diagnosis already performed at this dealer and take that to another local dealer, they might be willing to cover it under warranty. No need to mention anything about the first dealer and potential warranty issue.

7. Mortisha

Mortisha New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I think I've realized the warranty confusion. The 2009 change he mentioned was for WA. The 150k/10 year didn't start here until 2009. My car was already under the warranty in ca where it was originally purchased in 2007. So now I just need to know if that warranty would be transferred to WA standards in 07 or now? I've been calling their customer relations department all day and always get sent straight to voicemail which I've left and receive no calls back.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps @Prius Team can assist here. They are the Toyota US Prius marketing team.

9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The mechanic sounds good to me he is probably correct: I believe WA unfort does provide 10/150 extended CARB warranty. Therefore according to Toyota rules, you are not covered.

According to our notes:
    The 2014 list of CARB States in the US | PriusChat

However, this is one of those borderline legal cases where you want to assume you are covered and ask Toyota to cover this. I think it is a legal gray area because the 2006/2007 Warranty Guide is not very clear, it sort of sounds worded like if its a CA car its covered, and of course, all Prii are CARB-certified. One guy in PA from CA took it to court.

So the mechanic may be technically correct but give Toyota USA a chance to cover this. Let Toyota USA tell you if is covered or not, do not let this guy tell you, because Toyota USA may elect to give you benefit of doubt in this case. Even if they say "no" you can ask them to help anyways...so you got 2 chances for success here. Be nice. Toyota has told me these cases are handled case by case, so make a case.

I will post LINK soon below:
    HV Battery Goodwill Warranty Listing - Toyota Prius USA | PriusChat

#10 wjtracy, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  11. Mortisha

Mortisha New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks. Well, I've left voicemails and emails in multiple places today so hopefully I get a positive answer soon and can get it fixed. I don't have anywhere near how much they're asking to fix it and it's my only car >_<

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Washington State is not, and never has been, a 'full CARB' state. It is one of the two 'partial CARB' states. In WA, there is no 10/150k warranty on anything.

If you have been 'cheating' on your registration and kept the California plates, you might be able to go back to California to get it covered. But if you have registered it in Washington, or in any non-CARB state, then that hybrid & battery warranty has expired.

#12 fuzzy1, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    [I am not a lawyer, more specifically, I am not your lawyer]

As I under stand it, only two facts matter.
    Where was the car sold new (if this was not a CARB state, you have a Federal (8 years, 100,000 mile) warranty, if it was first sold in CARB state, great, move on to the first question.

Where it is registered now, if that is a CARB state and so is the original purchase state, you have the CARB warranty (10 years, 150,000 miles). If you are not registered in a CARB state (and Washington is not for this purpose) you have the Federal Warranty. Dragging the car to CA will not help unless you can get it registered there. Which you can't if it has codes.

I wish you well.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...don't forget the newest partial CARB state Delaware, so we now have WA, PA, DE

fuzzy1 likes this.
  15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Correction to my Post #10 first sentence- WA does NOT provide 10/150 extended coverage

16. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hmm...I don't have any access to your specific data - what I would recommend is to call the Toyota Experience Center at 800-331-4331 - they should be able to give you the final word.

17. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for the direction on this.