1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Another center console recover

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jefe, Jul 17, 2013.

1. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So a couple of weeks ago I realized that my center console (fabric) was worn thin and uncleanable. I started looking here for trailblazers, and sure enough I found several others who had done recovers. Huge thanks to CharlesJ CharlesJ | PriusChat for documenting his. That helped a lot. So here are my pics and experience.

I ordered a piece of scrap leather off of ebay for $5. And I bought some DAP Weldwood contact cement from Lowe's, also $5.

2013-07-16 23.29.13.jpg

Taking the console off was pretty easy, thanks to the tips on here. A lot of folks seem to cover right over the existing fabric, but I decided to remove it to avoid any lingering dirt and smell. Plus, it gave me a rough template to use for my new. Here is my filthy cover off:

2013-07-15 20.15.11.jpg

Sezy likes this.
  2. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cut my leather to match the original fabric, then I stretched it out over the console cover, using clips to hold it on while I pulled it tighter. I let it sit like this overnight, to try to stretch out any wrinkles in the leather.
    2013-07-16 23.29.00.jpg

Then came the arduous task of trimming edges and gluing down the ends. This just took a lot of patience. I would brush on some cement, let it dry a bit, and then stretch the leather out and lay it over the glue. That cement is unforgiving, you stick it down and that's it, no moving it around, so make sure you get it right the first time.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it comes out, are you going to do the inserts on the door panels as well. ;)

SCH-I535

4. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I did the same using a hot glue gun. Worked perfect.
    - Alex

5. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally, here's my final outcome:
    2013-07-17 09.32.03.jpg

Pretty happy with how it turned out.
    Overall, not a hard project at all.

6. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to, obviously for consistency. But I haven't decided whether to do the full dismantle or the "tuck" method that CharlesJ did.

7. caymandiver75

caymandiver75 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Nice post! I need to do this myself on my 2006 Prius (gray cloth interior). How does the leather match and what should I look for when searching for a piece of scrap leather on ebay?

8. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The leather matches the tan plastic very well. It doesn't match the color of the original fabric, but I think that is largely due to the fact that it was really dirty.

There is a ton of scrap leather on ebay. I searched for that very term and found a seller with multiple pieces that were the same color. so I have some extra for the armrests. The main thing is you want to make sure it is a big enough piece. The piece I got for the console was 10.5" x 20". The width was perfect, and I probably cut only 4" off the length.

This is the seller I bought from: dchapman05 | eBay

9. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very nicely done!
    +1
    I plan on doing this very thing myself. Good move removing the sweaty old pad!
    Did you add any foam for padding? I did not see any?
    Still, looks great!

10. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ended up leaving the original foam padding. In retrospect I would have liked to have picked up a new piece. But by that point I was eager to get done. The foam was thin and stretched out. I ended up having to trim it to keep it from bunching under the leather.

KK6PD likes this.
  11. bradr9

bradr9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My cloth one looks like yours. What color did you get from e bay? Was it beige/taupe or cream? You did a great job!!

12. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I got beige/taupe. It matches the beige plastic console perfectly.